Settling the Score: Friday’s results

Sep 3, 2011, 8:37 AM EDT

Arizona Diamondbacks v San Francisco Giants Getty Images

Don’t count the Giants out just yet.

Carlos Beltran went 4-for-4 with a two-run homer and Matt Cain allowed two runs over eight innings as the Giants beat the first-place Diamondbacks 6-2 last night. The win snapped the Diamondbacks season-high nine-game winning streak and brought the Giants back to within five games in the National League West.

Beltran finished the night a double short of the cycle. He tripled in the first inning, hit a go-ahead two home run in the third, plated an RBI single in the fifth and added another single in the seventh. It was his 20th career four-hit game and his first since June 20, 2007 as a member of the Mets.

The Giants will try to keep the pressure on when they send Tim Lincecum to the hill tonight to face Ian Kennedy, who is currently tied with Clayton Kershaw for the NL lead with 17 wins. Lincecum is just 5-4 in nine starts since the All-Star break, despite a 1.61 ERA and 61/29 K/BB ratio over 61 2/3 innings.

Your Friday box scores:

Indians 5, Royals 4

Reds 11, Cardinals 8

Twins 13, Angels 5

Rockies 3, Padres 0

Mariners 2, Athletics 9

1. yankeesfanlen - Sep 3, 2011 at 9:24 AM

The Universe is going to have an interesting September sorting out pitchers for the playoffs. We’ll have CC just because, and Nova has 11 wins in a row, so there’s that. There’s only a month left to evaluate AJ, he’s out, and it might be before that. Hughes, Colon, Garcia- the clock is ticking, the spotlights on.
    With only 3 runs scored, the offense isn’t ready, then again last night’s lineup was squirrelly to say the least, and defensively we’re ready if Beep-beep remembers that Swish isn’t 8 feet tall. Good thing that plays normally work in the opposite direction.
    26 to go, we’ll figure it out.

• proudlycanadian - Sep 3, 2011 at 9:36 AM

Hi Len. Gardiner won that game for the Yankees in the first inning. He made 2 great catches in left field that saved Nova and the Yankees at least 2 runs (probably more). I am not convinced that Nova is the real deal. Once there were runners on bace, he became very tentative and slowed things down. He was bailed out by his outfielders as all 3 of them caught balls that were close to the fence. On a positive note, the game lasted less than 3 hours.

• Kevin S. - Sep 3, 2011 at 10:49 AM

Actually, Nova’s pitched about the same with runners on base this year. His strikeout, walk, and groundball rates more or less stay the same. Every home run he has given up has been with the bases empty, although that’s almost certainly a fluke. Still, most pitchers lose something when they go to the stretch, and Nova doesn’t really appear to lose anything.

• yankeesfanlen - Sep 3, 2011 at 10:52 AM

Proudly, I agree that defense won the game, and Gardner hit as well! Nova is a bit tentative, but doing okay for a rookie. And for the Beavermen, Lawrie and of course Bautista are always a threat. Colon vs. Romero should make for a tight game today and I’d like to see ARod back.

• uyf1950 - Sep 3, 2011 at 10:04 AM

yankeesfanlen, good morning my friend. Good to see the young kid Nova doing so well 15 wins (11 in a row) just 4 loses and an ERA under 4. With at least 4 potentially 5 more starts. Dare we think that he could be the first rookie pitcher wo win 20 games since Tom Browning went 20-9 in 1985 for the Reds.

It’s probably very unlikely but who would have thought at the beginning of the season that Nova would have even 15 wins. His future looks bright.

The Blue Jays on tap again this afternoon. Let’s see if the Colon can duplicate his last outing with just a different result for the Yankees. I think most of us would take 7 plus innings of work just 2 ER’s and this time a Yankees win.

Take care, my friend.

• cur68 - Sep 3, 2011 at 11:11 AM

Boys I spent enough of the pre season saying sh!t about the Yankees. Pointless for me to criticize them now. Yes Len & PC, you guys point out the legitimate problems with the lineup, Jeter’s defense and Nova, but, end of the 3 hour (!) game, they were ahead and the Beaver Men lost.

Morrow was better than he had been; steady and worked out of jams. He was eaten up by the Yankee hitter’s patience and patented “foul ‘em off or take it till you get one you like” approach. How do you teach that “hit a foul ball” thing anyways? His pitch count was up to 116 when he left in the 6th. I didn’t know as he had that much in him.

This game was the Garder/Granderson show with some Martin prop-comic light relief thrown (literally) in. The Beaver Wrestlers need to work that right porch over more. I could see Bautista staying back on pitches and more off the plate than usual, trying to go opposite field. The lefty hitters need to work that way too: Thames & LInd need to shorten their swings, open more to the pitcher and close up on the plate. The Jays are not going to get many to fall in front of Grandy and Gardner: gotta hit ‘em where they aint.

• yankeesfanlen - Sep 3, 2011 at 11:35 AM

You’re right cur, however I was more impressed with the Beavermen lineup last night than ours, and Gardner was having a crisp time all around, which isn’t always the case.
        The game was played exceedingly fast, evern with having to play two National Athems

Separately and in follow up to earlier posts, you and others who might be interested in an HBT convention are encouraged to give input. Write to me at mail that is not cold.

• deathmonkey41 - Sep 3, 2011 at 11:54 AM

I would love to see Tex taken out of the 3 spot and dropped to about 5 or 6. Put Grandy or Cano there. Besides for the HRs- he’s really had a terrible year at the plate and dropping him 2 or 3 spots still gives him a shot at knocking in RBIs.

• cur68 - Sep 3, 2011 at 12:08 PM

Len: see html.

death: agree. Tex should be #4 hitter. Grandy @ 3, Cano 2 and Gardner 1. Platoon Jeets with Nunez or DH him. Arod can suck it up and play in the 6 spot with Nunez/Jeets ahead of him. They should try it now, before it gets to be a playoff game and they get into desperation mode try and come back in a series. They are relying on too much luck with pitchers not named Cap’n Crunch.

2. halladaysbiceps - Sep 3, 2011 at 10:17 AM

Well, the Phillies are 88-46, 42 games over .500. Most games over .500 in the history of the franchise. Unbelievable.

Mayberry Jr. continues to show his worth. Oswalt improving with his starts since coming off the DL. All is great with this team. Hard to find any holes at this time.

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 3, 2011 at 11:22 AM

Agreed Biceps. Not sure if Oswalt is improving though. Fastball velocity still down. Jury is out on him. Hey, what do you think about the possible addition of Rowand?

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 3, 2011 at 11:31 AM

With Oswalt, I believe he is improving. From the 4th inning on, his pitches were in the 93 mph range. I think it’s just a matter of time (maybe his next start) where you see him put it all together for a great start. Just how I view it, I guess.

As far as Rowand, I loved him when he played here. He’s my type of player. I’m indifferent to whether they bring him back or not. He won’t be eligible for the post-season roster, anyways. He would only be used as a pinch hitter for the remainder of the month. Not sure he’s much of an upgrade on what they have on the bench right now. So, I’m fine either way. He can just sit on the bench and be a good clubhouse guy, I guess.

• Old Gator - Sep 3, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Oswalt was at about sixty percent of his usual mastery, based on what I can recall from watching him in prior seasons with the Lastros. He was definitely much looser than in last week’s de facto one game series against the Feesh, but I suspect that if he had been peetching against any first division team last night he would have had his ass handed to him. Of course, he had the Feesh to peetch to instead, and he had the pleasure of watching his opposing moundsman, Glad Hand, throw at the ground, at the camera, at the umpire, at the bull mascot, at the target above the imaginary clown sitting over the water tub that Hand believed was honking insults at him (“You couldn’t hit water if you fell out of a fucking boat!”), and just about everywhere else except the strike zone. That helped avoid a lot of wear and tear on Oswalt’s back. He could relax and chew his feesh bones at his leisure.

Feeshbones are great for chewing on, as long as you don’t get them caught in your throat.
        On Friday evenings we had feesh at our house. Every Friday. Not on religious grounds,
        but because Grandpa was a feesh enthusiast.” It kips you from goink blind,” he would say. Even though the bones always got caught in his throat.My brother and Iwould sit next to one another waiting for his terrible coughing to begin.Then one of us would be dispatched to the kitchen to get a heel of bread…to clear the bones. He’d gulp it down, and slowly his coughing would diminish.

That’s why I never eat feesh….unless it’s been properly filleted.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 3, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Old Gator,

I disagree with you on how Oswalt pitched. In the first 3 innings, he was finding his way. However, from that point on, he was pretty much locked down with his pitches. He looked really good. The feesh are still a MLB club, last time I checked. He bared down when he needed to and got the win. Pretty decent perfomance. The Phillies have no worries, right now. None.

• gogigantos - Sep 3, 2011 at 12:15 PM

properly steaked or filleted makes up for all the ones that got away

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 3, 2011 at 12:16 PM

Gator,
        Is Morrison always that terrible in left? It looks like he lumbers out there.

• yankeesfanlen - Sep 3, 2011 at 12:16 PM

OG- Nor do you eat children…..unless they’re properly cooked.

• Old Gator - Sep 3, 2011 at 8:58 PM

Hal: though his velocity may have come up after the third inning, he only took out the side in order in the fourth – the bottom of the Feesh order – and fifth, where he got two outs on very sharply hit balls, and giving up the dinger to Lopez in the sixth and two more very sharply hit balls to open the seventh, whereupon he was removed. Oswalt at 60% is nothing to sneeze at but I’ve seen him much better than that. The Feesh may indeed be an MLB team, bit they’re a pretty terrible one right now. If MLB adopted the British premiership system, they’d be a Triple-A team next season and would have to play their way back to the show.

Frankly, I think that shifting to the English system would be a great thing (as I would be well advised to think about all things British, having a British wife). A lot of guys would have some real motivation not to mail it in for the last month or two once their team fell out of contention if they knew they were going to find themselves making minor league money next year.

• Old Gator - Sep 3, 2011 at 9:04 PM

monkey: yeah, he’s pretty bad out there – and on a damp field, to boot. But his real deficit is his prolonged slump, which his short Tweeter spanking at New Orleans didn’t do much to cure. As usual, the Chihuahuan philosophy of threaten and punish looks like it’s demoralized the kid a bit, which, as you can also see, has been just a great thing for his onfield performance.

Incidentally, though I will elaborate upon this tomorrow morning in the Saturday STS for all two or three Feesh fans who still give a crap about anything this team does this year, the Curmudgeonly Undead was especially curmudgeonly during the rain-delay pregame show this evening, grumbling that “some of these guys” better start “selling” themselves this month so that other teams might want to trade for them this weenter.

Ouch.

• FC - Sep 3, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Mayberry Jr. continues to show his worth

You know I initially read this as: Mayberry Jr. continues to show his Werth. :D

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 3, 2011 at 12:01 PM

Yeah, I thought that after I typed it. What a difference a year makes for a guy that signed a 126 million dollar contract. Thank God they signed Lee instead of Werth.

I will say this, though. I think Werth will be better in 2012. I think this year counting all of his money was a distraction. Maybe he will concentrate on playing the game of baseball again.

• gogigantos - Sep 3, 2011 at 12:17 PM

I do love that the little t is loyal to even the ex Phil,, man has got some passion for sure, much more than the Werth fella

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 3, 2011 at 12:18 PM

“Little t” tells you to get a life and stop trolling for reactions. Talk about the Giants.

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 3, 2011 at 12:26 PM

This might be a stupid question, but what or who is the “little t”?

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 3, 2011 at 12:30 PM

Good Doctor,

They refer to my bicep”t”s handle, that I misspelled when I first logged on to hardballtalk. Jeez, they still find that amusing after all this time. Probably doesn’t take much to please these commenters.

3. deathmonkey41 - Sep 3, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Even when guys throw no-hitters, there’s usually two or three exceptional plays in the field to help them out. You have to remember, this is officially Nova’s rookie season and he’s 15-4 with an ERA under 4.00 in the AL East. That’s pretty promising for the future.

• FC - Sep 3, 2011 at 11:58 AM

It’s his K/9 rate that I feel may get him in trouble into the future. The more outs you can get at the plate, the less outs are required to be obtained on the field, less chances for errors or hits with balls put into play. Of course some pitchers specialize in provoking GB (I believe Kyle Kendrick is considered a GB pitcher) so those types of pitchers depend on having good defense to get their outs.

• Kevin S. - Sep 3, 2011 at 8:20 PM

Ivan Nova is 11th among 97 qualified startes in GB% this year, and yeah, that’s pretty much the only way to survive with his K and BB rates. For the record, Kendrick isn’t really that great at getting ground balls. Doc and Hamels are the real worm-burners on that staff (among their many other talents, obviously).

4. gogigantos - Sep 3, 2011 at 12:13 PM

still a month to play, and a month more after
    just curious all you Phightins
    who you all fear more in the NL??
    grinding and strong Bravos or a possibly surging Giagantos???

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 3, 2011 at 12:17 PM

Why do you care? You trolled in the “Phillies future is murky at best thread” and now here. Why not talk about the Giants win last night as supposed to caring about what the Phillies fans think?

• gogigantos - Sep 3, 2011 at 12:29 PM

honest, debatable question
        who fear most?

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 3, 2011 at 12:35 PM

gogigantos,

Honest answer to the question as the Phillies sit at 42 games over .500 with a record of 88-46: No one. We are clearly the best team in all of baseball and we fear nothing. But, it won’t matter to you anyway, because the San Francisco Giants will not make the playoffs this year due to their anemic offense.

Come October, if you are still watching baseball at that point, it won’t involve the Giants. You can root for the Arizona, if you like.

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 3, 2011 at 12:36 PM

I think surging Giants is a bit much at this point, don’t you? I don’t think the Phillies should fear any team. If they play to their potential, they will come out of the NL…hands down.

5. gogigantos - Sep 3, 2011 at 12:38 PM

pretty sure you all were fearing nothing last October, coming off a no hitter in the nlds and all,,, sure you have no pucker going on at all???
    honest with yourself before you get cranky with all the world bubba

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 3, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Cranky? Here you go, bubba. 88-46. LIke I said before, you make no comments on your team winning yesterday, nor losing on any other given thread. You are here to bash the Phillies, just like you bashed me in the Royals fan’s blog that Calcaterra did the other day about the future of the Phillies. You are a joke, reading your comments.

• gogigantos - Sep 3, 2011 at 12:54 PM

I believe my faith in the resurgent Giagantos is implied,,
        a joke many things are in the world around us, have been, for the short time since your loud loud debut, amused by you and your antics, and temper too, but I hope I have never directly insulted your views or intelligence, lack of or stellar light,,,,
        still, a simple debatable question Mr t
        who fear most in the post season?
        or
        who will you be most crushed by when the Phightins don’t march down the ticker tape road, all forbid such a thing never come to pass????

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 3, 2011 at 1:01 PM

No, I won’t be crushed if the Phillies lose in the post season. Like last year, I was bummed for a night but was over it the next day. It’s not my life. My happiness level does not revolve around the relative success of the various sporting teams I follow (Phillies, Eagles, Arsenal).

• gogigantos - Sep 3, 2011 at 1:11 PM

can tell a joke
        most days, can take a joke
        rarely have I been referred to as a joke
        not too many have been referred to as a joke more often than you Mr t
        just sayin

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 3, 2011 at 1:12 PM

“comments history and reading go way far back, as you noted my comments about your trashing of Rany, been reading and noting a long long long time,,,”

Sounds like a personal problem to me. Seek help. I’m not that important. I’m just a commenter, like you.

As far as fear of a team, I just told you with my precious comments in this post. There is no team I fear. None. The Phillies are not only the class of the NL, but all of baseball.

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 3, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Nah, Phillies are better this year. If they play poorly they can lose to anybody….but like I said, if the Phillies play like they are capable they will come out of the NL.

• gogigantos - Sep 3, 2011 at 1:04 PM

still,, you are saying you have none fear
        none at all???
        stay strong and believe
        just be careful, it is a long way to fall
        have fallen so often,,,,,, have lost all fear of falling,, good for you all

• cur68 - Sep 3, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Conventional wisdom, boys, is that pitching wins in the post season, as we all know. Following the convention, there is no better pitching team than the Phillies. Thus the team to fear most is the 2nd best pitching team in the NL. And that would be….?

• gogigantos - Sep 3, 2011 at 1:08 PM

same was said last year,,,,
        and
        welllllll,,,,,,
        still not an answer to a simple question
        blind faith leads to a deep dark fall,,,, been there
        and glad that you all recovered from the dark of the last NLCS
        to be blind to the darkness again,,,,
        still, so,,, no fear,,,,,,
        really? nothing dark and scary under the bed tonight????

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 3, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Long way to fall??? Maybe for them, not for me. Once again, I won’t be crushed if the Phillies lose in the post season. Like last year, I was bummed for a night but was over it the next day. It’s not my life. My happiness level does not revolve around the relative success of the various sporting teams I follow (Phillies, Eagles, Arsenal).

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 3, 2011 at 1:11 PM

And please stop writing in crap poetic form. It is difficult to have a conversation that way. Real difficult…And to answer Cur, then second best pitching staff in the NL is the Braves.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 3, 2011 at 1:15 PM

Good Doctor,

This gogigantos guy is impossible to have a conversation with. He is a troll. He doesn’t have San Fran fans to discuss the state of their team here at HBT because they don’t exist, so he is here to make life difficult.

• gogigantos - Sep 3, 2011 at 1:16 PM

good night from
        the far side of the Pacific

• gogigantos - Sep 3, 2011 at 1:21 PM

asked a question,
        was insulted a bit and tossed around for fun,
        you all denied that you were thinking and told me to take a hike,,, so
        good night, sweet dreams and delusions to us all
        I hope all the repressed dark meanies stay under our beds for another season, or three, may good baseball rule to the end, and my we be sure they play them all, come what may,,, to the end, and the next beginning

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 3, 2011 at 1:21 PM

I would like to have a conversation with the guy. It’s just hard when the responses are in poetic form. I mean, if that is his thing that is cool and all it just makes it difficult.

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 3, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Hey man, I’m not telling you to get lost. I would like to have a decent conversation here. Nothing is going on at work and I need something to occupy my time. It’s just a bit difficult. I applaud your creativity…it is an undervalued trait.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 3, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Doctor,

Do not respond to him anymore. I won’t. He’s trolling, like he did to inflame me in the Phillies future murky at best thread.

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 3, 2011 at 1:27 PM

Really, what did he say? I didn’t read that thread or any comments to it. By the time I saw it, there was like 270 comments and there was no way I was reading through all of them.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 3, 2011 at 1:34 PM

Doctor,

Not getting into what he said, other than he was all upset that I trashed this Rany guy that wrote the article about the declining Phillies in the future. He used that forum to vent his envy of the Phillies. He saw all the Rany lovers jumping all over me and took his opportunity to do so as well. It was stupid. Bottom line is the guy doesn’t talk Giants baseball and comes onto this site to make me and some other Phillies fans look bad. He never talks about the Giants and his team as a whole. He’s another waste of space as a commenter.

Look at what he did this morning. We were talking about the Phillies and debating and he interjected his crap. What does that tell you?

6. goawaydog - Sep 3, 2011 at 3:38 PM

Great game by the Giants last night for sure and the pitching matchnup tonight is one to look forward to. Beltran? We saw the sweet swing last night but still don’t know how he will fair from the left side of the plate. He stays hot, then bet others like Cody Ross catch on too. Carl Stewert at the Merxury News called this the ” broom or shovel” series. Sweep the snakes, stay in the hunt anything less and they pretty much bury the giants in the division. Go Giants, Go Timmy the Freak!

All the trade deadline news to know