If you like bald guys, root for the Dbacks tonight

Sep 2, 2011, 2:00 PM EDT

Kevin Towers

The Diamondbacks head into San Francisco tonight with a six-game lead and the ability to all but put the defending champs away for good.  But, with nine straight wins under their belts, there are even greater things at stake:

Arizona general manager Kevin Towers and club president Derrick Hall offered to sacrifice their hair if the winning streak hits 10 … “Can’t wait to get the 10th win in SF so I can shave some heads!!!!” Arizona infielder Ryan Roberts posted on Twitter.

Kirk Gibson likewise offered to shave his head. Given that he’s been as bald as me since the Reagan Administration, that should take two seconds.

Actually, that’s a lie. Gibson made no such offer. And I imagine that he’d fine anyone who came near him.

1. Graves - Sep 2, 2011 at 2:22 PM

…and by “fine” you mean “break their jaw.”

2. nolanwiffle - Sep 2, 2011 at 2:39 PM

If Phillies phans are to be believed, bald guys are loathesome, vile human beings full of hate for all things they deem good (in red pinstripes hovering near first base).

3. Bill - Sep 2, 2011 at 2:41 PM

Astounding. News that involves shaving AND the San Francisco Giants, and I can’t find a Brian Wilson joke that fits.

4. philly56 - Sep 2, 2011 at 3:14 PM

My prediction: a bald-headed general manager and owner will be talking about a benches clearing brawl started by the world champs and ended by the dbacks by the end of the weekend.

Hey, if the giants act like spoiled children when the phillies play them you gotta imagine the dbacks will get the same or worse the way the nl west is shaping up.

5. nyyankeedave - Sep 2, 2011 at 3:31 PM

Very good chance Dbacks put away Giants by end of weekend. Giants will be back next season, so this is their best shot. As for AZ, that hitting won’t sustain in the playoffs, and they only got ONE elite starter,so they’re out early. It won’t matter anyway, the World Series champ is coming out of the AL this year(my Yankees). But it’ll be hilarious to see the Phillies lose after all the HYPE! They feast on NL crud and the one team they’re afraid of, SF, is on life support. If, IF, they make it to the series, they better pray they don’t meet my Yankees or Boston, hell, even Texas. MARK IT DOWN-YA HEARD IT HERE FIRST.

• cur68 - Sep 2, 2011 at 4:33 PM

yankeedave, while agree with most of what you say I take a modicum of issue with the ‘hype’ thing about the Phills. What’s ‘hyped’ about an 87 – 46 record? They are legitimately very, very, VERY good.

Also, have a look at the crap-shoot thread. The odds are pretty nicely in the Phills phavor of making it to the series: pitching trumps a lot in the post season. No one else has had the rotation depth the Phills enjoy.

And trust me (or not; won’t get offended if you don’t) some real astute people are going to mark it down that you posted this. You may have to eat some words here, because I don’t see the Yankee rotation as being as deep.

In the interests of full disclosure, though, I said much the same stuff in pre-season about the Yankee rotation and here they are again going to play in October most likely. I am eating those words, aren’t I?

• garlicfriesandbaseball - Sep 3, 2011 at 2:11 AM

Ahh c’mon. Phillies had been a very, very VERY good team in MLB last year by the end of the regular season and look what happened to them in the playoffs. They buckled. It takes a real championship team to follow it through to the end.

• gogigantos - Sep 3, 2011 at 12:43 PM

it is all hype till you march down the road Champions
        feel good now
        still a bit to go til walking the walk

6. nyyankeedave - Sep 3, 2011 at 11:57 AM

I heard these same things about Philly last season. And the season before that. Just because you are a very, very, very good team doesn’t mean you’re unbeatable. They WILL lose in the playoffs. Whether it’s in the Series or before that, to whomever. You see, the ’11 Phillies are like last season’s. They’re too cool for school and they’re spoiled. They’re bullies, picking on the NL nerds. And like last season, some nerd, albeit in the NL or in the Series, will fight back, and like all bullies, the Phils will wilt AGAIN. FACT.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet