Jesus Montero makes an inauspicious debut

Sep 2, 2011, 8:49 AM EDT

Jesus Montero

I was half-tempted to headline this “Is Jesus Montero a bust?” but even I have limits to how much I can troll people.  Fact is, though, that I bet there are people sitting in their apartments right now thinking that. Some folks get crazy when it comes to prospects. Especially Yankees prospects. But of course it was just one game and after all of the ink spilled about when he’ll come up and where he’ll play, I’m guessing that Montero is happy to have it behind him.

As for that game: Jon Lester — even a Jon Lester with less-than-his-best stuff — is a tough draw.  Montero went 0 for 4. He stranded six on base as well.  Welcome to the big leagues, kid.

1. yankeesfanlen - Sep 2, 2011 at 8:55 AM

At least we have a YOUNG guy stranding runners on base now.

• yankeesgameday - Sep 2, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Hey, he may have had a tough draw against lest last night, but based on his eye, plate discipline and the solid view he did take its easy to see this kid could be a stud once he gets his sea legs.

the real test will be when he gets behind the plate.

2. dohpey28 - Sep 2, 2011 at 8:57 AM

You failed to mention he found a way on base in the 6th, and came around to score the winning run. But lets not let facts get in the way of some good antagonizing.

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 2, 2011 at 9:03 AM

Yeah Craig…his jersey was brushed by a pitch and he was handed first base!!!! How could you not mention how he “found a way on base” and “scored the winning run”????

By the way…how the hell does Montero get on base by getting his jersey brushed while Ortiz gets plunked right on the front of his foot, and the umpire doesn’t give him first base? Did he think the ball did a “magic bullet-esque” jump from Ortiz’s feet to the other side of the batter’s box? Where was the junior Senator from Pennsylvania Arlen Spector when we really needed him?????

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 2, 2011 at 9:38 AM

I don’t normally even notice the thumbs up or down…but…

I guess it must be all Yankees fans coming into this thread who really do think that getting your jersey brushed by a pitch is something special. Or maybe it’s all pro-umpire people coming in who think it was OK that the idiot behind the plate missed Ortiz getting hit by a pitch and not giving him first base while Montero found a way to get his jersey brushed and got first base?

• ThisIsBaseball - Sep 2, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Or bc Spector wasn’t the Junior Senator when he was on the Warren Commission? I’ve learned in the past 24 hours that if you get facts wrong while trying to make a joke, they jump on you for it here.

• bblair917 - Sep 2, 2011 at 10:33 AM

Geting hit in the jersey counts as an HBP. I’m not sure it’s anything special, but it is the rules. The umpire may have missed Ortiz, but they also missed Granderson getting hit and Saltalamacchia going around when he was hit by the pitch the other night.

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 2, 2011 at 10:47 AM

“But rather than admit to a conspiracy or investigate further, the Warren Commission chose to endorse the theory put forth by an ambitious junior counselor, Arlen Spector, one of the grossest lies ever forced on the American people. We’ve come to know it as the “Magic Bullet Theory.” ”

TIB…ya got me…I misquoted one of my favorite movies…JFK. Junior Counselor…not Junior Senator. Sue me.

bblair, didn’t imply that the ump was wrong to hand Montero first base…just thought it was odd that he noticed the ball brush his jersey yet missed how the ball seemed to jump from Ortiz’s foot across the batter’s box the other way without actually hitting his foot. He must have thought it went back…and to the left….back…and to the left….back…and to the left.

• ThisIsBaseball - Sep 2, 2011 at 10:55 AM

I agree that Ortiz was hit and the ump blew it. Just offering a reason why they may have thumbs downed you.

• phukyouk - Sep 2, 2011 at 10:55 AM

chris… lets not forget that the game before the Umps gave the Sox a HBP that they didnt deserve ( or maybe it was 2 games before) this is what we call a make up call

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 2, 2011 at 11:01 AM

youk, I agree that it all evens out. My main point was more for the OP who ripped Craig for not pointing out how Montero “found a way on base” when all he did was leave his shirt untucked a little bit. And then I thought it was ironic that the ump saw that but didn’t seem to notice or care about how the trajectory of the ball went from Oritz’s foot 180 degrees the other way across the box and didn’t rule that a HBP.

3. crazyyankee - Sep 2, 2011 at 9:07 AM

while there were many interesting subject lines last night (lineups, bunts, etc), i thought one of the most interesting was why was he making his debut in the 7-hole behind jones. i would have thought martin would have hit ahead of him and as it was, a more experienced batter may have been better in that position last night. granted martin had THE at-bat of the night, but still, a rookie in the 7 hole?

• proudlycanadian - Sep 2, 2011 at 9:21 AM

The Jays have a 21 year old rookie in the 7 hole and he is hitting quite well.

4. ditto65 - Sep 2, 2011 at 9:19 AM

Not all men named Jesus can perform miracles. First game up v. Lester is a pretty big call, even for the #6 prospect in baseball (according to MLB).

And Len is right; having a young kid strand runners while cutting his teeth is far better than having a potential starter in next year’s Old-Timers game doing the same.

• proudlycanadian - Sep 2, 2011 at 9:27 AM

As far as Montero’s bust is concerned, I think that it is premature to order one for monument park. He still may become a great player, as many future stars struggle when they are first called up.

• thinman61 - Sep 2, 2011 at 9:44 AM

See: Pedroia, Dustin

• proudlycanadian - Sep 2, 2011 at 10:21 AM

I was thinking of Mays, William

• jimbo1949 - Sep 2, 2011 at 11:17 AM

Willie, not William. Willie Howard Mays, Jr.

5. southofheaven81 - Sep 2, 2011 at 9:43 AM

Any update on Tiexiera? He got drilled in the knee and it looked seriously nasty.

6. 18thstreet - Sep 2, 2011 at 9:45 AM

I think it’s a mistake to have a guy make his big league debut in that setting. Francona never would have done that.

• ditto65 - Sep 2, 2011 at 9:53 AM

Ummmm, first day up and the Yankees probably want to see as much of him as they can. Blame the schedule for the setting of his debut, not the manager (which basically means blame no one).

I doubt Jesus is ruined by this “mistake”.

• daisycutter1 - Sep 2, 2011 at 10:23 AM

I have no problem having Montero’s first game be last night’s. May as well throw him right into the rivalry.

He was obviously nervous in his first AB (who wouldn’t be), but he made some nice contact against a top pitcher and scored the winning run.

It doesn’t make for back cover NY Post headlines or anything, but I’m fine with that.

7. brianbowman16 - Sep 2, 2011 at 9:49 AM

I was half-tempted to headline this “Is Jesus Montero a bust?”

This is why I, as an avowed Yankee non-fan ( i woulda said ‘hater’ but i don’t want the toddlers to come out in full force and throw themselves on the ground in a rage induced temper tantrum) think that Craig (as well as Chris) are absolutely FANTASTIC!

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 2, 2011 at 10:10 AM

+1 for that quality comment…I believe this should be the comment of the day.

• brianbowman16 - Sep 2, 2011 at 1:34 PM

Why thank you sir,
        One of you two FINETASTIC GENTLEMEN should write an article titled,
        “Halladays BIceps found to made of Banana Pudding!”

P.S. I’ve re-named my newborn son Florentino Calcaterra

Now let’s start DANCIN’!!!

• daisycutter1 - Sep 2, 2011 at 10:17 AM

Now, now…we Yankee fans know there are “haters” out there. You’re not a special flower or anything.

And I laughed at the opening sentence too.

• CJ - Sep 2, 2011 at 10:21 AM

Personally, I would’ve headlined it “Jesus Montero’s Future is Murky….At Best.”

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 2, 2011 at 10:49 AM

I love this site…

• phukyouk - Sep 2, 2011 at 10:59 AM

yea… comment of the day for sure!

8. hooockey - Sep 2, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Good player, but it’s obvious that Montero is no Brett Lawrie.

• cur68 - Sep 2, 2011 at 1:16 PM

Not to get all up in your grill or anything hooockey( did I get the right number of ‘o’s in that?) Montero can’t be a Lawrie. He’s a catcher and will be known for his D more than his O. That’s a catcher’s lot in in the Bigs. I think what you might want to say is that he isn’t an Salvador Perez (KCR); a good hitter for a catcher (so far) and can field his position above and beyond his level of MLB experience. Once we see the kid behind the plate we’ll be able to say he isn’t a ‘this’ or ‘that’ and we’ll need to see some reps there with guys that bounce them in and guys that throw over 95mph. Then we’ll know who he is or isn’t.

BTW I wory thatLawrie isn’t really Lawrie. He’s been good so far (hell, he’s been great, but I’m trying to temper my blatant fan-boyism with some good honest prudence) but lets see how a full season with a slump or 2, or a string of tough pitchers affect the kid. Does he do an Encarnacion and work his ass off to come back? Does he fold like a cheap suit? Does he drop to mediocre? So far so good, but its the Universe tonight. That’ll tell you something about Lawrie.

Three legends off to Cooperstown