Sep 3, 2011, 1:10 PM EDT
We don’t know if the Nippon-Ham Fighters will post Yu Darvish this offseason, but many MLB teams are getting prepared for the possibility.
Rangers general manager Jon Daniels scouted Darvish earlier this summer and Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos told Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com that he went to see the 24-year-old right-hander in person earlier this week.
“I’m doing my homework,” Anthopoulos was asked about his team’s level of interest in Darvish. “If I go see guys for the Draft … it doesn’t mean that we draft those players, or we have them high on our list. But I go see them, I want to have as much information as we can on all players.
“But there’s no question, he’s the reason that I went. I can sit here and [joke], say I went there to experience the culture, or build relationships. But if he hadn’t pitched I wouldn’t have gone, at least not in 2011.”
With Anthopoulos in attendance Wednesday, Darvish allowed one run over eight innings while striking out nine and walking two. He is now 16-4 with a 1.54 ERA over 21 starts this season. This includes a 206/27 K/BB ratio over 175 innings. He has a 2.04 ERA over parts of seven seasons in the Nippon Professional Baseball League.
Darvish would have to go through a posting process this offseason, which will likely come at a steep price. The Athletics bid $19 million for exclusive negotiating rights with Hisashi Iwakuma last offseason, but were unable to come to terms on a deal. The fee for Darvish should easily exceed that figure.
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 96
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 66
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 51
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (97)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)