Sep 3, 2011, 9:17 AM EDT
The Red Sox had another sellout at Fenway Park for last night’s game against the Rangers, extending their MLB record to 700 consecutive regular season games dating back to May 13, 2003.
The previous MLB record for sellouts was 455, set by the Indians from 1995-2001. The Red Sox surpassed that mark on September 8, 2008.
Here’s part of a statement from Red Sox owner John Henry:
“Reaching 700 consecutive sell-outs is a lesson for us all to never underestimate what the passion of Red Sox Nation can achieve,” said John Henry, Principal Owner. “Our fans have demonstrated unwavering loyalty and support from the stands at Fenway Park every day of the regular season for more than eight years, and everyone in the organization is grateful for their steadfast dedication.”
The Dayton Dragons, a Single A affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds, hold the all-time record for consecutive sellouts in North American professional sports with 838. The streak is still active. The Phillies hold the second-longest current sellout streak in the majors with 191.
- Mike Trout hits for cycle in Angels’ rout of Mariners 5
- Kevin Gausman will make Orioles debut on Thursday 4
- Cubs activate Matt Garza for first start in 10 months 0
- Thanks to Jeff Loria, Miami gets shut out of the Super Bowl 21
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. 116
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (116)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (104)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car