Jays-Orioles crowd inconvenienced by car racing-related hubbub

Sep 1, 2011, 1:37 PM EST

Camden Yards

This is kind of a mess. Apparently the Baltimore Grand Prix is being run this weekend and this afternoon they’re closing streets and creating havoc to prepare for it.  Only problem: the Blue Jays-Orioles game that just got underway.  Someone I know is at the game and she tweeted about the sparse crowd. I’m guessing this explains some of it.

I mean really, for the Jays-Orioles there must be dozens of people inconvenienced

1. cur68 - Sep 1, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Ha. Ha. I’m sure it has everything to do with the race and nothing to do with how much monkey the Oriels suck. Never mind the crowd.

Craig you HAVE to check out the call Joe West made on Perez, the Jay’s pitcher. Was the 3rd inning. Andino on an 0-2 pitch lines out to center. Nothing, right? West calls Andino back and give him an 0-0 count because he felt that Perez ‘quick-pitched’ Andino. Actually we’re presuming this because it really isn’t clear what bee flew into West’s enormous bonnet. Whatever it was, West has now started overtly umping by the “I do what I wanna do” method. He made an absolutely brutal safe call last night and now this today. Time, I feel, for another “West has got to figgin GO!”post.

• proudlycanadian - Sep 1, 2011 at 2:00 PM

West has been horrible, yet the Jays have not complained for a very good reason. They know that if anyone complains, West will eject him.

• cur68 - Sep 1, 2011 at 2:05 PM

Agree PC, but usually he’s got the semblance of a reason. That “quick pitch” was ridiculous, especially as compared to what the Royals were up to a few games ago. Bud Sea Legs must not really like base ball. He continues to do nothing about the oversized uniform, chinless, fat-arsed presence of Joe West. Anyone who liked ball would have sent Cowboy Joe on his way to his singing career by now.

BTW did you read the linked article? Who the f@ck is “Slugger Tony Bautista”?

• proudlycanadian - Sep 1, 2011 at 2:16 PM

Beats me. I do not kow who that slugger is. I wonder if he is related to Tony The Tiger?

• FC - Sep 1, 2011 at 5:29 PM

WTF? Umpires will punish pitchers for “pitching too quick” but do nothing against pitchers delaying the game on the mound????

2. cur68 - Sep 1, 2011 at 2:12 PM

And Kelly Johnson continues to be a decent Blue Jay. Another homer for Johnson. I’m glad they still get to count them because the Orioles do monkey suck.

3. missthemexpos - Sep 1, 2011 at 2:48 PM

Vlad must have been drinking from the fountain of youth today, brought back memories of his prime with the original Castor boys.

• cur68 - Sep 1, 2011 at 3:04 PM

Meanwhile Brett Lawrie IS the fountain of youth. He just sprayed one over the left field fence. Ha! 8 – 6 Beaver men.

On the down side, Rauch and his trimmed cecum are warming up. For some reason I have a fever and deep pain in my right lower abdominal quadrant. I might need to have my Rauch removed.

• cur68 - Sep 1, 2011 at 3:35 PM

Hey! Talk enough sh!t about Rauch and he gets 3 outs without giving up a run. Nice.

4. proudlycanadian - Sep 1, 2011 at 4:00 PM

Given the traffic mess, I wonder how long it will take the Jays to get to New York?

5. philly56 - Sep 1, 2011 at 6:57 PM

Someone threw a brick at my Honda whilst I was driving around in downtown Baltimore one time – wonder if they have that as part of the grand prix. Navigating chicanes is for noobs, but dodging the wrath of Baltimore’s urban decay, well that is for the pros.

Heh, and people said I should have stopped to exchange insurance information. Yeah maybe, too bad I don’t enjoy being stabbed.

6. lessick - Sep 2, 2011 at 10:56 AM

I was there! Not many others, though. Most downtown businesses are telling people to work from home and the crowd was sparse but the traffic was, indeed, a nightmare.

This was a night game until they moved it a couple of weeks ago and with the O’s in last, there was never any danger of a sellout.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5989)