Sep 5, 2011, 8:12 PM EDT
While Hanson is currently sidelined with a small undersurface rotator cuff tear in his right shoulder, it sounds like he’s a lot closer to returning than Jurrjens. According to David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Hanson reported no discomfort after throwing from a distance of 120 feet Monday. He is at least one week away from a rehab start, but hopes to make one or two starts with the Braves before the regular season comes to a close.
The news isn’t nearly as rosy for Jurrjens. While Dr. Richard Steadman in Colorado confirmed the original diagnosis of a bone bruise in his right knee and ruled out any structural damage, the right-hander was advised to not throw off a mound for two weeks. The Braves haven’t ruled him out, but this would seem to give him little time to prepare in order to be a part of the NLDS roster. Jurrjens had arthroscopic surgery on the same knee last October and missed the playoffs.
The Braves currently have Tim Hudson, Derek Lowe and Brandon Beachy as locks for the postseason rotation and would likely fill the fourth spot with rookie left-hander Mike Minor if Jurrjens and Hanson are unable to return.
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 0
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 8
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 10
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 19
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 12
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 38
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)