Sep 2, 2011, 3:40 PM EST
UPDATE: Youkilis is back in the Red Sox’s lineup and batting cleanup tonight.
Youkilis has been out since August 18 with a strained lower back, but went 2-for-8 with a homer during a brief rehab assignment at Triple-A, deeming himself “good to go” and “as good as I can be for September.”
Youkilis was in a prolonged slump before being shut down, hitting just .181 in his last 20 games, although he did have four homers and 10 walks during that time. Jed Lowrie has started 14 of 16 games at third base in Youkilis’ absence, with Mike Aviles drawing the other two starts.
If nothing else his return should help the Red Sox games drag on even longer.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 8
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 18
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (94)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (84)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (70)