UPDATE: Zach Stewart loses perfect game in eighth inning

Sep 5, 2011, 10:12 PM EDT

Chicago White Sox v Minnesota Twins Getty Images

UPDATE: And so much for that. Danny Valencia led off the bottom of the eighth inning with a double to right field, ending Zach Stewart‘s bid for a perfect game and no-hitter.

10:04 PM: Zach Stewart is now perfect through seven innings. Ben Revere flied out to shallow left-center field, Trevor Plouffe skied out to right and Joe Mauer lined one right at shortstop Alexei Ramirez for the third out.

Stewart is at 75 pitches and will get Danny Valencia, Rene Tosoni and Luke Hughes in the eighth. By the way, Valencia is batting cleanup tonight. Ouch.

9:58 PM: We have a perfect game alert on this Labor Day evening in Minnesota.

White Sox rookie right-hander Zach Stewart is perfect through six innings tonight against the Twins.

Stewart, who was acquired from the Blue Jays in July as part of the three-way Colby Rasmus trade, has struck out six batters and thrown 45 out of 65 pitches for strikes. This is his eight major league start.

The White Sox plated two runs in the top of the seventh to extend their lead to 4-0, an inning which also included a pitching change, so it will be interesting to see if the long break affects Stewart on the mound.

Stay tuned to see if the rookie right-hander can make a little history.

1. Joe - Sep 5, 2011 at 10:03 PM

BREAKING: Twins aggregate on-base percentage unchanged.

2. halladaysbiceps - Sep 5, 2011 at 10:07 PM

I hope he does it. However, you may have jinxed him. We never heard of these reports until it was done. I guess throwing a perfect game through six innings warrants a log entry.

Not busting your stones, D.J. I just hope the kid doesn’t blow it. Call me old school. We never talk about this stuff. Ever.:)

• D.J. Short - Sep 5, 2011 at 10:09 PM

Hm. I guess you haven’t been reading this site for as long as I hoped. :-)

We have regularly broken into these sort of things in the past.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 5, 2011 at 10:11 PM

I’m watching right now. Sorry. Call me “Old”, if you like. I don’t like talking when there is a no-no or whatever going on. That’s how I was brought up. :)

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 5, 2011 at 10:09 PM

I will say this, D.J. Just tuned into the game. Thanks. I hoped he isn’t jixed (lol!!!!).

• Joe - Sep 5, 2011 at 10:10 PM

Discussing a baseball game on the internet can in no way alter what happens on the field.

• D.J. Short - Sep 5, 2011 at 10:11 PM

And that. And that.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 5, 2011 at 10:14 PM

Perfect game and no hitter gone. Geeze.

3. cur68 - Sep 5, 2011 at 10:13 PM

A double by Valencia. Ozzie will be eloquent about this, I;m sure.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 5, 2011 at 10:16 PM

That’s why it should never be discussed. Keep perfect games/no hitters to yourself until they happen. Never speak about them.

4. Francisco (FC) - Sep 5, 2011 at 10:14 PM

Figures as soon as I tune in he gives up a double…. :(

• cur68 - Sep 5, 2011 at 10:19 PM

No worries FC: kid’s got a 1 hitte thru 8. But if you want relevant baseball the Angels are playing the Mariners right now. That game’s @ 6 -2 in the bottom of the 4th. An Angels win put them 2.5 back of Texas. Aside from the chances of Ozzie flipping his wig, I think the drama’s pretty much over in Minnesota.

5. Brian Murphy - Sep 5, 2011 at 10:21 PM

Still a good bit of history. According to B-R, Stewart became just the second pitcher to throw at least seven perfect innings in a start with 10 or fewer career MLB appearances to his credits (tonight’s start is his 10th).

The other pitcher was on the White Sox as well. Charlie Robertson threw a perfect game against the Indians in just his third ML appearance. It happened on April 26, 1922.

• Joe - Sep 6, 2011 at 12:09 AM

Who gave this a thumbs down? Thanks for an interesting tidbit.

6. halladaysbiceps - Sep 5, 2011 at 10:23 PM

Good Night, guys. Gotta go to sleep. I was pulling to see a perfect game. It shows you how hard it is to throw one. It really is.

• cur68 - Sep 5, 2011 at 10:26 PM

Only 8PM. Lots more baseball for me!

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. G. Stanton (4042)