Sep 2, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
Back in 2009 a young pitcher from the Dominican Republic named Juan Collado signed with the Diamondbacks for $17,000 and even played in Arizona’s minor-league system, but it turned out his name was actually Juan Carlos Paniagua.
MLB suspended him for one year and the deal with the Diamondbacks was voided, but then once he was done sitting out Paniagua signed with the Yankees … for $1.1 million.
So falsifying documents and misrepresenting himself ended up earning Paniagua an extra $1 million. Or it did, briefly. Ben Badler of Baseball America reports that Paniagua has been suspended again and the pitcher’s lucrative deal with the Yankees has also been voided.
MLB has refused to disclose the exact nature of the suspension and apparently they haven’t even told the Yankees, but Badler notes that “one-year suspensions are usually reserved for a player who presents false information to teams about his age or his identity.”
In other words, maybe Juan Carlos Paniagua isn’t actually Juan Carlos Paniagua just like Juan Collado wasn’t actually Juan Collado. And maybe next time he’ll get $2 million.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 24
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 16
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 78
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 53
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (79)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)