Sep 2, 2011, 10:47 AM EST
J.D. Drew sprained his finger while on a minor-league rehab assignment for his shoulder injury, so his return from the disabled list has been pushed back for at least a week.
Drew has missed six weeks with a left shoulder impingement and fill-in Josh Reddick initially thrived in his place, but now that Reddick has cooled down considerably the opportunity is there for Drew to reclaim significant playing time down the stretch. If he can get healthy, of course.
As for his shoulder, Drew told Joe McDonald of ESPN Boston that “it felt real good” when he tested the injury by taking batting practice, so as soon as his finger heals the veteran outfielder should be activated.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 74
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)