Sep 2, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
The Cubs have announced that Carlos Zambrano won’t rejoin the team for the rest of the season They will, however, start paying him again on September 11th, which is when his time on the restricted list is up. His grievance remains unresolved.
So that’s this year. Whether he’ll ever rejoin the team is unclear. Given that they seem content to pay him not to be there now, I can’t see why they wouldn’t feel the same way next year. Ultimately, though, this decision should be left to whoever they hire as the new general manager. And may have a lot to do with whether the new general manager decides to replace Mike Quade.
If it’s me I say goodbye to Big Z. If you’re the new Cubs GM you gotta clean the slate. This is doubly true if you’re bringing in a new manager.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 97
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 150
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 20
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 51
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (163)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (150)