Sep 2, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT
Antonio Bastardo is 6-0 with a 1.38 ERA and 65/19 K/BB ratio in 52 innings, but in case that doesn’t effectively convey his dominance for the Phillies this season Todd Zolecki of MLB.com has an eye-opening stat on the 25-year-old southpaw:
His .112 opponents’ batting average? It currently is the lowest in baseball history for any pitcher with 50 or more innings in a season. Eric Gagne held opponents to a .133 average in 2003, which is the second-best in baseball history.
That’s the year Gagne saved 55 games with a 1.20 ERA for the Dodgers and won the Cy Young award while finishing sixth in the MVP voting.
Bastardo won’t be winning any hardware, but his emergence alongside Ryan Madson is a huge factor in Philadelphia’s championship chances and has allowed the Phillies to rely less and less on former closer Brad Lidge.
Bastardo has been impossible to hit versus lefties (.127) and righties (.103), at home (.105) and on the road (.117), in the first half (.103) and the second half (.127), and with the bases empty (.119) or with runners in scoring position (.094). His opponents’ batting averages by month? .118, .188, .152, .121. And so far in September opponents are 0-for-4.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 69
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)