Sep 3, 2011, 12:10 PM EDT
While Mark Teixeira will miss his second straight game with a right knee contusion, Alex Rodriguez is back in the lineup this afternoon against the Blue Jays. He’ll play third base and bat third against left-hander Ricky Romero.
Rodriguez missed the previous six games due to a sprained left thumb. He received a cortisone shot earlier this week and felt good during batting practice yesterday, but told Ian Begley of ESPN New York that he will likely have to play with pain in the thumb “for the rest of the season.” With that in mind, he plans to use extra padding for his thumb to help compensate for the pain associated with swinging a bat.
Rodriguez, 36, is batting .289/.361/.478 with 14 home runs, 53 RBI and an .839 OPS over 363 plate appearances this season.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)