Mark Teixeira returns to lineup after two-game absence

Sep 4, 2011, 11:21 AM EST

teixeira getty Getty Images

Mark Teixeira‘s knee is feeling improved.

According to Erik Boland of Newsday, the first baseman is back in the Yankees’ starting lineup on Sunday afternoon against the Blue Jays.

Teixeira is batting third, behind Derek Jeter and in front of Alex Rodriguez, as the Bronx Bombers try for a three-game series sweep of Toronto.

Teixeira did not play Friday or Saturday after taking a pitch to the right knee in Thursday’s 4-2 defeat of the Red Sox. He suffered mild contusion, and spent the first half of the weekend nursing it with ice and rest.

Teixeira, 31, is batting .248/.345/.503 with 35 home runs and 100 RBI in 134 games this season.

1. yankeesfanlen - Sep 4, 2011 at 11:26 AM

YAY!
    Now maybe Beep-beep can throw to first without thinking the reciepient is Wilt Chamberlain.
    It should be noted as well that there are now 3 Yankees at or above 100 RBIs, and another within range.

• Old Gator - Sep 4, 2011 at 1:56 PM

But best of all, an MRI of Teix…Texi…Tiej…uh, Mark’s knee revealed no structural damage!

• proudlycanadian - Sep 4, 2011 at 4:10 PM

That was quite an interesting throw to Swisher in the first game of the series. Still, the runner would have been tagged out if he did not have the presence of mind to slide.

2. deathmonkey41 - Sep 4, 2011 at 11:58 AM

I really don’t understand why Cano or Granderson aren’t batting 3rd. Tex is not a #3 hitter. He has little patience at the plate and is not a good contact hitter. If you drop him to 5th or 6th, he can still knock in RBIs.

3. dirtyharry1971 - Sep 4, 2011 at 3:53 PM

what happened to this guy’s average? Thats what i want to know

• deathmonkey41 - Sep 4, 2011 at 4:05 PM

He just seems to swing for the fences every time he’s up there. When he swings and misses- he misses big league.

• proudlycanadian - Sep 4, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Regression to the mean Harry. He is just an average hitter with power. Do you remember Dave Kingman?

• ditto65 - Sep 4, 2011 at 8:18 PM

I was confused. I thought you were calling DirtyHarry mean Harry.

• deathmonkey41 - Sep 4, 2011 at 8:35 PM

He’s a career .282 hitter, Proud. I know he’s never going to challenge Ted Williams on the .400 thing, but he’s a more disciplined hitter than what he’s shown this year.

• proudlycanadian - Sep 4, 2011 at 9:48 PM

I did not mean to call DirtyHarry mean Harry this time. As far as Harry’s complaint about the current batting average for Tex, I was just trying to point out, that while he is an elite slugger, he is not an elite hitter. I would be surprised if his average was much above .250 during the rest of his contract.

• flavadave10 - Sep 4, 2011 at 7:32 PM

He hasn’t been the same since he raced in the Kentucky Derby.

4. cur68 - Sep 4, 2011 at 7:35 PM

What kills me with The Universe is how they can keep doing stuff like this and winning. They’ve the got the likes of ARod and Tex batting behind the likes of Granderson and they’ve got one of their most productive bats down the order, away from their biggest on base threat in Gardner. That lineup should really be Gardner, Jeter (as DH), Grandy, Cano, Tex then whoever else you like the rest of the way. And yet they continue to field a decrepit SS and use the DH spot for a couple of guys who should be retired rather than on the premiere franchise in baseball. HOW do they keep winning?

Actually, watching them essentially cruise past the Beaver Men in 3 games, I have no idea why they should do anything different than what they’re currently doing. Its certainly working. I wonder if the moment they revert to conventional, Tony La Russa style ballgame management if they start to become average?

The only consolation for me today was watching that bomb Bautista hit. Glad that happens based on some sort of expectation of logic working like its supposed to. Now if you’ll all excuse me I have to go feed the moose. He’s gotten restive with all this loosing to the Yankees and needs a big shot of bourbon settle him in his swamp for the evening.

• proudlycanadian - Sep 4, 2011 at 9:53 PM

Bautista leads the league in Home Runs, Walks, OBP, Slugging and OPS. He does not lead the league in RBI’s because when there are runners on base, teams pitch around him. He has also missed several games due to minor injuries and consequently has fewer at bats than the other category leaders.

• cur68 - Sep 4, 2011 at 9:59 PM

One of the few correct predictions that I made at the start of the season was saying Bautista was going to be the bomb this season, just like last. I’d commented that he wouldn’t hit as many homers simply because teams would pitch around him, but I had him for 40+. What I didn’t expect was the BA, OBP, Slugging and OPS. It seems like every once in great while I get to be right about something. I’m real glad this is the time I get to be right. He’s the MVP.

5. deathmonkey41 - Sep 4, 2011 at 7:49 PM

I think CC had a big ole’ bowl of Crunchberries this morning.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5146)