Sep 1, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
For the most part it’s no longer necessary for teams to place injured players on the disabled list now that rosters have expanded for 25 to 40, as they’re free to call up extra players anyway.
However, the Indians have put Shin-Soo Choo on the shelf with an oblique strain because a DL move allows them to recall Nick Hagadone from the minors before the required 10-day stay following a demotion.
Choo said Monday that he expected to miss at least two weeks, so the DL stint doesn’t change his return timetable any. He’ll try to make it back for the final two weeks of what has been a miserable season filled with multiple injuries and a DUI arrest.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (182)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)