Sep 3, 2011, 8:37 AM EST
Don’t count the Giants out just yet.
Carlos Beltran went 4-for-4 with a two-run homer and Matt Cain allowed two runs over eight innings as the Giants beat the first-place Diamondbacks 6-2 last night. The win snapped the Diamondbacks season-high nine-game winning streak and brought the Giants back to within five games in the National League West.
Beltran finished the night a double short of the cycle. He tripled in the first inning, hit a go-ahead two home run in the third, plated an RBI single in the fifth and added another single in the seventh. It was his 20th career four-hit game and his first since June 20, 2007 as a member of the Mets.
The Giants will try to keep the pressure on when they send Tim Lincecum to the hill tonight to face Ian Kennedy, who is currently tied with Clayton Kershaw for the NL lead with 17 wins. Lincecum is just 5-4 in nine starts since the All-Star break, despite a 1.61 ERA and 61/29 K/BB ratio over 61 2/3 innings.
Your Friday box scores:
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)