Sep 2, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT
Antonio Bastardo is 6-0 with a 1.38 ERA and 65/19 K/BB ratio in 52 innings, but in case that doesn’t effectively convey his dominance for the Phillies this season Todd Zolecki of MLB.com has an eye-opening stat on the 25-year-old southpaw:
His .112 opponents’ batting average? It currently is the lowest in baseball history for any pitcher with 50 or more innings in a season. Eric Gagne held opponents to a .133 average in 2003, which is the second-best in baseball history.
That’s the year Gagne saved 55 games with a 1.20 ERA for the Dodgers and won the Cy Young award while finishing sixth in the MVP voting.
Bastardo won’t be winning any hardware, but his emergence alongside Ryan Madson is a huge factor in Philadelphia’s championship chances and has allowed the Phillies to rely less and less on former closer Brad Lidge.
Bastardo has been impossible to hit versus lefties (.127) and righties (.103), at home (.105) and on the road (.117), in the first half (.103) and the second half (.127), and with the bases empty (.119) or with runners in scoring position (.094). His opponents’ batting averages by month? .118, .188, .152, .121. And so far in September opponents are 0-for-4.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 88
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 15
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 35
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 40
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 350
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (350)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (185)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)