Sep 1, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
For the most part it’s no longer necessary for teams to place injured players on the disabled list now that rosters have expanded for 25 to 40, as they’re free to call up extra players anyway.
However, the Indians have put Shin-Soo Choo on the shelf with an oblique strain because a DL move allows them to recall Nick Hagadone from the minors before the required 10-day stay following a demotion.
Choo said Monday that he expected to miss at least two weeks, so the DL stint doesn’t change his return timetable any. He’ll try to make it back for the final two weeks of what has been a miserable season filled with multiple injuries and a DUI arrest.
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 7
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 24
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)