Sep 1, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT
At least one player agrees with the fans and media members annoyed by the length and pace of Yankees-Red Sox games.
After playing in another marathon matchup last night–which was made even longer by Josh Beckett‘s involvement–Mark Teixeira told Tyler Kepner of the New York Times that “it’s brutal” and “I can’t stand playing a nine-inning game in four hours.”
Here’s more from the Yankees first baseman:
It’s not baseball. I don’t even know how to describe it. If I was a fan, why would I want to come watch people sitting around and talking back and forth, going to the mound, 2-0 sliders in the dirt? Four-hour games can’t be fun for a fan, either.
Third baseman Eric Chavez agreed, saying: “I’m a part of it and I still don’t understand why it takes so long.”
If the players don’t like it and the fans don’t like it, who does that leave as happy with the four-hour games? Well, the networks broadcasting the matchups on television probably don’t mind the extra programming and based on MLB’s ongoing non-reaction to the issue they don’t seem to mind either.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 133
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 19
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 48
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 49
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 355
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (198)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)