Sep 3, 2011, 9:48 AM EDT
All is not well in White Sox land.
Amid a report last week that the relationship between Kenny Williams and Ozzie Guillen is “beyond repair,” Daryl Van Schouwen of the Chicago Sun-Times reports that the White Sox GM recently had a “heated exchange” with hitting coach Greg Walker.
Williams told reporters last month that he preferred the swing second baseman Gordon Beckham had when he was first drafted out of the University of Georgia in the first round of the 2008 draft as opposed to the one he has now. Walker took it personally. The two exchanged in the tunnel at U.S. Cellular Field, which led Williams to tell Walker to clean out his locker. The situation was resolved by White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf.
“I’d rather not comment on it,’’ Walker told the Sun-Times on Friday. “What goes on in our clubhouse stays in our clubhouse. It’s been a very frustrating year for a lot of people.’’
It’s tough to blame the hitting coach for the failures of Beckham, Adam Dunn and Alex Rios, but the White Sox enter play Saturday ranked 11th in the league in OPS and 12th in runs scored. None of the White Sox coaches are signed beyond this season and Van Schouwen reports that most of them are confident they will not return.
The White Sox lost 8-1 to the Tigers last night and now 6 1/2 games back in the American League Central.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 0
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 0
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 127
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 37
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 97
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (130)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)