Sep 3, 2011, 12:10 PM EDT
While Mark Teixeira will miss his second straight game with a right knee contusion, Alex Rodriguez is back in the lineup this afternoon against the Blue Jays. He’ll play third base and bat third against left-hander Ricky Romero.
Rodriguez missed the previous six games due to a sprained left thumb. He received a cortisone shot earlier this week and felt good during batting practice yesterday, but told Ian Begley of ESPN New York that he will likely have to play with pain in the thumb “for the rest of the season.” With that in mind, he plans to use extra padding for his thumb to help compensate for the pain associated with swinging a bat.
Rodriguez, 36, is batting .289/.361/.478 with 14 home runs, 53 RBI and an .839 OPS over 363 plate appearances this season.
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 9
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 29
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 17
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 30
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)