Sep 2, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
I’m pretty sure I’m going to use that “murky at best” stuff every time I link an article at Grantland. I’m hoping the fact that I’m friendly with Rany and Jonah and all of those guys will keep them from getting too mad at me for it, but you don’t get to choose your memes and catchphrases. They choose you.
OK, Cards fans, put the revolver down. Because it’s Jonah, know that it’s not some shock piece. He’s running the numbers and the dollars and pointing out all of the difficult considerations that the Cardinals themselves have before them in light of El Hombre’s impending free agency.
Believe me: they’re going to be doing more than saying “we CAN’T lose Pujols!” and then throw their hands up in helplessness. They’re thinking about this stuff hard and, if you care about Pujols’ and the Cardinals’ future, you should be too.
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 9
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 29
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 17
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 30
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (96)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)