Sep 5, 2011, 2:14 PM EST
Mark Reynolds committed two errors yesterday to increase his season total to a franchise-record 26 errors at third base and he’s only started 111 games there, which has Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun expecting the Orioles to move him across the diamond to first base next season.
Reynolds had been playing mostly first base recently before moving back to third base yesterday, but his hitting will be a whole lot less impressive if compared to first basemen full time.
This season the average AL first baseman is hitting .271 with a .790 OPS while the average third baseman is hitting .244 with a .695 OPS. Reynolds is hitting .221 with a .797 OPS, so he’s been almost exactly average for a first baseman and 100 points above average for a third baseman. That’s a huge difference and sticking at third base would allow the Orioles to potentially get another big bat in the lineup at first base.
Of course, the potential offense lost by shifting Reynolds to first base might be worth the defensive gains. And not just because of his high error total. Ultimate Zone Rating, which takes into account all plays defensively rather than just the obvious miscues covered by errors, pegs Reynolds as 21.5 runs below average at third base this season and 10.2 runs below average per 150 games there for his career.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 46
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 169
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (169)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (77)