Sep 2, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Jered Weaver was scheduled to start tonight against the Twins, but instead the Cy Young contender will delay his next turn in the rotation to attend his grandfather’s funeral in Oregon.
No official replacement has been named yet, but Kevin Baxter of the Los Angeles Times reports that rookie Tyler Chatwood is expected to make the start.
Weaver, who leads the league with a 2.27 ERA and signed a five-year, $85 million contract extension last week, is slated to rejoin the Angels in time to start Saturday night versus Minnesota.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)