Sep 2, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Jered Weaver was scheduled to start tonight against the Twins, but instead the Cy Young contender will delay his next turn in the rotation to attend his grandfather’s funeral in Oregon.
No official replacement has been named yet, but Kevin Baxter of the Los Angeles Times reports that rookie Tyler Chatwood is expected to make the start.
Weaver, who leads the league with a 2.27 ERA and signed a five-year, $85 million contract extension last week, is slated to rejoin the Angels in time to start Saturday night versus Minnesota.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)