Sep 3, 2011, 11:46 AM EDT
Aroldis Chapman has pitched exclusively in relief this season, but Reds pitching coach Bryan Price told John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer that he still sees him as a starting pitcher in the long-term.
“I can’t guarantee anything because it will be an organizational decision,” Price said. “However, I do think at some point he’s going to have a chance to start. I think it’s something we will definitely be looking at.”
Chapman has a 3.89 ERA and 62/34 K/BB ratio over 41 2/3 innings this season. This includes a 2.36 ERA and 47/12 K/BB ratio over 27 1/3 innings since returning from shoulder fatigue in late-June.
There’s little doubt that Chapman has a chance to be much more valuable as a starting pitcher in the long-term, but the Reds could have a void at closer depending on what they decide to do with Francisco Cordero. He is in the final guaranteed year of a four-year, $46 million contract, which includes a $12 million option for 2012 or a $1 million buyout. Nick Masset once looked like the heir apparent for the ninth inning, but has a disappointing 4.04 ERA and 56/28 K/BB ratio over 62 1/3 innings this season.
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 26
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 7
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 7
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 32
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)