Settling the Score: Saturday’s results

Sep 4, 2011, 8:34 AM EDT

miguel cabrera walkoff Getty Images

It’s September 4. On this date in baseball history, Yankees pitcher Jim Abbott threw a no-hitter against the Indians (1993), Robin Ventura became the eighth player to hit two grand slams in one game (1995), and the Red Sox officially retired the number 27 in honor of Hall of Fame catcher Carlton Fisk (2000).

Your Saturday box scores:

Blue Jays 4, Yankees 6

Pirates 7, Cubs 5

Reds 4, Cardinals 6

Mariners 0, Athletics 3

Brewers 8, Astros 2

Rangers 7, Red Sox 12

White Sox 8, Tigers 9

Mets 7, Nationals 8

Dodgers 2, Braves 1 (10 innings)

Orioles 3, Rays 6

Indians 1, Royals 5

Phillies 4, Marlins 8

Twins 6, Angels 10

Rockies 5, Padres 4

Diamondbacks 7, Giants 2

1. littledill - Sep 4, 2011 at 8:42 AM

Seriously, Carlton Fisk getting his number retired is noteworthy on this date in baseball history?

• Drew Silva - Sep 4, 2011 at 8:44 AM

Sept. 4 has been kind of a slow day.

• uyf1950 - Sep 4, 2011 at 9:03 AM

Drew this is off topic but I was hoping you could help me out with a question about the Yankees remaining schedule.

I’m very confused. According to the Yankees win/loss (84-53) record the Yankees as of Sunday morning Sept. 4th should have 25 games left to play. But no matter where I go to check there remaining schedule for September be it the Yankees site, NBC Sports, MLB, ESPN, Yahoo, etc. they only show 24 games remaining. WHAT’S MISSING?

Like I said I know this is off topic. But I can’t figure out where the 1 missing game is.

• Drew Silva - Sep 4, 2011 at 9:14 AM

I hope someone finds a more accurate answer, but my guess is they still haven’t scheduled a makeup game from a previous rainout. And sometimes they never do schedule ‘em if they’re not needed.

I remember the Cardinals playing only 161 regular-season games when they won the World Series back in ’06. I think they had a game against the Giants to make up, but just sort of let it go.

• yankeesfanlen - Sep 4, 2011 at 9:23 AM

Good morning uyf – I remember hearing that the 15th may be a make-up game in Baltimore. Someone was complaining that they have to fly from Seattle to Baltimore and then onto Toronto. Remember, the double header that was washed out on Sat or Irene- this might be the other game (besides the contested Sept 8th.
        Why this is not on a schedule is beyond me, and I don’t know for certain that the above is true.

• proudlycanadian - Sep 4, 2011 at 9:26 AM

I think that you are right Len. I believe that the Jays broadcast team mentioned it last night.

• uyf1950 - Sep 4, 2011 at 9:30 AM

yankeesfanlen and proudlycanadian – the rained out O’s game was rescheduled for Sept. 8th. The 15th of Sept. is basically a travel day.

I appreciate your replies, but that’s not it.

• uyf1950 - Sep 4, 2011 at 10:30 AM

Gentlemen, thank you. But the mystery of the missing game in the Yankee schedule has been solved. MLB (Yankees/Rays) have not yet rescheduled one of their two previously postponed games. When it is rescheduled the 162 game Yankee schedule will be complete.

Again, thank you.

• yankeesfanlen - Sep 4, 2011 at 10:36 AM

uyf- Good detective work, I was thinking the “missing game” might be AJ’s next start.

• uyf1950 - Sep 4, 2011 at 10:45 AM

yankeesfanlen, while I would like to take credit for solving the mystery I can not. Another poster on another site was kind enough to answer the question for me. BTW, I did thank him for solving the mystery.

• yankeesfanlen - Sep 4, 2011 at 10:51 AM

Gracious as always, uyf. Proves once again that only the classiest of Universe fans inhabit Hardball Talk.

• uyf1950 - Sep 4, 2011 at 11:00 AM

Couldn’t agree with you more about the last part of your comment. Have a good day, my friend.

2. proudlycanadian - Sep 4, 2011 at 8:58 AM

Yesterday George Kottaras hit for the cycle. He is one of 2 major league catchers who was born in Toronto. Another Torontonian plays first base for the Reds.

• proudlycanadian - Sep 4, 2011 at 9:01 AM

While I am here I just want to give a thumbs down on those Yankee fans (?) who were chanting USA USA during yerterday’s game. Don’t they realize that their catcher is a Canadian?

• Old Gator - Sep 4, 2011 at 10:09 AM

No, they don’t. Borg fans aren’t given to irony much. Give one two Molsons and he forgets that he’s not drinking Budweiser.

• raysfan1 - Sep 4, 2011 at 10:17 AM

“Don’t they realize that their (back-up) catcher is a Canadian?” Probably not. Why would they, really? Kudos to him though on being the only guy to hit for the cycle in MLB this year.

• yankeesfanlen - Sep 4, 2011 at 10:38 AM

Jeez, is there high unemployment up there too, that a catcher has to come to NY to get work?

• deathmonkey41 - Sep 4, 2011 at 12:06 PM

He might be Canadian- but now he has become assimilated. Long live the Borg.

3. yankeesfanlen - Sep 4, 2011 at 9:32 AM

There’s an article in today’s Bergen Record that kind of smells of sportswriter’s hyperbole, to the effect that Cano was slightly miffed at having ARod pitched around to get to him. Then a right-hander was brought in to pitch to Robbie and he hit the game-winning two run double. If so, nice retaliation, Robbie.
    Yanks are 36-9 in day games! Coming up on a week with four to play. Guess at our average age it’s getting harder to see in the dark.
    CC on the hill today, Tex probable, let’s see what Magical Mystery Lineup Joe comes up with.

• proudlycanadian - Sep 4, 2011 at 9:50 AM

The Yankees are getting healthy and the Jays are not. We lost our short stop yesterday and our left fielder had to leave the game due to illness. Our manager is also MIA due to pneumonia. Obviously, the Jays will win today.

• Old Gator - Sep 4, 2011 at 10:51 AM

I’ll be in Toronto on Thursday – big CD release party at the Dakota – and I’ll bring along my magnifying glass, pipe, trenchcoat and stupid checkered hat. I’ll get to the bottom of this mysterious rash of injuries and illnesses that has beset the feather lice just in time for a team with billions of dollars to pay for sabotage and biological warfare to bring them to town and profit by it.

4. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 4, 2011 at 10:00 AM

David Herndon sucks. I don’t care about 13 inning scoreless streaks and not being used for 8 days. A blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while. I’m just glad he didn’t sucker them into letting him pitch a high-pressure situation in the playoffs and he only lost a meaningless game in Miami in early September. Two walks from The Bastid so he clearly was gassed for overuse and Madson was used 3 days in a row so he was off-limits too. Thank God the Phillies won’t need much more than Bastid, Stutes, and Madson come playoff time because if they had any weak link in the starting pitching, they would be in trouble in a short series.

• bleedgreen - Sep 4, 2011 at 10:05 AM

Agree. Herndon is just awful. I’d rather use Schwimmer in a situation like that. We’re not sure how he does in the bigs. We KNOW Herndon will have 3 or 4 good appearances and then meltdown. Its happened 2 or 3 other times this year already. Schwimmer has looked decent. Give the guy some work.

• Francisco (FC) - Sep 4, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Not that often, in 37 games he’s had 5 meltdowns (Depends on your definition of meltdown but I follow the fangraphs one), that’s 1 meltdown per 5 or 6 outings on average.

Stutes is 8 meltdowns in 48 games. Or 1 bad outing every 6. It’s just that his bad ones have been coming in more recently.

Still though. To be clear Herndon is not a shutdown guy. Bringing him to deal with a hot potato is NOT his forte. The results were predictable.

• Francisco (FC) - Sep 4, 2011 at 10:28 AM

I disagree, the last time he was charged 3 runs was June 30th, otherwise he’s actually been better than Stutes lately. Herndon did not allow an ER in the whole of August. While Stutes, since mid-July has been going 1 or 2 scoreless outings and then bam 1, 2 or 3 runs. Basically I don’t blast a pitcher for one bad outing when he’s had a very good streak lately. OTOH I have no idea what they were thinking putting him in that kind of situation 2 men on, nobody out in the 8th inning of a close game. He’s the kind of relief pitcher you put to start innings in relief not the kind you bring in to put out fires.

5. Old Gator - Sep 4, 2011 at 10:37 AM

Seems like a good place to interpolate the daily Feesh Flush. That eighth inning was pretty brutal, not to mention pocked with irony. The two teams with, respectively, the most and least innings pitched by their boolpens – ie, with the most and least durable starting rotations – were on the field. And look what happened.

Obviously, there’s no shame in giving up a suborbital shot to the Iron Giant, but when you get hammered by two guys like Cameron who have spent most of the season feeshing in Rio Mendoza, and serve one up to Gaby Sanchez, who has been in a slump that would shame the Greek economy, you’re really up there throwing beachballs to the plate. The pitch Herndon served Gabby seemed to pause mid-plate as if it thought it was supposed to be squatting on a tee. I doubt if the steady, wretched drizzle helped Hamels’ concentration much. The one to Dobbs was another “crush me” job. I remember going back to the bathroom for a dropper full of borac acid solution to clear my eyes.

I think that the unexpected show of fireworks by the Feesh might have been caused by the natural waterbaording they received from the former Tropical Depression 13’s outer bands. Speaking of which, maybe some of the guys were inspired by Dick Cheney’s new book, with its inspiring tale of how he rose to the most powerful orifice in the land from his humble beginnings as an apprentice housepainter in Vienna. Or perhaps the excess moisture in the air, which enabled them, like the last of the former coelocanths, to complete the unsteady evolutionary process by which their fins have turned into prehensile hands capable of actually gripping a bat and swinging it in a meaningful fashion. Or maybe the news that Hanley Ramirez was going to have surgery for his not-structurally damaged shoulder and wouldn’t be sulking around the clubhouse this season inspired them. That, or maybe Larry Beinfest was finally able to locate a Hobbit in the minor leagues who knew the way to Mount Merapi and was able to pitch Hanley’s accursed amulet into the crater. There’ll be fried Pazuzu on the rijsttafel at the Hyatt Regency in Bali soon, so if any of this team’s underpaid overpaids are planning to vacation there this weenter, let’s hope they make sure to ask the former Libyan oil workers who will be working as waiters what everything is. You don’t want to eat the Pazuzu or the dog.

Or maybe it was the malign influence of the Curmudgeonly Undead, who reportedly tore his guys’ asses off in a closed door meeting night before last whose antecedents included only Abu Ghraib and the black hole of Calcutta. The ole stogie stoker was still going at it strong during his friendly chat with Dave Van Horne during the protracted rain delay before the game, snarling that it was time for the guys who didn’t want to be there to impersonate professionals and play hard and sell themselves to some other team during the offseason. Yes, in those words. Laughing bitterly between puffs, I might add. It sounded to me as if the rocking chair and little tin cup of jimson stems on the porch in North Carolina is looking better and better to him as these guys slog onward to feeshing season.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. Y. Molina (3225)