Sep 1, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT
At least one player agrees with the fans and media members annoyed by the length and pace of Yankees-Red Sox games.
After playing in another marathon matchup last night–which was made even longer by Josh Beckett‘s involvement–Mark Teixeira told Tyler Kepner of the New York Times that “it’s brutal” and “I can’t stand playing a nine-inning game in four hours.”
Here’s more from the Yankees first baseman:
It’s not baseball. I don’t even know how to describe it. If I was a fan, why would I want to come watch people sitting around and talking back and forth, going to the mound, 2-0 sliders in the dirt? Four-hour games can’t be fun for a fan, either.
Third baseman Eric Chavez agreed, saying: “I’m a part of it and I still don’t understand why it takes so long.”
If the players don’t like it and the fans don’t like it, who does that leave as happy with the four-hour games? Well, the networks broadcasting the matchups on television probably don’t mind the extra programming and based on MLB’s ongoing non-reaction to the issue they don’t seem to mind either.
- Miguel Cabrera home run Gif > Yu Darvish pitches Gif 0
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 42
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 58
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (107)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights