Sep 3, 2011, 5:00 PM EDT
The Indians beat the Royals 5-4 last night to stay within 5 1/2 games of the first-place Tigers in the American League Central, but they lost another member of their starting lineup in the process.
Asdrubal Cabrera is out of tonight’s lineup against the Royals after leaving Friday’s game with a left knee contusion. The All-Star shortstop suffered the injury when he fouled a ball off his left knee in the top of the third inning. He stayed in the game at first, even slugging a two-run homer later in the at-bat, but was replaced by Jason Donald at shortstop to begin the bottom of the inning.
The good news is that X-rays came back negative on the knee and Cabrera is officially listed as day-to-day. He could be back in the starting lineup as soon as tomorrow, but missing him for even one night is a tough blow as the Indians attempt to keep their flickering playoff hopes alive.
Cabrera, 25, is batting .278/.337/.467 with 22 homers, 80 RBI, 16 stolen bases and an .804 OPS over 591 plate appearances this season.
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 7
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 16
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)