Sep 5, 2011, 12:19 PM EDT
This is Jenks’ third disabled list stint of the season and he allowed 12 runs in 16 innings in between the injuries, so the Red Sox have no real motivation to get him healthy to serve as a mop-up man down the stretch anyway.
However, because they signed Jenks to a two-year, $12 million deal as a free agent he’ll be under contract for $6 million next season.
In other Red Sox injury news, Erik Bedard is expected to skip his next turn in the rotation because of a knee injury. Unlike with Jenks there’s plenty of motivation to get Bedard healthy, as he’s thrown 32 innings with a 3.66 ERA and 32/13 K/BB ratio since joining Boston’s rotation.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 42
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 36
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 87
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 17
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)