And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights

Sep 5, 2011, 6:44 AM EDT

Arizona Diamondbacks v San Francisco Giants Getty Images

Diamondbacks 4, Giants 1: Bye-bye Giants? They drop two of three to the Dbacks and now find themselves down by seven with 22 to play. Sure, Arizona could collapse — anyone can — but the dirty little secret about history’s big collapses is that they were always accompanied by another team surging. Is there anything about this Giants team that suggests to you that they are capable of a surge? Me neither.

Tigers 18, White Sox 2: Bye-bye White Sox. Note the lack of a question mark here. Detroit swept ‘em in pretty damn convincing fashion. For Chicago the conversation now turns to what is shaping up to be a very eventful offseason.

Indians 9, Royals 6: Two homers and five driven in for Shelley Duncan made my daughter smile when I told her about it. Not that she knows what an RBI is. I mean, I teach her the important stuff about baseball, not beside-the-point facts.

Brewers 4, Astros 0: Shaun Marcum allowed one hit over seven innings. Ryan Braun drove in three. One on a single, one on a homer and one on a bases-loaded walk.

Marlins 5, Phillies 4: Crazy game. And not just for that video-review that maybe shouldn’t have been (and about which we’ll have a dedicated post later this morning).  The Marlins stranded 23 guys and still won. The Phillies walked the ballpark, many of them intentionally. The game finally ended in the 14th when, after one unintentional walk and two intentional walks by David Herndon, he issued one more unintentional walk to force in the winning run. His actual quote after the game: “stuff happens.”  Boy did it.

Yankees 9, Blue Jays 3: Derek Jeter drove in five runs, tying a career high. He’s hitting .346 with 17 extra-base hits and 34 RBIs in 50 games since he came off the DL in early July. I tell ya, his greatness is yet to be fully appreciated.  Homers from Jeter, A-Rod and Nick Swisher helped finish off the sweep. Jose Bautista hit his 40th.

Rangers 11, Red Sox 4: The Bosox allowed 28 runs while dropping two of three to Texas. In the one game they won they scored 12. This could be a fun playoffs matchup. And by fun I mean “dear God I hope these guys figure out how to pitch in the next month.”

Angels 4, Twins 1: Los Angeles of Anaheim beats Minnesota of Minneapolis, keeping pace 3.5 back of Texas. The Angels are the only team who wouldn’t make the playoffs if the season ended today which has a greater than 10 percent chance of making it overall based on however that playoff possibility factor is calculated. They’re at 10.6 percent.

Padres 7, Rockies 2: Will Venable and Jeremy Hermida each drove in three, helping snap a nine-game losing streak.

Cubs 6, Pirates 3: Randy Wells had his second-straight strong start. After the game people were asking him if he’s found his 2009 form again after a tough 2010. One of the things he said about last year: “There was a lot of stuff off the field that was said and thrown out there that was false.” Which sounds more like something a person on a reality show or some pop star who has been in the tabloids a lot says. But hey, I suppose that’s where we are as a society.

Athletics 8, Mariners 5: Hideki Matsui continues his hot second half hitting, smacking three doubles. He’s batting .343 since the break. The A’s sweep.

Reds 3, Cardinals 2: This is why there was no real reason for the Brewers to freak after getting swept by the Cards last week. To stay in it, St. Louis still had to, you know, beat other teams. The Reds took two of three in this series. Juan Francisco had four hits including the go-ahead single in the 10th. Lance Berkman, looking ahead to the Milwaukee series that kicks off today:

“If we can sweep them again, we can put ourselves at least within the realm of possibility, I guess you could say.”

Well, I guess you could say that. You could say a lot of things.

Mets 6, Nationals 3: From the game story: “[Willie Harris'] pinch-hit single highlighted a four-run sixth inning, spoiling what was likely Hernandez’s final game with Washington.” Seeing as though Livan Hernandez is easily my least favorite player in baseball, please forgive me if I shed no tears over this.

Rays 8, Orioles 1: The battle of the Jeremys. Hellickson has two complete games this year, each of which were four-hitters against the O’s. Shocker. Guthrie took his 17th loss. If he stays in the rotation and the rotation stays on schedule, he would get four more starts this year. C’mon, Jeremy! You can do it!

Braves 4, Dodgers 3: Atlanta salvages one, snapping the Dodgers’ six-game winning streak. Martin Prado drove in the winning run with a single in the bottom of the ninth. Chipper Jones called it “one of our biggest wins of the year.” Maybe he’s right.  I know people who are able to talk in detail about random games from five months ago — or heck, five years ago — but I’m not one of those people. Maybe I read too many box scores or something and they all blend together to me. So I guess this was one of the team’s bigger wins. We’re just at the point of the season when I’ve forgotten a lot of what has happened, so I can’t really say.

1. scottsimkus - Sep 5, 2011 at 6:53 AM

Best news out of the Chicago Cubs camp in years: The team is considering severing decades-long ties with $8 gator piss known as Old Style beer. One curse may finally be broken.

• yankeesfanlen - Sep 5, 2011 at 7:10 AM

As one of the 43 Teamsters left in Eau Claire producing this marvelous beverage, I curse you.

• scottsimkus - Sep 5, 2011 at 7:31 AM

My father has done his level-best to single-handedly keep Old Style in business. You should be thanking me.

2. yankeesfanlen - Sep 5, 2011 at 7:06 AM

Happy Labor Day. Cool autumn nights will soon be upon us which call to an end to the white attire, cocktails at sunset on the yacht, and nude sunbathing with one’s significant other. Ah, well.

Bephore this hallowed site becomes philled with Phightins’ Phans phussing and protesting and whatnot, please allow some Universe observations:

Does anyone notice that Beep-beep’s histrionics always take place on weekend day games at sold-out Yankee Stadium. ARod, that ignorant slut, hit a home run as well. And Swisher. The clown.

Prime Minister Harper was in attendance yesterday, but could only coax one ball going yard by Bautista. Still, a much less volitile situation than President Obama being greeted at Newark airport (Liberty?- ah, EWR) by Gov. Crisco.

To those who say the DH league is not true baseball- Yankees are 37-9 in game day. Curse the darkness.

With good conscience, can now turn this esteemed daily over to the PHeeesh PHight.

• joshftw - Sep 5, 2011 at 8:19 AM

How fortuitous that the Yankees get three out of the next five games in the afternoon.

• proudlycanadian - Sep 5, 2011 at 8:45 AM

The Fillys are still America’s team. Go Fillys go!

3. halladaysbiceps - Sep 5, 2011 at 7:09 AM

I could talk about the two punk Phillies fan college students from USF that decided to interfere with a ball in play and laugh about it. I could also talk about Cowgirl Joe West once again thinking he is omnipotent and that the rules of baseball do not apply to him. But, not know. The Phillies offense is in dire need answers. I start with Chase Utley. He had 7 of the worst at bats that I have ever seen. He looks lost at the plate. Anything he pulles to the right side is weak. But, mostly, he hits lazy fly balls to the left side of the field. Chase needs to sit for the next couple of days. He stunk on this road trip. Stunk!!! And I don’t care if the Phillies are facing 3 righthanders in the Atlanta series. He sits!!!

Polanco looks like he’s done for the season. His back, which I clearly stated weeks before the trade deadline, would never be right the rest of the year and they needed insurance at 3rd. Well, looking like I was right there. Because of his back problem, he has no gap power and hits balls weakly in the infield at this point. He needs to be DL’d (which won’t happen) and they need to bring anyone that can at least put the ball in the outfield with the bat every once in awhile.

Now, onto David Herndon. They did leave him out to dry yesterday because they had no more pitchers to bring into the game. This responsibility for lack of a couple of more pitchers is squarely on Ruben Amaro. But, we all know who Herndon is. He stinks!!! I would only put him out there if you are trailing by 5 or more runs for garbage relief. They also didn’t have Kendrick to use because he’s on Paternity leave. I have stated before that giving these guys multiple days off can hurt a ballclub. Well, here it did. Him not being with the team may have costed them the game. Oh well, I’m always wrong about these things.

• yankeesfanlen - Sep 5, 2011 at 7:11 AM

See?

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 5, 2011 at 7:22 AM

Len, I haven’t even had my coffee yet. It’s still auto-dripping in the maker. A few more minutes for some much needed java. I’m just getting started. Soon, my brethern will arive.

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 5, 2011 at 7:35 AM

Asked about the incident after the game, the Phillies “fan” said, “Get over it.” That isn’t going to play well.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 5, 2011 at 7:46 AM

Yeah. He must be a winner, along with his reject buddy. Watch these two clowns get some additional media attention. I wouldn’t be suprised that they are brought on Good Morning America or Letterman, just to make Philly look bad again. I would bar them from ever attending another MLB game again for the stunt they pulled.

• phillyphreak - Sep 5, 2011 at 7:44 AM

So Nostradamus, who do you propose play 2nd and 3rd?

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 5, 2011 at 7:49 AM

Call up Orr and have him play at 3rd. Valdez at 2nd.

• phillyphreak - Sep 5, 2011 at 7:51 AM

Well, thankfully, you’re not the GM.

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 5, 2011 at 7:52 AM

I think (hope) that Utley will come out of his slump. 2-28 I believe and hasn’t looked good doing it. I don’t think he has to do with his knee as his range and speed appear normal. I do think that he should be rested coming down the stretch….like every 4th game or something along those lines. Same with Polanco. I’m sure his ailments are contributing to some of his problems but he hasn’t been terrible recently. Made some nice plays a 3rd and had some hits. Sure he doesn’t smoke them into the gap, but he hasn’t done that a majority of the season.

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 5, 2011 at 7:53 AM

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 5, 2011 at 7:58 AM

Definitely, Doctor. Utley needs to sit and get rest. That’s why I would bring up Orr. Since Rollins won’t be back until the middle of the month, they need another infielder on the roster to fill-in. Orr will spell a few games for both Polanco and Utley. These guys need to sit some. They are only hurting the team. Polanco is pretty much useless at this point at the plate, besides his glove in the field.

Another guy I want to bring up is Pence. I know he’s a free swinger, but, Christ, use a little more patience at the plate. Yesterday he has 6 ABs and sees only 15 pitches? That’s unacceptable. Be a little more selective, Pence.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 5, 2011 at 8:01 AM

“Given that scenario, I would play Orr at 2nd, Valdez at SS, and Martinez at 3rd.”

Yeah, Doctor. Your configuration is better from a defensive standpoint. My main point is that they need to bring another infielder up ASAP. Orr is probably the guy.

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 5, 2011 at 8:05 AM

Pence is who he is. He goes up there hacking. That isn’t going to change…at least not this season or ever. The Iron Pigs are going to make the playoffs so RAJ is in a bit of a bind. I’m sure he would like to call up a few guys (he surely has to call up at least one RP if KK isn’t back, right?) but won’t want to hinder their quest for an International League Championship too much. I don’t have the numbers in front of me, but I don’t think Polanco has been terrible since his return. Looked good on defense too. Sure he booted that ball yesterday, but he has made several sweet plays over there as well.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 5, 2011 at 8:11 AM

Polanco has hit .182 in this early month of September. He hit .280 last month, which is OK. But, he hasn’t had an extra base hit SINCE June 26th.

• addictedzone - Sep 5, 2011 at 11:16 AM

To steal (and slightly change) a headline from Matthew’s post last Friday:

Note to Phillies management: your team’s fans deserve better

The Phillies were forced to let David Herndon bat for himself in an extra inning game (and proceed to walk 4 in the 14th) because the Phillies were too cheap to bring up any extras pitchers when rosters expanded.

Of course, the Marlins have now matched a record that can only be called the great 4-man walkoff, first made famous by http://bit.ly/p0GnKx

4. uyf1950 - Sep 5, 2011 at 8:04 AM

First I want to wish all the good fans here a Very Happy and Safe Labor Day, traditionally the end of Summer.

As for Sunday’s games, specifically the Yankees/Jays game. CC looked much better yesterday then he has looked in his last few outing. Winning his 19 of the season against just 7 loses. Looks like another 20 win season for him. It was also a very good offensive day for the Yankees. The Yankees are doing what they traditionally do in September that is taking care of business. And they have increased the AL East lead to 1.5 games against the 2nd place Red Sox. Call me an optimist but with 24 games remaining and their record standing at 85-23 I can see the Yankees winning 99 and perhaps even 100 games before the regular season is over. I don’t think any of us even myself would have given the Yankees a chance to get to triple digits in wins this year.
    But as I like to say let’s cross that bridge when the Yankees get to it. For now it’s one game at a time, one series at a time. So as Yankee fans we need just sit back and enjoy the regular season as it comes to an end.

Once again everyone have a happy and safe Labor Day.

5. phillyphreak - Sep 5, 2011 at 8:08 AM

If you’re talking about resting them once in a while that’s fine. They still play good defense, which is also important. Just don’t be surprised when the offensive output of Orr Valdez and Martinez isn’t any better than Utley and Polanco.

And you’re really going to pick on Pence? He’s been solid since the Phillies got him. Players have ups and downs during the season.

These message boards are sounding more and more like a WIP show……

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 5, 2011 at 8:16 AM

I’m only looking at this particular game with Pence. I’m not giving a total season indictment of the player. What don’t you get? It’s just this particular game. In 6 ABs he saw only 15 pitches. That’s less than 3 pitches per appearance and is unacceptable. He needs to see a few more pitches. That’s all I’m saying. I’m the biggest defender of any Phillies player. But, I will critisice them when warranted.

• phillyphreak - Sep 5, 2011 at 8:21 AM

I think it’s fine. It’s one game. Don’t get your panties in a bunch for one game. Pence is seeing 3.85 pitches /PA this season. So yea, lower than the season average but again it’s one game. He’s an aggressive hitter so he’s going to swing early and often.

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 5, 2011 at 8:19 AM

I think every few games for those 2 would be fine as well. Like I said above, don’t think Utley’s problems are knee related. It looks to be timing at the plate. That is what usually happens when he is going bad. He is a split second late allowing the ball to get in on him resulting in those lazy fly balls to left. Polanco is who he is at this point in his career. He is a better everyday option than Martinez obviously…and there is nobody else to chuck out there. Offensively, nobody has been great recently, except for maybe Valdez oddly enough and the still went 5-2 on the road trip. Howard has looked Ok too I guess.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 5, 2011 at 8:30 AM

I think the problem with Utley runs deeper. I think he is showing some aging at this point. When a player ages, they start to lose timing more frequently. This is why rest is important for him.

But, the knee could also be a problem and he’s not telling anyone. He wants to play everyday. I don’t blame him for this. If his knee is still huting, this could also be affecting his ability to turn on a pitch and pull it.

These guys need to sit more often for the stretch run. We need them for the playoffs. Charlie needs to recognize this and do the right thing. We have the pitching to be able to do this.

• Old Gator - Sep 5, 2011 at 11:29 AM

I think the problem with the entire stupid game yesterday was that is was played in a misting drizzle with on-again off-again shpritzes. The air itself was muddy, a classic looneytune Macondo monsoon afternoon dominated by buffoons on the field and communing poltroons in the stands. It couldn’t have ended too soon. Nobody looked like they knew what they were doing. I thought I saw Doc squeezing moisture out of the ball on a couple of occasions. But the good news is, next season the Feesh will be playing under a retractable roof in the spanking new, high-tech, airconditioned utterly charmless giant Transformers helmet of Macondo Banana Massacre Field. Nature, with all her idiosyncrasies, shall be banished. There will be nothing but margarine on your arepas.

I refuse to join in on the Joe West bashing. It would be like kicking a hippopotamus while he was down.

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 5, 2011 at 11:38 AM

“like kicking a hippopotamus while he is down”

Comment of the decade.

• Old Gator - Sep 5, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Thank you. With nine years to go, that’s a major compliment.

Incidentally, I forgot to note that, by abandoning 23 runners last night, the Feesh came incredibly close to perfection – and might have achieved it if Herndon had been able to throw three strikes to Mike Cameron before his arm fell off. I believe that given their demonstrated disinclination to drive runners home (in gross illustration of the Giamatti Principle that “baseball is about going home again, and how hard it is to get there”), they will, before the season is over, actually leave 27 men on base.

• yankeesfanlen - Sep 5, 2011 at 11:53 AM

That would entail GETTING 27 men on base for the Feesh, more than their accumlative season total before last night.

6. joshftw - Sep 5, 2011 at 8:15 AM

Wouldn’t it be freaky if we had another Yankees/D-backs World Series exactly 10 years after the last one?

Except, of course, the Yankees would have to win it this time.

• Kevin S. - Sep 5, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Not really freaky. Aside from the arbitrariness of the ten-year gap, it’s not even unprecedented – the Yanks and Dodgers squared up in both ’53 and ’63, while the Tigers beat the Cubs in ’35 and ’45.

7. cur68 - Sep 5, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Gooood Mornin’ All. I see the angst-fest has started without me. Its a holiday you know? Labour day in fact. Sorry: Labor Day. I’m holding off reading the CobowJoeWest (CBJW) post for a bit out of respect for this great holiday. Anyhow I know what it’ll contain.

Semi-Lost in some of the tooth gnashing (@ my house) of watching the Hated Yankees sweep the worthies of the Beaver Men was Jose Bautista’s 40th homer. 2 clear now of the 2nd place guy (some fly-by-night named “Granderson”). JB leads the league in HR, OBP, OPS & walks. Has a BA of ~ .310 and grows a better beard than the Dos Equis guy. And he can play pretty good right field, to boot. MVP, right?

If this team had an infield, a left fielder, a center fielder and any one else on that team batting over .280 for a full season not named “Escobar” they might be pretty good. If the team had a rotation that could count on some bullpen support, then they might be great. Alas. While I’m wishin’ that someone could cure the relief pitching’ lonely condition I think I’d also like to request Eric Thames get over his cold, Escobar recover from his sore shoulder, Rasmus his wrist, Davis’s hammy, Lind’s back, and I want John McDonald back from Arizona, too.

• deathmonkey41 - Sep 5, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Not sure if it was some sort of cosmic payback for the series sweep, but there was a damn Blue Jay making a hell of a ruckus at about 6:30 this morning in the tree behind my window. Do you happen to know how to say STFU in Blue Jay?

• cur68 - Sep 5, 2011 at 12:05 PM

I use a rock.

• yankeesfanlen - Sep 5, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Please begin to win all you want now, cur. Be rootin’ for ya.

• yankeesfanlen - Sep 5, 2011 at 12:02 PM

oh, and BTW

• cur68 - Sep 5, 2011 at 12:15 PM

Thanks for the reply and the well wishes Len. I’m sure today’s the day the Beaver Men begin to close out their season with the most dramatic comeback by a team to make the post season. This feat by a team comprised of AA & AAA players in 4 of 9 spots and a bullpen comprised of arms so dead zombies take notice every time they’re called upon. This improbable start of the comeback will be kicked off against one of the top 3 teams in all baseball and a contender for the AL BEast crown, the Boston Red Sox. Gird your loins everyone: s’gonna be epic. Or they’ll lose a good portion of the remaining games, be lucky to finish around .500 and Alex Anthopolous will sell the bullpen in 2 for 1 deal to get some relief pitching and a legit closer in a series of moves that no one saw coming. All this last prefaced by the statement “Oh, well. There’s always next season”. Or something.

• deathmonkey41 - Sep 5, 2011 at 12:46 PM

I’m a diehard Blue Jays fan for their next three games!

8. APBA Guy - Sep 5, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Los Gigantes are finished, cooked. All done. As I said the other day, the pall that has settles over SF and the surrounds is palpable, like the fog in a film noir night scene. This would be a good time to remind everyone how lucky SF was last year, how fortuitous they were to take advantage of SD’s incredible collapse AND have their pitching AND offense go on a season best tear during October. That’s like rolling two dice and having results of three straight 66’s. That doesn’t happen that often. (1 x 36 x 36 x 36).

But enough elementary statistics. The A’s, in contrast to the Giants, are en fuego as the veterans play for next year’s employment. Matsui had 3 doubles Sunday and Brandon McCarthy lowered his # 5 starter ERA to 3.41 on Saturday. Though it’s worthwhile to remember that last year the A’s were two games below .500 compared to today’s 12 below. They’ll have to have a hell of a September to finish at least year’s .500.

9. goawaydog - Sep 5, 2011 at 3:34 PM

The Giants, RIP, it has been a long season, we had some highs ( insert Timmy jokes here) and plenty of lows, an insufferable amount of injuries and still played above 500 ball. We beat some good teams, and lost to some bad teams ( more than we would have liked). We still have one of the best ball yards to go to, a bright future in young talent to watch for years to come, a crew of announcers who could make watching paint dry (insert jokes about Giants hitters here) interesting, entertaining and insightfuland and a GM who … Oh never mind not much good for me to say there until he kicks his habit of paying overly old declining half blind ball players with bad knees extra long contracts. Win or lose, love me some Giants, I wear my cap year round. Hey now I can look forward to the winter meetings right?

A managerial overanalysis epidemic