Sep 1, 2011, 4:16 PM EST
Jake Peavy bounced back from a six-run first inning yesterday to throw four scoreless frames, but his ERA ballooned to 5.17 and afterward he talked about feeling “run down” about 13 months removed from shoulder surgery.
Peavy, who has a 4.61 ERA in 232 innings since the White Sox acquired him from the Padres in mid-2009, explained his status to Doug Padilla of ESPN Chicago:
I feel fine it’s just my right arm. It’s just not back to how it always has been. I can’t wait to get to the winter. I talked to the doctors this morning. I’ve been going as hard as I could possibly go since August of last year with rehab and starting a throwing program. I’m run down. I’m ready to finish these last few starts strong and when the offseason does roll around to regroup and have a normal one.
“I feel fine it’s just my right arm” is one of the more amusing quotes I’ve ever seen from a pitcher and the White Sox can’t feel very confident in Peavy’s ability to reclaim ace status. He hasn’t been dominant since early 2009 and even then his raw numbers were helped an awful lot by pitching half his games at pitcher-friendly Petco Park. For his career Peavy has a 2.74 ERA in 90 starts at Petco Park and a 3.93 ERA in 159 starts everywhere else.
Peavy is owed $17 million next season and Chicago holds a $22 million option or $4 million buyout for 2013.
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 57
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 228
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 160
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (228)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (100)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (87)