Sep 1, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
For the most part it’s no longer necessary for teams to place injured players on the disabled list now that rosters have expanded for 25 to 40, as they’re free to call up extra players anyway.
However, the Indians have put Shin-Soo Choo on the shelf with an oblique strain because a DL move allows them to recall Nick Hagadone from the minors before the required 10-day stay following a demotion.
Choo said Monday that he expected to miss at least two weeks, so the DL stint doesn’t change his return timetable any. He’ll try to make it back for the final two weeks of what has been a miserable season filled with multiple injuries and a DUI arrest.
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 0
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 18
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 32
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)