“Greatness of Jeter yet to be fully appreciated”

Sep 2, 2011, 5:30 PM EDT

Derek Jeter Reuters

That’s the actual headline of Terrence Moore’s latest column over at MLB.com.  And it’s so timely too, because I was just telling some people how underrated and underappreciated Derek Jeter really is.  It’s high time someone pointed out that:

• He’s good at a lot of different things;
  • He’s good in October;
  • He’s a consummate professional and is always friendly with the media;
  • Despite dating movie stars and recording artists, he’s never been in a scandal;

And this sentence actually appears in the column, Non-ironically: “Jeter is equal parts Captain Clutch, Mr. November and the Ultimate Yankee.”

Moore is right, people. It’s high time we quit sleeping on Jeter and understood that he’s a good player who is probably going to the Hall of Fame someday if folks actually start appreciating that he’s a good baseball player.

1. ditto65 - Sep 2, 2011 at 5:33 PM

“Jeter is equal parts Captain Clutch, Mr. November and the Ultimate Yankee.”

Yeah, but is he Mr. Coffee?

2. yankeesfanlen - Sep 2, 2011 at 5:33 PM

The sooner Beep-beep gets inducted in the Hall, the happier I’ll be.

• bigharold - Sep 2, 2011 at 5:51 PM

You’ll have about nine years to wait on that, ..cause although he’ll be a first round there is a five year wait.

• jimbo1949 - Sep 2, 2011 at 5:54 PM

The Ultimate Left Handed Compliment. 2+

3. cur68 - Sep 2, 2011 at 5:35 PM

*facepalm*

How does anyone write something like that in all seriousness? Craig, you sure it isn’t a spoof piece? Have you considered that?
    Actually I read it and agree; he’s serious. Now I need to go have a shot of insulin.

4. duvisited - Sep 2, 2011 at 5:35 PM

“Unlike New York Yankees teammate Alex Rodriguez, for instance, Jeter isn’t spectacular at fielding, throwing, hitting, slugging or just existing away from the ballpark…”

I thought we all agreed that Jeter was pretty spectacular at existing away from the ballpark. I mean, he does have a 30,000 square foot house.

5. Damon - Sep 2, 2011 at 5:45 PM

I never understood why Jeter has never had a family

• Roger Moore - Sep 2, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Maybe because New York didn’t legalize gay marriage until this year.

• dondada10 - Sep 2, 2011 at 6:38 PM

If by gay marriage you meaning washing his face with the juices of supermodels.

• jimbo1949 - Sep 2, 2011 at 7:06 PM

Ya know, ya didn’t have to go there but ya did. Way to stay classy Roger Moore. And ya also broke the rules. Don’t let the door hit ya.

• Kevin S. - Sep 2, 2011 at 8:59 PM

The sad thing is, fifteen people seemed to think “Jeter’s gay!” warranted a thumbs up.

6. JBerardi - Sep 2, 2011 at 5:46 PM

Are we sure this is from MLB.com and not The Onion?

• bigharold - Sep 2, 2011 at 5:52 PM

That Onion article was drink out of the nose spewing all over the computer monitor funny.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 3, 2011 at 9:46 AM

Nah the onion does better articles like:

7. ditto65 - Sep 2, 2011 at 5:47 PM

“…he always gives direct eye contact to every questioner while delivering his answers with even tones.”

That, my friends, is the definition of Greatness: eye contact.

8. southofheaven81 - Sep 2, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Jeter is one of the top 5 players ever on the most decorated sports team of all-time. He’s played the most games for them, has the most overall hits, singles, stolen bases, and he’s about a year away from leading on doubles,and he’s ranked in the franchise’s top five for almost all other hitting records. He’s been relentlessly mocked for having a subpar season and come back to shove it down his critics’ throats. He’s not underrated, he’s f***ing awesome. Thumbs down this all you want, I really don’t care.

• ditto65 - Sep 2, 2011 at 6:08 PM

OK. I will also post this so people can thumbs down here, as well.

• ditto65 - Sep 2, 2011 at 6:09 PM

I think the reaction to this article is the fact that all of the free world (and most of the world still held in captivity) knows of Jeter’s “Greatness”.

• mrfloydpink - Sep 2, 2011 at 7:46 PM

Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle, Berra. Who among those is worse than Jeter? Because if you can’t answer that question, then Jeter is not a top five Yankee.

• southofheaven81 - Sep 2, 2011 at 8:54 PM

Okay, I’ll bite.

Ruth, Rivera, Mantle, Jeter, DiMaggio. Berra rules but he’s boosted by the 10 World Series rings.

And I’ll also stand by Rivera at #2. He and Ruth are the 2 Yankees who were the best ever at what they did.

DiMaggio was a great hitter but he lost his best years to the war. Also, he beat up Marilyn Monroe, which has nothing to do with baseball, but c’mon, HE BEAT UP MARILYN FUCKING MONROE!!!

• mrfloydpink - Sep 2, 2011 at 9:55 PM

FIrst of all, Jeter is better than Gehrig? Are you kidding me? They both have 17 seasons, at the moment. Gehrig’s WAR was 118, Jeter’s is 71. If you don’t like advanced stats, and I am guessing you don’t, then Gehrig has the edge over Jeter in nearly every offensive category but hits, including doubles (534 to 488), triples (163 to 65), home runs (493 to 238), walks (1508 to 987), average (.340 to .313), OBP (.447 to .383), and OPS+ (178 to 118). Some of those–particularly the gap in HR, OBP, and OPS+ are pretty astounding. Even if Jeter played defense at the level of Ozzie Smith, which he most certainly does not, it would not come close to making up 60 points of OPS+. I mean, 60 points of OPS+, offensively, is the difference between Rickey Henderson (127 OPS+ career) and Bob Uecker (62 OPS+).

And I don’t even know how to explain how wrong you are about Rivera. I don’t disagree that he’s the greatest RP of all time. But there’s no way that he can, in 60 or 70 or 80 innings a year, provide as much value as a good hitter. I don’t care if Rivera had never allowed a single walk, hit, run, or blown save in his entire career, he STILL would not be more valuable than Yogi Berra or Lou Gehrig.

9. jeffrp - Sep 2, 2011 at 5:50 PM

• bigharold - Sep 2, 2011 at 5:55 PM

That was great!!

• obpedmypants - Sep 2, 2011 at 7:50 PM

citation needed

10. leighbrarian - Sep 2, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Oh noes! A plague in Monument Park!

Seriously, it’s like a third-grade essay for a who’s-your-hero assignment. “Why I Think Derek Jeter is the Best Baseball Player Ever.”

• jimbo1949 - Sep 2, 2011 at 6:12 PM

Thumbs down for misspelling plaque.

• ditto65 - Sep 2, 2011 at 6:25 PM

I thought the “plague” was intended.

• Joe - Sep 2, 2011 at 6:20 PM

I’m glad someone else caught that typo.

“That means a plague in Monument Park at Yankee Stadium is in Jeter’s future.” I wonder what the mechanics of that will be–will Jeter only suffer while he’s in Monument Park? Will he be caged there, to suffer indefinitely? Is he such a Yankee that he would consent to tolerating a plague, just to be afforded a spot of honor in Monument Park?

11. FC - Sep 2, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Craig adjusted his specs once more. Apparently fans felt a compulsion to send him these things. Right there on his table was another package. Unwrapped. Another box. Another bobble-head figure. Derek Jeter with a tag exclaiming: Most Under appreciated Player Ever. Jeter’s smile was more suave though.

“What shall we do with this one?”, asked Tiffany.

“Deal with it the same way we dealt with the Howard one”, said Craig with a tone that brooked no argument.

Tiffany made a face. “You know, there should be a law against treating baseball figures in that fashion,” she replied.

“When they do we’ll come up with something else,” Craig waved his hand in dismissal and polished his pipe on the arm of his Braves Bathrobe. There was baseball to enjoy this Labor Day Weekend. He pressed a button on the arm of his chair and the huge portrait of the 1995 Braves over the fireplace recessed into the wall to give way to the 70″ LED screen. With super sub-divisions in place he could split the surface into 4×4 screens and have all baseball games on simultaneously if so desired. Though he probably will reserve the middle four squares for whatever game caught his attention. He could always maximize any game to full screen at any time.

Tonight was a good night indeed for watching Baseball….

• Craig Calcaterra - Sep 2, 2011 at 6:29 PM

I have to tell you, FC, I have absolutely loved these. To the point where I think I may just have to buy the robe and the bubble pipe.

• jimbo1949 - Sep 2, 2011 at 7:12 PM

What about the underoos?

• cur68 - Sep 2, 2011 at 7:28 PM

For the love of corn, buy some pants too, man! And get the arm chair. Claw foot. Leather. Recliner.

• ditto65 - Sep 2, 2011 at 8:04 PM

Like you don’t already have them…

• ditto65 - Sep 2, 2011 at 9:11 PM

It reminds me of “The Snows of Kilimanjaro”.

• FC - Sep 3, 2011 at 12:16 PM

Thanks! High Praise indeed. I’m still trying to find the right balance between satire and over-the-top silliness. I aim to write when inspiration strikes, not write just because (I believe in quality over quantity, however I do fall into that trap from time to time).

12. addictedzone - Sep 2, 2011 at 5:57 PM

“It’s high time we quit sleeping on Jeter”

Minka quit.

13. catsmeat - Sep 2, 2011 at 6:19 PM

I, for one, am glad that people are FINALLY starting to notice this guy. He’s been plugging away in virtual anonymity for years, putting together really solid offensive numbers for a shortstop without any of the fanfare afforded to most star athletes. It’s as if, because he plays for the New York Yankees with all of the storied players that have come up through their ranks, he just can’t get the attention that he truly deserves.

Bravo, Terrence Moore. You have taken a truly bold stance.

• Justin - Sep 2, 2011 at 6:40 PM

This is either the most blatant sarcasm ever written or a very delusional fan. Either way, it was good for an onslaught of laughs.

14. proudlycanadian - Sep 2, 2011 at 8:11 PM

The great Jeter showed off his talent at air mailing a throw tonight. It looked elegant, but since Swisher is a bit shorter than Tex, the runner was safe.

• jimbo1949 - Sep 2, 2011 at 8:29 PM

Yes, and Escobar complimented him in the next inning. Dueling E6s. His opponents are in such awe of Jeter they try to imitate him in every way.

• cur68 - Sep 2, 2011 at 8:35 PM

Yep. Missed the tag. E6.

• cur68 - Sep 2, 2011 at 8:29 PM

I see we are watching the same game PC. I’m on about a 20 minute delay (the benefits of a pvr means I can speed Nova up between pitches). So far the Slugger Tony Bautista > than the Slugger Steve Granderson (I’m auditioning for a job as a sportswriter in Baltimore: can’t be too demanding a job, right?) & Morrow > Nova. Also we can confirm that Swisher is not as tall as Tex but Tex isn’t 8 feet tall either, which is about what he’d have had to have been to reel in Mr. Under Appreciated’s throw.

Pity Russ Martin can really throw. I miss Posada some days.

15. tuftsb - Sep 2, 2011 at 10:19 PM

Per Moore article December 31, 2010…

“NOBODY who was an active participant during the steroid era gets into Cooperstown on my watch.”

So Moore will not vote for Jeter for the HOF?

16. yournuts - Sep 3, 2011 at 2:25 AM

Realistically you can not compare Jeter to Gehrig. The numbers don’t really mean anything. The era is completely different. #1. During Gehrig’s time the color barrier was not broken and Latin players were not involved in the game. It was 99.9 % a white mans game and that influences the numbers. The players are a lot stronger and better today then they were during Gehrig’s time too. The pitchers throw a lot harder now and have much better stuff. Now the best baseball players are coming to MLB from all over the world. Jeter is not done yet but he is appreciated by the Yankee faithful, respected by his peers and hated by the fans of other teams.

As far as Berra goes you can make the same statement for him. The color barrier was broken during his years. He was a great catcher during his era. There is no such thing as the top five Yankees of all time because there are about 8 to 10 that during their era were dominant. RUTH, GEHRIG, DIMAGGIO, MANTLE, MUNSON, JACKSON, HENDERSON, BERRA, FORD, MARTIN, DICKEY, HOWARD, GUIDREY, RIVERIA.

• yankeefan1950 - Sep 3, 2011 at 6:55 AM

Henderson and Jackson are debatable simply because they weren’t Yankees for very long. Martin? No way he belongs on anybody’s list of great players. He was one of several 2nd basemen (Coleman, McDougald, Richardson, etc.) that platooned during Stengel’s time. He was spunky, was a great World Series player (as was Richardson) and, according to Steinbrenner many years later, a warrior. But an all time great? Not even close. And all the people who don’t appreciate Berra as a player, think of this; when knowledgable people (not those of us who comment here) debate the all time great catchers, they talk of Berra in the same breath as Bench, Fiske, Dickey, Campanella and Josh Gibson. Notice I didn’t say all time Yankees, I said all time, period.

17. kellyb9 - Sep 3, 2011 at 9:19 AM

Never heard of him.. must play for a small market team.

18. jwbiii - Sep 3, 2011 at 10:30 AM

I love the smell of sarcasm in the morning.

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3125)