Sep 3, 2011, 1:10 PM EDT
We don’t know if the Nippon-Ham Fighters will post Yu Darvish this offseason, but many MLB teams are getting prepared for the possibility.
Rangers general manager Jon Daniels scouted Darvish earlier this summer and Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos told Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com that he went to see the 24-year-old right-hander in person earlier this week.
“I’m doing my homework,” Anthopoulos was asked about his team’s level of interest in Darvish. “If I go see guys for the Draft … it doesn’t mean that we draft those players, or we have them high on our list. But I go see them, I want to have as much information as we can on all players.
“But there’s no question, he’s the reason that I went. I can sit here and [joke], say I went there to experience the culture, or build relationships. But if he hadn’t pitched I wouldn’t have gone, at least not in 2011.”
With Anthopoulos in attendance Wednesday, Darvish allowed one run over eight innings while striking out nine and walking two. He is now 16-4 with a 1.54 ERA over 21 starts this season. This includes a 206/27 K/BB ratio over 175 innings. He has a 2.04 ERA over parts of seven seasons in the Nippon Professional Baseball League.
Darvish would have to go through a posting process this offseason, which will likely come at a steep price. The Athletics bid $19 million for exclusive negotiating rights with Hisashi Iwakuma last offseason, but were unable to come to terms on a deal. The fee for Darvish should easily exceed that figure.
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 0
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 29
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 49
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)