Sep 5, 2011, 11:17 AM EDT
Grady Sizemore is back from the disabled list following a brief minor-league rehab assignment and in the Indians’ lineup today for the first time since July 17, leading off against the Tigers.
Sizemore was initially placed on the DL with a right knee contusion and then underwent sports hernia surgery while sidelined, missing a total of 44 games while the Indians went 21-23 in his absence and fell from a first-place tie in the AL Central to 6.5 games behind the Tigers.
He also missed three weeks with similar knee problems in May and Sizemore hit just .214 with a .289 on-base percentage and .377 slugging percentage in 43 games between DL stints. He’ll try to help the Indians stay in the playoff picture and with the team holding an $8.5 million option or $500,000 buyout for 2012 he’s also playing for his future in Cleveland.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 105
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8