Sep 2, 2011, 6:59 PM EDT
Five weeks after being shut down because of shoulder discomfort, Johan Santana will begin another rehab assignment Saturday with high-A St. Lucie.
ESPNNewYork.com’s Adam Rubin reports that Santana will throw two innings or40 pitches in his first appearance back. If things proceed well, then the chance exists that he’ll come off the DL and make a couple of brief appearances for the Mets at the end of the year.
Santana hasn’t pitched in the majors since surgery a year ago to repair a torn capsule in his shoulder. Not counting what’s left of this year’s $22.5 million salary, the Mets will owe him an $55 million through 2013 or $74.5 million if they want to pick up his 2014 option.
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 0
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 9
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 91
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (109)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (91)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)