Sep 2, 2011, 10:47 AM EST
J.D. Drew sprained his finger while on a minor-league rehab assignment for his shoulder injury, so his return from the disabled list has been pushed back for at least a week.
Drew has missed six weeks with a left shoulder impingement and fill-in Josh Reddick initially thrived in his place, but now that Reddick has cooled down considerably the opportunity is there for Drew to reclaim significant playing time down the stretch. If he can get healthy, of course.
As for his shoulder, Drew told Joe McDonald of ESPN Boston that “it felt real good” when he tested the injury by taking batting practice, so as soon as his finger heals the veteran outfielder should be activated.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 14
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 59
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 38
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)