Sep 1, 2011, 4:16 PM EDT
Jake Peavy bounced back from a six-run first inning yesterday to throw four scoreless frames, but his ERA ballooned to 5.17 and afterward he talked about feeling “run down” about 13 months removed from shoulder surgery.
Peavy, who has a 4.61 ERA in 232 innings since the White Sox acquired him from the Padres in mid-2009, explained his status to Doug Padilla of ESPN Chicago:
I feel fine it’s just my right arm. It’s just not back to how it always has been. I can’t wait to get to the winter. I talked to the doctors this morning. I’ve been going as hard as I could possibly go since August of last year with rehab and starting a throwing program. I’m run down. I’m ready to finish these last few starts strong and when the offseason does roll around to regroup and have a normal one.
“I feel fine it’s just my right arm” is one of the more amusing quotes I’ve ever seen from a pitcher and the White Sox can’t feel very confident in Peavy’s ability to reclaim ace status. He hasn’t been dominant since early 2009 and even then his raw numbers were helped an awful lot by pitching half his games at pitcher-friendly Petco Park. For his career Peavy has a 2.74 ERA in 90 starts at Petco Park and a 3.93 ERA in 159 starts everywhere else.
Peavy is owed $17 million next season and Chicago holds a $22 million option or $4 million buyout for 2013.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)