Sep 2, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Jered Weaver was scheduled to start tonight against the Twins, but instead the Cy Young contender will delay his next turn in the rotation to attend his grandfather’s funeral in Oregon.
No official replacement has been named yet, but Kevin Baxter of the Los Angeles Times reports that rookie Tyler Chatwood is expected to make the start.
Weaver, who leads the league with a 2.27 ERA and signed a five-year, $85 million contract extension last week, is slated to rejoin the Angels in time to start Saturday night versus Minnesota.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (187)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)