Sep 1, 2011, 5:16 PM EST
Padres chief executive officer Jeff Moorad has said repeatedly that the team’s next television deal would lead to a significant increase in revenue and payroll, and it looks like that deal will be with FOX Sports.
Jay Posner of the San Diego Union Tribune reports that “the Padres and Fox Sports Regional Networks are very close to an agreement in principle for a new network called Fox Sports San Diego to carry Padres games beginning with the 2012 season.”
MLB must sign off on the deal, but that’s expected to be a formality.
Padres games have been on Channel 4 San Diego for the past 15 years, but with the contract ending this season the assumption has always been that the team would find a new broadcast partner. According to Posner the Padres currently generate about $16 million per season in television revenue. Moorad has said that next season’s payroll will rise to at least $50 million and the Padres intend to be in the $70 million range eventually, although by the time that happens $70 million will likely be among MLB’s lowest payrolls.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)