Sep 2, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT
Antonio Bastardo is 6-0 with a 1.38 ERA and 65/19 K/BB ratio in 52 innings, but in case that doesn’t effectively convey his dominance for the Phillies this season Todd Zolecki of MLB.com has an eye-opening stat on the 25-year-old southpaw:
His .112 opponents’ batting average? It currently is the lowest in baseball history for any pitcher with 50 or more innings in a season. Eric Gagne held opponents to a .133 average in 2003, which is the second-best in baseball history.
That’s the year Gagne saved 55 games with a 1.20 ERA for the Dodgers and won the Cy Young award while finishing sixth in the MVP voting.
Bastardo won’t be winning any hardware, but his emergence alongside Ryan Madson is a huge factor in Philadelphia’s championship chances and has allowed the Phillies to rely less and less on former closer Brad Lidge.
Bastardo has been impossible to hit versus lefties (.127) and righties (.103), at home (.105) and on the road (.117), in the first half (.103) and the second half (.127), and with the bases empty (.119) or with runners in scoring position (.094). His opponents’ batting averages by month? .118, .188, .152, .121. And so far in September opponents are 0-for-4.
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 0
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 167
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (169)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)