Sep 3, 2011, 9:48 AM EDT
All is not well in White Sox land.
Amid a report last week that the relationship between Kenny Williams and Ozzie Guillen is “beyond repair,” Daryl Van Schouwen of the Chicago Sun-Times reports that the White Sox GM recently had a “heated exchange” with hitting coach Greg Walker.
Williams told reporters last month that he preferred the swing second baseman Gordon Beckham had when he was first drafted out of the University of Georgia in the first round of the 2008 draft as opposed to the one he has now. Walker took it personally. The two exchanged in the tunnel at U.S. Cellular Field, which led Williams to tell Walker to clean out his locker. The situation was resolved by White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf.
“I’d rather not comment on it,’’ Walker told the Sun-Times on Friday. “What goes on in our clubhouse stays in our clubhouse. It’s been a very frustrating year for a lot of people.’’
It’s tough to blame the hitting coach for the failures of Beckham, Adam Dunn and Alex Rios, but the White Sox enter play Saturday ranked 11th in the league in OPS and 12th in runs scored. None of the White Sox coaches are signed beyond this season and Van Schouwen reports that most of them are confident they will not return.
The White Sox lost 8-1 to the Tigers last night and now 6 1/2 games back in the American League Central.
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 37
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 69
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 24
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 120
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 31
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 108
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 83
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (282)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (120)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)