Home run celebrating 101

Sep 1, 2011, 8:25 AM EDT

My comment about the Yankees-Red Sox game in the recaps was a little grumpy this morning. But I should admit that I did at least learn something valuable watching the game.  I learned what is and what is not an acceptable form of celebration following a home run.

Remember from Tuesday night’s game that this — unsportsmanlike hand-clapping — is a big no-no and will get a ball thrown at your back:

source:

Last night, in contrast, we learned that this — opening one’s arms to Heaven and thanking God Almighty for smiling upon you and you alone and for bestowing His glory upon you at the expense of your adversaries —  is perfectly acceptable:

source:

Note: pay no attention to those crazy people who observe that this move could also very easily be interpreted as a player saying “Look at me, aren’t I fabulous? Behold, those who witness my accomplishments! Behold and raise your voices to cheer for me!”  Because that is not what he is doing. At all. Perish the thought.

Now, isn’t that easy enough to remember?

1. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 1, 2011 at 8:28 AM

Ortiz looks just as stupid. Why can’t they all be like Varitek, who runs around the bases, touches home, doesn’t make any gestures, and goes into the dugout?

• paperlions - Sep 1, 2011 at 8:37 AM

Completely, 100% totally disagree…..sorry, habit…. ;-)

I meant, completely, 100% totally agree.

2. itsacurse - Sep 1, 2011 at 8:35 AM

And again, I’d like to suggest that maybe it’s OK to express displeasure at a perceived slight without throwing an object at somebody’s body at near-lethal speeds.

3. kopy - Sep 1, 2011 at 8:38 AM

Just do what Domingo Ayala does. Walk out of the box until you reach a certain point, then pop the chain and start jogging. And don’t forget to pay respect. I think these actions are taught at the 2-minute mark.

• FC - Sep 1, 2011 at 8:49 AM

Wait wait wait… he flipped the bat, I thought that was a no-no. And I’m sure tossing the white bucket wouldn’t help either.

• kopy - Sep 1, 2011 at 9:31 AM

I agree that flipping the bat was previously seen as distasteful, but now that Domingo Ayala has declared it to be acceptable I think it will be okay. It isn’t so bad during a game when they don’t have the multiple camera angles showing it repeatedly for effect.

• FC - Sep 1, 2011 at 8:58 AM

Also, the wood comment was hilarious…

4. Jacob - Sep 1, 2011 at 8:56 AM

Assuming Nomar and Schilling were the ones having that conversation, I’m sure it’s just coincidence that they deemed Papi’s celebration acceptable and the other one not.

• paperlions - Sep 1, 2011 at 9:09 AM

No, that’s not it.

What would the reaction be if any announcer stated that he thought the god-celebrations were inappropriate? Despite the fact that thanks to anyone’s god presumably can be done in silence and/or private and not at home plate in view of 40,000 people and TV cameras….

• kellyb9 - Sep 1, 2011 at 9:18 AM

Call me strange, but I don’t care about any celebration whether it be clapping or thanking god as long as its brief. The last thing baseball needs is elaborate end-zone dances.

• paperlions - Sep 1, 2011 at 9:24 AM

It is the hypocrisy that annoys people (mostly), not the celebrations themselves. There is no logical divide between or reason behind what is “acceptable” and what is not.

It is just more unwritten rule silliness.

I have seen a lot of runners trot across the mound this year on their way back to the dugout or on their way back to a base after a foul ball, not a single pitcher has complained.

• cleverbob - Sep 1, 2011 at 10:02 AM

Maybe he was clapping it up for God!

5. Jonny 5 - Sep 1, 2011 at 9:33 AM

Thanking God for letting him hit a home run? I really don’t think so. First of all God hates the AL east. It’s a fact, mostly because of the long drawn out games. So I heard…..

6. yankeesgameday - Sep 1, 2011 at 9:43 AM

He also clapped his hands before raising them above his head. And tell me, what would people think if a pitcher did that after striking ortiz out? Pointless conversation really I suppose.

But this is part of why the Yanks won’t win this year: no pride. If cervelli git hit then ortiz must get hit for doing the exact same thing. I’m not saying hit him in the side of the head and end his career, but something in the bacl, leg or buttocks. It needed to happen last night just the way lackey did it, but they wimped out. Torrents would have drilled him in the 7th. Posada would have done it if he were catching.

They are too passive and gave not only a victory away last night, but their cajones as well.

• yankeesgameday - Sep 1, 2011 at 9:45 AM

Torre, not torrents. Edit function in ’12 please.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Sep 1, 2011 at 10:27 AM

I think it has to do with Cervelli’s celebration being a one time thing while Ortiz does his every time. By no means am I suggesting showboating one time is a reason to get hit but showboating every time makes it ok, I’m just trying to shed some light on the (slightly flawed) logic that seems to be at work here

• daisycutter1 - Sep 1, 2011 at 11:04 AM

The only logic is IOKIYARS. That’s “It’s OK if you’re a Red Sox.” Or Sock. Or whatever the singular is.

Just look at how the media coddled Ortiz (particularly) and Manny Ramirez when they were named as being on the list of failed PED tests taken in 2003. When A-Rod was named as being on the list, it was a media feeding frenzy for weeks.

IOKIYARS. An awkward acronym to live by.

• daisycutter1 - Sep 1, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Torre would have done no such thing. He was notorious, among Yankee fans at least, for *not* retaliating. It was maddening to watch Yankees get hit again and again – and even sometimes injured – with absolutely no response/

Also, if the Yankees won’t win this year – and I don’t think they will – it’ll be because of starting pitching.

• Kevin S. - Sep 1, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Or maybe it’s just that the Yanks aren’t fans of giving out free bases because they’re PMSing.

7. dailyrev - Sep 1, 2011 at 10:43 AM

Solution to problem: any MLB player who has a problem with how opponents celebrate success is forced to watch NBA and NFL scoring highlights. That should provide all the perspective necessary to soothe ravaged egos.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Sep 1, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Maybe during Interleague play, an NL pitcher could throw an actual douchebag at Lackey. Even if it does not hit him, the point should still get across…

8. bcopus - Sep 1, 2011 at 11:37 AM

I missed this. I fell asleep between Beckett’s 0-1 and 0-2 pitch to Texiera. I woke up well rested while Beckett was still digesting that 2nd base exists, is behind him, and Gardner, whom he had allowed on base some hours earlier, was still occupying it. I lost patience as Beckett became aware that he had a glove, there was a ball that had stitches in that glove, and he was almost certainly in the position to do something with that ball using those stitches. So I turned the game off and went back to sleep.

9. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Sep 1, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Honestly, you would think the reactions should be reversed. That was Cervelli’s 2nd homer? Yeah, he’s excited. Ortiz should be able to act like he’s been there before.

Hopefully AJ is able to penetrate the force field Ortiz wears to Yankee games, which has resulted in him getting hit exactly once throughout the ‘rivalry.’ Let’s face it, AJ will probably give up a dozen runs tonight while issuing at least 6 free passes. At least one of those could have some purpose.

10. vgiannotti - Sep 1, 2011 at 1:15 PM

The joke was on Lackey. He intentionally hits a batter leading off an inning, which, if I’m his manager, doesn’t make me very happy. Cervelli eventually comes around to score to give the Yanks a 3-run lead at that point. I think that’s called putting oneself above the team. As noted earlier, Big Papi does it every time he homers, which is 30-40 times a season. Poor Cervelli hits 2 or 3 homers a year and gets drilled for a hand clap? As for the Yanks not retaliating, what sense does it make to give Red Sox hitters free passes. Isn’t that offense potent enough without the help?

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3497)