Sep 5, 2011, 9:24 PM EST
We may finally have some resolution in the great Ike Davis ankle saga of 2011.
Davis, who hasn’t played since May 11 due to a bone bruise in his left ankle, told Anthony DiComo of MLB.com today that he is confident he will be able to avoid surgery. The 24-year-old first baseman has been pain-free for the past two weeks and resumed baseball activities over the weekend.
“Right now, all we can do is try to do the best thing for my career,” he said. “The best thing is not to have surgery right now. If it stays like this, I won’t have to.”
Davis still needs to visit team doctors when the Mets return home to New York later this week, but barring a setback, he plans to have a normal offseason before gearing up for spring training.
We’ll never know what Davis would have done had he played the entire season, but he was off to a tremendous start before his freak collision with teammate David Wright, batting .302/.383/.543 with seven home runs, 25 RBI and a .925 OPS over his first 149 plate appearances. The Mets are hoping 2012 isn’t nearly as cruel.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 161
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)