Sep 5, 2011, 3:15 PM EDT
Carlos Beltran was finally starting to produce for the Giants, collecting eight hits in his last three games, so naturally he’s been scratched from today’s lineup with what Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News describes as “food poisoning/stomach ailment.”
Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle called it “a gastric illness,” so I think it’s safe to say Beltran didn’t have a very good morning.
Cody Ross shifted from left field to right field in Beltran’s absence, with Brandon Belt making his 16th start in left field. Beltran has played well for San Francisco, hitting .318 with an .859 OPS that basically matches his career mark, but he’s now missed 13 of the 36 games since the Giants gave up top prospect Zack Wheeler to get him from the Mets.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 9
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 103
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 55
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (79)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- WATCH LIVE: Wings-Hawks, Game 4
- PHT: Rangers live another day, edge Bruins in OT
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1