Sep 5, 2011, 11:17 AM EDT
Grady Sizemore is back from the disabled list following a brief minor-league rehab assignment and in the Indians’ lineup today for the first time since July 17, leading off against the Tigers.
Sizemore was initially placed on the DL with a right knee contusion and then underwent sports hernia surgery while sidelined, missing a total of 44 games while the Indians went 21-23 in his absence and fell from a first-place tie in the AL Central to 6.5 games behind the Tigers.
He also missed three weeks with similar knee problems in May and Sizemore hit just .214 with a .289 on-base percentage and .377 slugging percentage in 43 games between DL stints. He’ll try to help the Indians stay in the playoff picture and with the team holding an $8.5 million option or $500,000 buyout for 2012 he’s also playing for his future in Cleveland.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)