Sep 1, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
For the most part it’s no longer necessary for teams to place injured players on the disabled list now that rosters have expanded for 25 to 40, as they’re free to call up extra players anyway.
However, the Indians have put Shin-Soo Choo on the shelf with an oblique strain because a DL move allows them to recall Nick Hagadone from the minors before the required 10-day stay following a demotion.
Choo said Monday that he expected to miss at least two weeks, so the DL stint doesn’t change his return timetable any. He’ll try to make it back for the final two weeks of what has been a miserable season filled with multiple injuries and a DUI arrest.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 70
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 216
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (216)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)