Sep 3, 2011, 12:10 PM EST
While Mark Teixeira will miss his second straight game with a right knee contusion, Alex Rodriguez is back in the lineup this afternoon against the Blue Jays. He’ll play third base and bat third against left-hander Ricky Romero.
Rodriguez missed the previous six games due to a sprained left thumb. He received a cortisone shot earlier this week and felt good during batting practice yesterday, but told Ian Begley of ESPN New York that he will likely have to play with pain in the thumb “for the rest of the season.” With that in mind, he plans to use extra padding for his thumb to help compensate for the pain associated with swinging a bat.
Rodriguez, 36, is batting .289/.361/.478 with 14 home runs, 53 RBI and an .839 OPS over 363 plate appearances this season.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)