Sep 1, 2011, 4:16 PM EST
Jake Peavy bounced back from a six-run first inning yesterday to throw four scoreless frames, but his ERA ballooned to 5.17 and afterward he talked about feeling “run down” about 13 months removed from shoulder surgery.
Peavy, who has a 4.61 ERA in 232 innings since the White Sox acquired him from the Padres in mid-2009, explained his status to Doug Padilla of ESPN Chicago:
I feel fine it’s just my right arm. It’s just not back to how it always has been. I can’t wait to get to the winter. I talked to the doctors this morning. I’ve been going as hard as I could possibly go since August of last year with rehab and starting a throwing program. I’m run down. I’m ready to finish these last few starts strong and when the offseason does roll around to regroup and have a normal one.
“I feel fine it’s just my right arm” is one of the more amusing quotes I’ve ever seen from a pitcher and the White Sox can’t feel very confident in Peavy’s ability to reclaim ace status. He hasn’t been dominant since early 2009 and even then his raw numbers were helped an awful lot by pitching half his games at pitcher-friendly Petco Park. For his career Peavy has a 2.74 ERA in 90 starts at Petco Park and a 3.93 ERA in 159 starts everywhere else.
Peavy is owed $17 million next season and Chicago holds a $22 million option or $4 million buyout for 2013.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 148
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 33
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 36
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 83
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (151)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)