Sep 2, 2011, 10:15 AM EST
Jered Weaver was scheduled to start tonight against the Twins, but instead the Cy Young contender will delay his next turn in the rotation to attend his grandfather’s funeral in Oregon.
No official replacement has been named yet, but Kevin Baxter of the Los Angeles Times reports that rookie Tyler Chatwood is expected to make the start.
Weaver, who leads the league with a 2.27 ERA and signed a five-year, $85 million contract extension last week, is slated to rejoin the Angels in time to start Saturday night versus Minnesota.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)