Sep 2, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
J.D. Drew sprained his finger while on a minor-league rehab assignment for his shoulder injury, so his return from the disabled list has been pushed back for at least a week.
Drew has missed six weeks with a left shoulder impingement and fill-in Josh Reddick initially thrived in his place, but now that Reddick has cooled down considerably the opportunity is there for Drew to reclaim significant playing time down the stretch. If he can get healthy, of course.
As for his shoulder, Drew told Joe McDonald of ESPN Boston that “it felt real good” when he tested the injury by taking batting practice, so as soon as his finger heals the veteran outfielder should be activated.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (94)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (86)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)