Sep 2, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
The Cubs have announced that Carlos Zambrano won’t rejoin the team for the rest of the season They will, however, start paying him again on September 11th, which is when his time on the restricted list is up. His grievance remains unresolved.
So that’s this year. Whether he’ll ever rejoin the team is unclear. Given that they seem content to pay him not to be there now, I can’t see why they wouldn’t feel the same way next year. Ultimately, though, this decision should be left to whoever they hire as the new general manager. And may have a lot to do with whether the new general manager decides to replace Mike Quade.
If it’s me I say goodbye to Big Z. If you’re the new Cubs GM you gotta clean the slate. This is doubly true if you’re bringing in a new manager.
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 7
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 44
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 9
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 83
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 20
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- There’s nothing better than a Game 7? Well, maybe there is. 23
- Report: Cubs hire Joe Maddon as manager 68
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (277)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (146)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)