Sep 3, 2011, 5:00 PM EST
The Indians beat the Royals 5-4 last night to stay within 5 1/2 games of the first-place Tigers in the American League Central, but they lost another member of their starting lineup in the process.
Asdrubal Cabrera is out of tonight’s lineup against the Royals after leaving Friday’s game with a left knee contusion. The All-Star shortstop suffered the injury when he fouled a ball off his left knee in the top of the third inning. He stayed in the game at first, even slugging a two-run homer later in the at-bat, but was replaced by Jason Donald at shortstop to begin the bottom of the inning.
The good news is that X-rays came back negative on the knee and Cabrera is officially listed as day-to-day. He could be back in the starting lineup as soon as tomorrow, but missing him for even one night is a tough blow as the Indians attempt to keep their flickering playoff hopes alive.
Cabrera, 25, is batting .278/.337/.467 with 22 homers, 80 RBI, 16 stolen bases and an .804 OPS over 591 plate appearances this season.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 336
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (337)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)