Sep 3, 2011, 5:00 PM EDT
The Indians beat the Royals 5-4 last night to stay within 5 1/2 games of the first-place Tigers in the American League Central, but they lost another member of their starting lineup in the process.
Asdrubal Cabrera is out of tonight’s lineup against the Royals after leaving Friday’s game with a left knee contusion. The All-Star shortstop suffered the injury when he fouled a ball off his left knee in the top of the third inning. He stayed in the game at first, even slugging a two-run homer later in the at-bat, but was replaced by Jason Donald at shortstop to begin the bottom of the inning.
The good news is that X-rays came back negative on the knee and Cabrera is officially listed as day-to-day. He could be back in the starting lineup as soon as tomorrow, but missing him for even one night is a tough blow as the Indians attempt to keep their flickering playoff hopes alive.
Cabrera, 25, is batting .278/.337/.467 with 22 homers, 80 RBI, 16 stolen bases and an .804 OPS over 591 plate appearances this season.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)