Sep 2, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
The Cubs have announced that Carlos Zambrano won’t rejoin the team for the rest of the season They will, however, start paying him again on September 11th, which is when his time on the restricted list is up. His grievance remains unresolved.
So that’s this year. Whether he’ll ever rejoin the team is unclear. Given that they seem content to pay him not to be there now, I can’t see why they wouldn’t feel the same way next year. Ultimately, though, this decision should be left to whoever they hire as the new general manager. And may have a lot to do with whether the new general manager decides to replace Mike Quade.
If it’s me I say goodbye to Big Z. If you’re the new Cubs GM you gotta clean the slate. This is doubly true if you’re bringing in a new manager.
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 5
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 22
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 68
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (126)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (69)