Sep 3, 2011, 8:37 AM EST
Don’t count the Giants out just yet.
Carlos Beltran went 4-for-4 with a two-run homer and Matt Cain allowed two runs over eight innings as the Giants beat the first-place Diamondbacks 6-2 last night. The win snapped the Diamondbacks season-high nine-game winning streak and brought the Giants back to within five games in the National League West.
Beltran finished the night a double short of the cycle. He tripled in the first inning, hit a go-ahead two home run in the third, plated an RBI single in the fifth and added another single in the seventh. It was his 20th career four-hit game and his first since June 20, 2007 as a member of the Mets.
The Giants will try to keep the pressure on when they send Tim Lincecum to the hill tonight to face Ian Kennedy, who is currently tied with Clayton Kershaw for the NL lead with 17 wins. Lincecum is just 5-4 in nine starts since the All-Star break, despite a 1.61 ERA and 61/29 K/BB ratio over 61 2/3 innings.
Your Friday box scores:
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)