Sep 5, 2011, 12:19 PM EDT
This is Jenks’ third disabled list stint of the season and he allowed 12 runs in 16 innings in between the injuries, so the Red Sox have no real motivation to get him healthy to serve as a mop-up man down the stretch anyway.
However, because they signed Jenks to a two-year, $12 million deal as a free agent he’ll be under contract for $6 million next season.
In other Red Sox injury news, Erik Bedard is expected to skip his next turn in the rotation because of a knee injury. Unlike with Jenks there’s plenty of motivation to get Bedard healthy, as he’s thrown 32 innings with a 3.66 ERA and 32/13 K/BB ratio since joining Boston’s rotation.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 48
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 23
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 25
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 45
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)