Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos scouted Yu Darvish in Japan this week

Sep 3, 2011, 1:10 PM EDT

darvish presser AP

We don’t know if the Nippon-Ham Fighters will post Yu Darvish this offseason, but many MLB teams are getting prepared for the possibility.

Rangers general manager Jon Daniels scouted Darvish earlier this summer and Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos told Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com that he went to see the 24-year-old right-hander in person earlier this week.

“I’m doing my homework,” Anthopoulos was asked about his team’s level of interest in Darvish. “If I go see guys for the Draft … it doesn’t mean that we draft those players, or we have them high on our list. But I go see them, I want to have as much information as we can on all players.

“But there’s no question, he’s the reason that I went. I can sit here and [joke], say I went there to experience the culture, or build relationships. But if he hadn’t pitched I wouldn’t have gone, at least not in 2011.”

With Anthopoulos in attendance Wednesday, Darvish allowed one run over eight innings while striking out nine and walking two. He is now 16-4 with a 1.54 ERA over 21 starts this season. This includes a 206/27 K/BB ratio over 175 innings. He has a 2.04 ERA over parts of seven seasons in the Nippon Professional Baseball League.

Darvish would have to go through a posting process this offseason, which will likely come at a steep price. The Athletics bid $19 million for exclusive negotiating rights with Hisashi Iwakuma last offseason, but were unable to come to terms on a deal. The fee for Darvish should easily exceed that figure.

1. dondada10 - Sep 3, 2011 at 1:27 PM

I’ve heard different arguments as to to what the Nippon Pro League translates to in terms of U.S. leagues (AA/AAA). But goodness, 206/27 K/BB over 175 innings! That’s Matt Moore territory.

2. tashkalucy - Sep 3, 2011 at 2:37 PM

Think this kid will be as good as Dice-K?

Should only cost $50-$100M to find out.

Desperate pennant contenders that don’t know pitching, line up here right behind Theo Epstein.

• pisano - Sep 3, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Good point, you’d think by now these GM’s would have learned that these guys don’t hold up in the major league’s. Like you said, line up behind Theo (the boy blunder) and piss away your $50 – $100m. One of the biggest bums was Kei Igawa, the Yankees pissed away $40m on that bum and he never got to the majors.

• uyf1950 - Sep 3, 2011 at 6:21 PM

pisano, my friend. Tell us how you really feel. BTW, good win by the Yankees today.

3. pisano - Sep 3, 2011 at 7:06 PM

uyf1950… my friend I haven’t seen your post lately. So did you think I made my point about these pitchers? There’s an old saying ,” once burned, twice shy” It seems these GM’s don’t seem to get it. How many times do they have to get burned to catch on? The Yankees should have learned with Irabu, who was supposed to have a 98 mph fastball, which was total bull, and then they sign Igawa who couldn’t even make it as a reliever. If it was me I’d let Boston and the rest of the teams cut each others throat to spend that money and laugh when they get burned. As you say : just my opinion.

• pisano - Sep 3, 2011 at 7:11 PM

uyf1950 … I got so wound up on this pitcher that I forgot about the game, yes it was a good win, but I did get a little nervous when Joe brought Robertson out to close. I was afraid he was in deep water as I don’t recall him going two innings, but it worked out.

• uyf1950 - Sep 3, 2011 at 8:40 PM

My friend I have been posting just not as much. Not a lot of topics worth posting about right now. The biggest problem as I see it with these Japanese pitchers is the “great unknown”. It wouldn’t be to bad if there wasn’t that ridiculous “posting fee”. I hope Cashman stays away from this but I can understand if they make an “attempt” because of the weak FA market in 2012. I think Cashman at this point might have just enough confidence in resigning CC, Nova, Hughes (I think he has shown much improvement and will be more improved next season) and perhaps resigning Garcia. Then there is the ever disappointing AJ Burnett. That can hold the Yankees over until the 2012 trade deadline when either Banuelos or one of the 2013 FA becomes available during the trade deadline.
      I also wouldn’t be the least bit surprised to see Cashman try and put together a package of players to get pitcher this winter. Maybe somebody like John Danks.
      We will just have to wait and see. But if my calculations are in the general area the Yankees could win 99 games this season. More then I believe any poster on this site believed was possible at the beginning of the season. That’s just my opinion.
      Take care my friend and have a happy and safe holiday.

4. proudlycanadian - Sep 3, 2011 at 8:40 PM

It is very unusual for AA to let people know that he is interested in someone. Either he is very interested or he is trying to get the Yankees or Red Sox to pay up for Darvish. I do wonder what game he is playing.

• dirtyharry1971 - Sep 4, 2011 at 3:58 PM

everyone knows AA has nothing in the checkbook so who is he kidding?

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3305)