Sep 5, 2011, 3:15 PM EDT
Carlos Beltran was finally starting to produce for the Giants, collecting eight hits in his last three games, so naturally he’s been scratched from today’s lineup with what Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News describes as “food poisoning/stomach ailment.”
Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle called it “a gastric illness,” so I think it’s safe to say Beltran didn’t have a very good morning.
Cody Ross shifted from left field to right field in Beltran’s absence, with Brandon Belt making his 16th start in left field. Beltran has played well for San Francisco, hitting .318 with an .859 OPS that basically matches his career mark, but he’s now missed 13 of the 36 games since the Giants gave up top prospect Zack Wheeler to get him from the Mets.
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 5
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 21
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 9
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 47
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)