Sep 2, 2011, 8:30 PM EDT
Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post is hearing that Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo is “definitely” on the Cubs’ wish list for their vacant general manager position. We’ve heard a ton of names surface as potential candidates since Jim Hendry was fired two weeks ago, so I’m beginning to think the Cubs just love everyone.
Anyway, Rizzo grew up in Chicago and still has some family in the area, but shot down any speculation that he could be interested in the job.
“I grew up on Waveland Avenue for 30 years, right down the street from the ballpark,” Rizzo said. “And there’s nowhere I’d rather be than the Washington Nationals right now, with where we’re at and what we’re doing and the commitment that the Lerners have shown to me. They’re my hometown team. They were my team growing up. I went to many, many games there. But this is the place I need to be.”
Rizzo signed a five-year extension last offseason, so this probably isn’t a realistic scenario in the first place, but he would be out of his mind to leave now. The National League East doesn’t figure to be an easy place to win any time soon, but after being lucky enough to draft Stephen Strasburg and Bryce Harper in consecutive seasons and spending over $17 million in bonuses in this year’s draft class, Rizzo has laid the groundwork for a perennial contender. You know, as long as you can overlook the Jayson Werth thing.
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 8
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 3
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 34
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 3
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 13
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)