Sep 1, 2011, 4:00 PM EST
The New York Times has a story today about the trend of making the low-man on the bullpen totem pole carry the bullpen supplies in some children’s backpack. Usually a girl’s backpack with My Little Pony or something on it. It’s a hazing thing, of course. Two observations:
First, I hate that the alpha and omega of baseball hazing seems to be equating ballplayers with little girls. That’s the joke, see. No ballplayer would want to be a little girl! Ugh, grow up.
Second, my eye-rolls notwithstanding, they’re probably not necessary. Because as everyone knows, the minute the New York Times picks up on a trend, it means that the trend has already passed. I’m sure they’re on to something totally new now.
- Mariners sign Corey Hart 14
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 31
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 18
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 12
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 65
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (112)