Sep 4, 2011, 6:24 PM EDT
Tigers outfielder Brennan Boesch was hoping to put off thumb surgery until after the season, but the pain from his torn ligament has prevented him from swinging a bat and he made the decision Sunday to have the procedure now.
Boesch was one of the AL’s better corner outfielders during the first half of the season, hitting .306/.360/.490 with 12 homers, 57 runs scored and 44 RBI in 84 games before the All-Star break. Unfortunately, a thumb injury he sustained earlier in the season got a whole lot worse when he aggravated it on Aug. 10. He played scarcely afterwards and failed to drive in a run in any of his remaining eight appearances.
With Boesch done, the Tigers will hope that Magglio Ordonez or Andy Dirks can step up and claim the right-field job headed into the postseason. Ordonez had a big game Thursday, homering and doubling twice against the Royals. Still, he’s hitting just .239/.288/.321 in 293 at-bats. Dirks, a rookie, is batting .253/.296/.404 in 178 at-bats. The Tigers can also give Ryan Raburn time there if they wish. He’s hitting .239/.277/.402. Dirks, being the lefty swinger and the superior defender, would be the preferable choice to step into Boesch’s shoes.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 340
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 79
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 52
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (341)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)