Sep 2, 2011, 9:37 AM EDT
I didn’t watch the Yankees-Red Sox game for a number of reasons, but I can gather from the box score and what people are saying today that it was pretty thrilling. And no matter what I think of the length of these affairs, I should probably just put a sock in my complaints. Why? This tweet from Eric Fisher of Sports Business Journal:
Appears to be a strong chance that last night’s 4 hr+ NYY-BOS epic will be YES’ highest rated game of the year. Will know more later today.
I don’t think this stuff translates to the national broadcasts in the postseason, as non-Yankees or Red Sox fans just aren’t going to want to stay up until 1AM for an ALCS game like this. But to that we should probably just say “who cares?” It goes back to what I always say when playoff ratings come up: baseball is a local thing. Last night’s game proved it. If you love the Yankees and the Red Sox, that stuff is manna from heaven. If you don’t, it ain’t.
I don’t, so it ain’t, but that’s a subjective aesthetic opinion. And even if I’d like to see baseball do something to move these things along, I must concede that failing to do so will not represent the end of the world.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)