Sep 1, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT
At least one player agrees with the fans and media members annoyed by the length and pace of Yankees-Red Sox games.
After playing in another marathon matchup last night–which was made even longer by Josh Beckett‘s involvement–Mark Teixeira told Tyler Kepner of the New York Times that “it’s brutal” and “I can’t stand playing a nine-inning game in four hours.”
Here’s more from the Yankees first baseman:
It’s not baseball. I don’t even know how to describe it. If I was a fan, why would I want to come watch people sitting around and talking back and forth, going to the mound, 2-0 sliders in the dirt? Four-hour games can’t be fun for a fan, either.
Third baseman Eric Chavez agreed, saying: “I’m a part of it and I still don’t understand why it takes so long.”
If the players don’t like it and the fans don’t like it, who does that leave as happy with the four-hour games? Well, the networks broadcasting the matchups on television probably don’t mind the extra programming and based on MLB’s ongoing non-reaction to the issue they don’t seem to mind either.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 15
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 34
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 109
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)