Chipper Jones on the Phillies: “we’re not scared of them”

Sep 5, 2011, 11:48 AM EST

Washington Nationals v Atlanta Braves Getty Images

Chipper Jones has no illusions that the Braves are going to catch the Phillies in the NL East — he rules that possibility out — but he thinks the Braves stack up pretty well with them overall and is hoping the teams meet in the playoffs:

“The only team that can really put any pressure on them and beat them somewhat is us. And I hope we get them head-to-head in the postseason. If we get them head-to-head, we like our chances. We’ve beaten their big three. I’m not sure if any other team in baseball has beaten their big three. They’re a great ballclub, don’t get me wrong. But we’re not scared of them. It’s going to be a knock down, drag out [fight].”

I think playoff predictions are kind of silly. Every team — even the best teams — play three or four lackluster games in a row several times a season and every team — even flawed ones — play three or four awesome games in a row several times a year.  If those things line up just right (or wrong) in a series in October we tend to read more into it than we should. Which is understandable because of the stakes involved and the significance of the victory after the fact. But it’s not like one can predict that kind of thing.

So, yeah, if the Braves meet the Phillies in the NLCS there is a chance they could beat them. If you put a gun to my head and make me pick a winner I say it’s the Phillies because I have a hard time seeing how anyone can beat Halladay, Lee and Hamels the requisite number of times to advance past them. But of course there is a chance anyone can beat anyone in a short series, so that’s not worth a ton.

And given the Braves’ postseason experiences over the course of his career, Chipper Jones knows that inferior teams can easily beat superior teams at any time because the playoffs are just crazy and unpredictable like that. Indeed, he knows that better than any active player in baseball. Which makes me think that — wait for it — he’s just trying to mess with Phillies fans, much the way he messed with Mets fans for years.

Imagine that. A Braves partisan baiting Phillies fans.  That’s unpossible!

1. drmonkeyarmy - Sep 5, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Of course he is going to say that. What is suppose to say, “I’ll be at the local Hooters, listening to Paul Simon’s ‘Graceland’, cowering in fear while my teammates are taking Xanax because we are so afraid to play the Phillies.” ?

• heyblueyoustink - Sep 5, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Chipper strikes me as more of an abba fan, maybe s.o.s. or something. And the Brewers are the more viable threat at the moment with both Hanson and Juirjens looking at injury problems in september.

Good for him though, nice veteran kind of comment.

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 5, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Everybody is a Paul Simon fan….or at least they should be.

2. schmedley69 - Sep 5, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Anything can happen in the playoffs. Look at the Marlins. 2-time World Champions and they still haven’t won a division title. The Phillies are not invincible. Halladay, as good as he is, will occasionally have games like yesterday where he struggles. Last year, other than the no-hitter against the Reds, he was mediocre in the playoffs. Cliff Lee got slapped around in the World Series. Nothing is etched in stone. It’s very hard to win a championship. The 2008 Phillies were not as good as the 2009 and 2010 teams, but things broke the right way and the won it. Teams with nothing to lose sometimes are the most dangerous.

• jeffro33 - Sep 5, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Between the likely playoff teams of the Phils, Brewers, D-Backs, Braves, Red Sox, Yankees, Tigers and Rangers, who has “nothing to lose”??

I think that come playoff time, everyone has something to lose. The notion that one team may play more loosely than another because of expectations is false. Every player should expect to be at their best during this time.

3. proudlycanadian - Sep 5, 2011 at 12:14 PM

I am sure that Larry is aware that the Phillies are not afraid of the Braves either. My team has defeated both the Phillies and the Braves in the World series; however, most Jays fans are rooting for Doc to win the world series this season, preferably over the Evil Empire. Speaking of Rhymin Simon, the Phillies remind me of The Boxer and the Braves remind me of Mrs. Robinson.

4. heyblueyoustink - Sep 5, 2011 at 12:19 PM

I think everyone should be a bad religion fan, or at least a me first and the gimme gimme’s fan.

5. Francisco (FC) - Sep 5, 2011 at 12:24 PM

“Thank you for joining me for the next HBT Daily Chipper, it’s a huge honor to have you here in my lair…err… studio.” Craig crossed his legs and puffed his bubble pipe a few times for effect. The bathrobe reflected a nice little sheen having been recently cleaned.

“Thank you Craig, I must say it’s an honor for me to be invited to HBT. I’m a fan and I always check this site every morning,” Chipper was in “civilian clothes” but his equipment bag was ready at his feet, he was catching a super-sonic private flight to Philly within the hour. “I must say you look quite elegant in that Braves bathrobe with the specs and the pipe. Quite the baseball gentleman look you have going.”

“Why thank you Chipper, it’s also very comfortable for watching baseball games. I know you have little time so let’s get to the heart of the matter. Braves-Phillies. The Post-Season. You think the Braves have a shot?”

“Of course, they’re a nice ball-club but not invincible. Plus if their fans keep interfering in ball games that just increases our WPA, know what I mean?”.

Craig gave a chuckle and a few bubbles. Glancing at the master status screen, he noted with satisfaction that the twitter traffic sky-rocketed with indignant Philly fans posting the many ways Craig and Chipper will meet their demise. It was just too easy. “If there’s one reason you think the Braves will be successful this post-season what would it be?”

“No more Conrad”, answered Chipper. Both of them roared in shared laughter that almost reduced them to tears.

Tiffany took the opportunity to interject: “You should see what he did to his Conrad bobble-head figure. Twice as bad as what he did to the Howard and Jeter one.”

“Tiffany, we agreed we would not speak again of the incident in question,” declared Craig in a serious huff. Tiffany tried to hide her amused smile with a hand but still winked at Chipper anyway. The future Hall-of-Famer stood up. “Well Craig, time’s up. It’s been fun but you know I have places to go, baseball teams to beat, fans to rile up.”

“You do that so well Chipper. First the Mets, now the Phillies.”

“Hey I learned it from the best Craig. And that’s you. Truly, YOU are the Master Baiter,” said Chipper with a grave tone and walked out of the room.

Craig puffed another few bubbles with pride. “Why yes I am thank you- wait, what?” Did Chipper just bait… HIM? The man was pure genius! Just one more thing to do.

“Tiffany, I want to edit that last part out before we publish on the site.”

• Kevin S. - Sep 5, 2011 at 12:51 PM

Seriously, we’ve got to get these things out of the comments and into a book or something. Fantastic.

• cur68 - Sep 5, 2011 at 1:03 PM

Yup. Phansatic, indeed. I can just see him scrunching his athletic-sock clad feet into his Phanatic-hide rug as he thinks of new baits, bubbles furiously emerging from his pipe.

6. flyinhighwithvick - Sep 5, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Say what you want Larry, but you’re 9 back in the loss column.

• flyinhighwithvick - Sep 5, 2011 at 1:56 PM

10 thumbs down as opposed to 2 thumbs up??? But its the truth!!!!

7. mercyflush - Sep 5, 2011 at 1:08 PM

Larry should be more worried about the Brewers than the Phillies. To say something like “I hope we get the Phillies in the playoffs” is implying that the Braves will win the NLDS, since the only way to play the Phils is in the NLCS.

The Brew Crew are just as good as if not better than the Braves (especially with the Hanson and Jurrjens injury issues). Plus they’ll have the home field advantage in the NLDS. I think the Braves are one and done yet again this post season.

8. jeffro33 - Sep 5, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Chipper also has more experience is postseason failure than every other active player… No reason to be afraid seeing as this is just an extension of what is normal to him, fail.

9. everybodyhitswoohoo - Sep 5, 2011 at 3:41 PM

“The only team that can really put any pressure on them and beat them somewhat is us.”

The Brewers, who we have four against next week and who equal the Braves in record and run differential, say hi.

“We’ve beaten their big three.”

Sounds like what Giants fans were saying about our rotation coming into this year. Past success guarantees nothing. Not to mention, Hamels has been fine against the Braves this year and Halladay has been lights out against them in his career. Lee’s the only one with bad numbers against them, and that’s because of one really bad start earlier this year.

But all things considered, I wouldn’t expect him or anyone to say anything less.

10. nyyankeedave - Sep 5, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Nobody’s afraid of the Phillies-and it’ll be proven AGAIN come playoff time.

11. bobfromphilly - Sep 5, 2011 at 10:33 PM

And the results of tonight’s game: Phils 9, Braves 0. Keep applying that somewhat pressure, Chipper. I think you just made them mad.

12. macjacmccoy - Sep 8, 2011 at 1:19 AM

He does know that better then anyone Chipper was always on the superior team that choked in the playoffs.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4855)
  2. M. Kemp (3444)
  3. J. Upton (2524)
  4. J. Kang (2490)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2468)
  1. C. McGehee (2446)