Sep 2, 2011, 8:30 PM EDT
Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post is hearing that Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo is “definitely” on the Cubs’ wish list for their vacant general manager position. We’ve heard a ton of names surface as potential candidates since Jim Hendry was fired two weeks ago, so I’m beginning to think the Cubs just love everyone.
Anyway, Rizzo grew up in Chicago and still has some family in the area, but shot down any speculation that he could be interested in the job.
“I grew up on Waveland Avenue for 30 years, right down the street from the ballpark,” Rizzo said. “And there’s nowhere I’d rather be than the Washington Nationals right now, with where we’re at and what we’re doing and the commitment that the Lerners have shown to me. They’re my hometown team. They were my team growing up. I went to many, many games there. But this is the place I need to be.”
Rizzo signed a five-year extension last offseason, so this probably isn’t a realistic scenario in the first place, but he would be out of his mind to leave now. The National League East doesn’t figure to be an easy place to win any time soon, but after being lucky enough to draft Stephen Strasburg and Bryce Harper in consecutive seasons and spending over $17 million in bonuses in this year’s draft class, Rizzo has laid the groundwork for a perennial contender. You know, as long as you can overlook the Jayson Werth thing.
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead