The Braves release Julio Lugo

Sep 2, 2011, 5:00 PM EDT

Julio Lugo

This is the end. Beautiful friend. This is the end. My only friend, the end. Of Julio Lugo‘s elaborate plans, the end …. we’ll never look into his eyes again …

At least I seriously doubt we will.  The Braves’ signing of Julio Lugo was weird and pointless enough and his performance during his time in Atlanta bore that out.  But now Julio Lugo has been released to make room on the roster for Jack Wilson. If he got another major league job I’d be pretty darn shocked.

Lugo will not, alas, get to help the Braves win a World Championship.  At least directly. His release may have raised the odds somewhat, however.

It hurts … to set you free, but you’ll never follow me …

1. ditto65 - Sep 2, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Julio woke before dawn; he put his boots on. He grabbed a bat from the ancient gallery, and he walked on down the hall!

• mrfloydpink - Sep 2, 2011 at 7:30 PM

And he came to a door. And he looked inside. “Fredi?” “Yes, son.” “I want to kill you.” “Chipper? ….. I want to…”

2. Bill - Sep 2, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Me and Julio, down by the unemployment benefits office.

3. whyfrediwhy - Sep 2, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Goodbye Julio, we hardly knew ye.

Welcome aboard, Jack.

• proudlycanadian - Sep 2, 2011 at 5:18 PM

Soon you will be singing “Hit the road Jack”.

• whyfrediwhy - Sep 2, 2011 at 5:35 PM

I’ll be pretty shocked if Wilson is as inept with the bat as Lugo. Defensively, I’m pretty sure Wilson is an upgrade (Bench D upgrade–hurray!).

4. jamaicanjasta - Sep 2, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Julio, if the summer only knew… That she was losing a friend and lover too, maybe she’d turn her head and wave.

5. jimbo1949 - Sep 2, 2011 at 5:47 PM

You say they showed him the Doors?

6. pisano - Sep 2, 2011 at 5:47 PM

Craig…. Mr. Mojo Risin ( Jim Morrison) would have been proud of your use of his great lyrics. I’ll bet in his wildest dreams he wouldn’t have expected his lyrics to be related to a sports blog. That being said, Julio, “This is theeee ennnnd”

7. bravesman1983 - Sep 2, 2011 at 5:51 PM

He did come up with the “elusive” slide to end that 19-inning marathon against Pittsburgh. Tainted as it is, I suppose I will always have that one good memory of Julio.

• jamaicanjasta - Sep 2, 2011 at 6:27 PM

That and his post game comments about how he knew without a doubt that he was safe. As a Braves fan, I had to laugh at that O.o.

8. purnellmeagrejr - Sep 3, 2011 at 8:58 AM

The Doors generational bonding maneuver left my head piece hangin.

9. robolundgren - Sep 4, 2011 at 10:48 PM

Now he can spend his free time hitting his wife/girlfriend or whatever it was in the (at the time) Enron Field players parking lot.

Papelbon destined to be traded?
  1. G. Stanton (3782)