Sep 1, 2011, 4:16 PM EST
Jake Peavy bounced back from a six-run first inning yesterday to throw four scoreless frames, but his ERA ballooned to 5.17 and afterward he talked about feeling “run down” about 13 months removed from shoulder surgery.
Peavy, who has a 4.61 ERA in 232 innings since the White Sox acquired him from the Padres in mid-2009, explained his status to Doug Padilla of ESPN Chicago:
I feel fine it’s just my right arm. It’s just not back to how it always has been. I can’t wait to get to the winter. I talked to the doctors this morning. I’ve been going as hard as I could possibly go since August of last year with rehab and starting a throwing program. I’m run down. I’m ready to finish these last few starts strong and when the offseason does roll around to regroup and have a normal one.
“I feel fine it’s just my right arm” is one of the more amusing quotes I’ve ever seen from a pitcher and the White Sox can’t feel very confident in Peavy’s ability to reclaim ace status. He hasn’t been dominant since early 2009 and even then his raw numbers were helped an awful lot by pitching half his games at pitcher-friendly Petco Park. For his career Peavy has a 2.74 ERA in 90 starts at Petco Park and a 3.93 ERA in 159 starts everywhere else.
Peavy is owed $17 million next season and Chicago holds a $22 million option or $4 million buyout for 2013.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 7
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 53
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 139
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 35
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (139)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)