Sep 3, 2011, 9:17 AM EST
The Red Sox had another sellout at Fenway Park for last night’s game against the Rangers, extending their MLB record to 700 consecutive regular season games dating back to May 13, 2003.
The previous MLB record for sellouts was 455, set by the Indians from 1995-2001. The Red Sox surpassed that mark on September 8, 2008.
Here’s part of a statement from Red Sox owner John Henry:
“Reaching 700 consecutive sell-outs is a lesson for us all to never underestimate what the passion of Red Sox Nation can achieve,” said John Henry, Principal Owner. “Our fans have demonstrated unwavering loyalty and support from the stands at Fenway Park every day of the regular season for more than eight years, and everyone in the organization is grateful for their steadfast dedication.”
The Dayton Dragons, a Single A affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds, hold the all-time record for consecutive sellouts in North American professional sports with 838. The streak is still active. The Phillies hold the second-longest current sellout streak in the majors with 191.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 82
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)