Sep 2, 2011, 7:39 PM EDT
Alex Rodriguez is out of the starting lineup for the sixth straight game tonight as he continues to rest his sprained right thumb, but believes he could be back as soon as tomorrow.
According to Dave Hutchinson of the Newark Star-Ledger, Rodriguez felt good after testing his thumb this afternoon by participating in live batting practice and taking grounders.
“It feels pretty good,” he said before tonight’s game. “We had a good day today. We pretty much did everything. We hit live for the first time. I met with the training staff. We’re going to take at least one more day.”
Rodriguez originally injured the thumb in his first game back from knee surgery on August 21 and aggravated the injury during Sunday’s doubleheader against the Orioles. He would probably give it a go if this was a playoff situation, but the Wild-Card leading Yankees obviously have the luxury of resting him for now.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 64
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 11
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 46
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 47
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)