Man down! Ryan Braun wipes out going for inside-the-parker

Sep 1, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT

Ryan Braun

Ryan Braun crushed a ball into left-center field last night and Cardinals center fielder Allen Craig made an unsuccessful diving attempt on it, at which point Braun was off to the races.

He turned on the jets after rounding first base and looked headed for a stand-up inside-the-park homer, but then lost his footing rounding third base and wiped out, face-first, about 75 feet from the plate.

MLB.com unfortunately hasn’t allowed the video clip to be embedded, so you’ll have to click here to see it. But believe me, it’s worth it.

His did knock in a run with the “triple” and the Milwaukee crowd–which included Braun’s friend and former NBA star Reggie Miller–gave the embarrassed MVP candidate a standing ovation after he was tagged out.

1. Ari Collins - Sep 1, 2011 at 10:23 AM

His smile after (and even during) his pratfall made it better. At least he didn’t take himself too seriously. Laugh at yourself and the world laughs with you, and all that.

• Old Gator - Sep 1, 2011 at 10:30 AM

I never smile when I come off like an asshole. Ergo, I don’t smile much at all.

• Jonny 5 - Sep 1, 2011 at 10:52 AM

Try Bean-o. My Mother in law swears by it.

2. bigleagues - Sep 1, 2011 at 10:25 AM

So when does the first “should Braun have risked his season attempting for a novel inside the park home run?” blog post hit the internet?

• kopy - Sep 1, 2011 at 10:33 AM

I wouldn’t call it novel. Braun was representing the go-ahead run, even though it was the 3rd inning.

• bigleagues - Sep 1, 2011 at 10:37 AM

It’s meant more as a cynical observation than a literal criticism of Braun’s attempt to come home.

• bigleagues - Sep 1, 2011 at 12:17 PM

MORE thumbs down please.

Incidentally, I was lampooning the reaction to Kendrys Morales and Buster Posey incidents, so maybe my attempt at humor wasn’t as funny as I thought it was . . . but just to be clear it wasn’t a negative comment toward Braun.

3. phillyphever - Sep 1, 2011 at 10:34 AM

Man was running like his hair was on FIRE!!!

4. dailyrev - Sep 1, 2011 at 10:35 AM

I’m sure it feels a lot better when you’re sitting 9 games atop your division. But the real RB highlight today should be that catch he made last night, on a ball that I think Molina hit. Stunning play from a certain future MVP.

5. cur68 - Sep 1, 2011 at 10:37 AM

Pity he fell down. And h wasn’t even drunk. What’s his excuse going to be, the unexpected turf change at 3rd tripped him? Oh well, at least he could laugh about it.

• professor59 - Sep 1, 2011 at 12:57 PM

Pretty sure Josh Hamilton blamed the whole thing on the third base coach.

6. Jonny 5 - Sep 1, 2011 at 10:44 AM

Maybe he should now be “in consideration” for the MVP award?

7. drkincaid - Sep 1, 2011 at 10:46 AM

Hey Craig, Reggie is not a Hall of Famer. He should be, but he’s not one yet. Honest mistake or another example of mid-western bias?

8. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 1, 2011 at 10:46 AM

I’m thinking I’ll be in the minority here (what else is new) but I think it is ridiculous to be smiling and laughing about making an out in a tie game in the 3rd inning. Sure, he fell, but then to just stand there and almost let yourself get tagged out by the catcher? Then what little attempt at a rundown he made? Yeah, I know it was funny to everyone else, but to smile about making an out is just unacceptable.

• ThisIsBaseball - Sep 1, 2011 at 10:59 AM

I can’t tell if your post is sarcastic or not.. but assuming its not. I don’t think we understand 1) how out of breath he was from running, or 2) how much falling knocked the wind out of him. I imagine falling like he did would knock the wind out of you, on top of being winded from running so hard and the initial shock/pain from falling. Cut the guy a break. Itd rather he laugh at how stupid he looked not only to the people in the stands but everyone who will watch the replay, then throw a tantrum. Having a level head on his shoulders is part of what makes him so likable.

• paperlions - Sep 1, 2011 at 11:12 AM

He isn’t be sarcastic, Chris takes all aspects of life, even games, too seriously….and says things like “player X is doesn’t play better because he doesn’t have any pride”, and is serious when he says it.

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 1, 2011 at 11:32 AM

No TIB I wasnt being sarcastic as my good friend paper points out. And when I see a play like this I wonder on the back of my mind who would smile after a play like this. And I think most players would. And I think most fans are laughing right along with him.

But I also think who WOULDN’T have smiled. And on THAT list is some of my favorite all-time players. You know…names like Chase Utley, Pete Rose, Hank Aaron, Joe Morgan, and Jason Varitek just to name a few.

Like I said…I know I am in the minority here and I’m not saying anything to change anyone’s mind. He smiled, most people liked it including him, Reggie miller, and most of the Milwaukee crowd. That’s there prerogative as much as it’s mine to think it was wrong to smile.

Maybe I was a hit harsh on him not hustling I will give you that. But the smiling was what really got me more than anything.

• ThisIsBaseball - Sep 1, 2011 at 11:49 AM

I think if he had thrown his helmet on the ground, or show frustration/anger in another way, we would be having a conversation about how he was being a baby. Had he walked off the field and showed no emotion, we would have a conversation about how he doesn’t have the drive, or desire, that a player of his caliber should.

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 1, 2011 at 12:02 PM

TIB…you and I couldn’t disagree any more strongly on what you just said. If he slams his helmet he is showing that he is mad at himself for making the out. If he shows no emotion it is him trying not to slam his stuff down or punch somebody. If he smiles, it’s just like “eh…no biggie”. Which is perfectly fine for most people. For me the smiling was off putting. Just a difference of opinion that’s all. I don’t think everyone is wrong. I’m just saying I didn’t think it was right of Braun to smile during and after getting tagged out. That’s all.

• uberfatty - Sep 1, 2011 at 12:15 PM

Couldn’t he have just been smiling because of how ridiculous he looked? It looked to me like a half embarrassed, “did I just do that?” chuckle. It’s not like he was HAPPY about it.

I know when I make a mistake on something easy my first reaction is to laugh at what a doofus I was. He was probably just imagining himself at the top of SportsCenter’s Not Top Ten list.

• bigleagues - Sep 1, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Yes, you are squarely in the minority. In fact, you may be the only conscious baseball fan in America who would view that play and come to those conclusions. You are conscious, right?

Manny Ramirez, Ryan Braun is not. And besides Manny wouldn’t have even been around 3rd.

9. nolanwiffle - Sep 1, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Dude just sprinted 75.8 yards….he’s gassed. Then he flops on his face in front of 35,000 people…..it was humorous. He’s human. He laughed. Big deal.

10. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 1, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Just out of curiosity, if the exact same thing had happened on the last out of the game with the Brewers down a run, would it have been as funny? Would a smile be ok at that point? Just saying….

• bigleagues - Sep 1, 2011 at 12:05 PM

Ultimately, yes. It would be just as funny.

Ask yourself this question: is Braun known for fumbling around the bases, not hustling and getting caught in run downs?

Or is he known for his hustle and passion for playing the game right?

Go ahead . . . now attempt to make a link between this isolated freak incident and his contract extension.

Checkmate.

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 1, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Bigleagues, first of all I don’t even know the status of Braun and his contract not do I care. I also am not saying Braun doesn’t hustle, is Manny Ramirez, or is a bad guy in general. I am saying this isolated incident was off-putting to me. That’s all I am saying. I also think guys like Utley, Rose, etc would never have smiled in the same situation. Which makes them, just like me, the minority in this situation.

There’s really no reason for any of you to take what I am saying personal. I bet Ryan Braun himself would see where I am coming from.

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 1, 2011 at 12:20 PM

If it makes you feel any better CF, I mostly agree with you.

• uberfatty - Sep 1, 2011 at 12:21 PM

So what you are saying is that you know exactly how certain ballplayers would react in a similar situation? That must be nice.

Also, couldn’t the same thing have been said about Braun before yesterday’s events? Wouldn’t that put a gaping hole in your logic?

• paperlions - Sep 1, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Logic? Where?

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 1, 2011 at 12:30 PM

Uber, maybe…maybe not. But I know 100% that Chase Utley would not be smiling after he got tagged out. I don’t care what happened beforehand.

Here’s how I think it would have happened if it were Utley. He gets tagged out, walks back to the dugout with a scowl, Jimmy Rollins says something funny, some other guys smile, Chase gives a half-hearted semi-grin, then sits down. And nobody goes near him. For the rest of the game.

That’s the intensity I like. Then, when he wins a championship, it makes it all the more fun when he’s the guy who yells WORLD F’ING CHAMPIONS. But that’s just me.

• bigleagues - Sep 1, 2011 at 12:41 PM

CF:

I really don’t take any of this personally, and sure hope you don’t either. I can sometimes be a bull in a china shop with the way I approach commenting. I may zing some textual daggers or attack the comments of someone who I don’t agree with . . . but its always in good fun and never personal.

Now, let’s use sports talk radio as an example. Whatever the topic there always seems to that one caller who makes a completely outlandish comment. Your comment about Braun is tantamount to being that caller.

In slow-mo, it’s clear that Braun’s legs pretty much gave out on him. He attempted to get up and keep running, but he couldn’t his legs under him. This probably a mix of muscle exhaustion and oxygen depletion.

Nearly everyone who has run a race, or done a series of sprints, played soccer, etc . . . can relate to what Braun had happen to him last night. By the time he did get his feet under him he had a near zero chance of escaping the rundown.

And that’s why your comment has been greeted with such derision.

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 1, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Big,

Again, I already said I was probably a little harsh on the guy for saying he didn’t hustle back to third. I agree that he was hustling all the way, accidentally fell, and then was too gassed to make the rundown competitive. I was 100% wrong to question Braun’s hustle.

Now, I watched both feeds again, and the second one is even more egregious to me. The guy falls and is literally laughing as he falls. Then he is laughing again as he gets up. Then he is smiling and laughing as he gets tagged out at third. I just don’t like it. Not Braun. Not his hustle. Not the falling down and not hustling back up. Just the laughing and smiling.

And I’m never shy about being “that caller” because I say what I feel. I don’t worry about how many thumbs ups and downs I get. One thing you will always get from me is 100% how I feel. I may be wrong, but I come by it honestly.

• bigleagues - Sep 1, 2011 at 3:04 PM

CF:

Fair enough. I Thumbs Upped you for holding your ground and keeping it classy.

One last point I’d like to make though . . . we are always trying to teach the kids (especially the young ones) to have fun while playing. I have seen first hand how ugly parents can be when it comes to their kids not playing well or grasping a skill (at baseball clinics no less).

In an idealistic baseball world, should MLB’ers only be allowed to smile or laugh at themselves when they score a run or make a big play in the field? Or should we recognize that its healthy to laugh on the rare occasion that serious players like Braun do a face plant while rounding third base?

11. purnellmeagrejr - Sep 1, 2011 at 12:34 PM

Lonnie “Skates” Smith, anyone?

12. Ben - Sep 1, 2011 at 3:35 PM

Ben Revere 1, Ryan Braun 0. (For the only time in their careers)

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline