Sep 5, 2011, 6:40 PM EDT
6:40 p.m. EDT update: According to the Boston Globe, Josh Beckett will have his injured ankle examined Tuesday by Dr. George Theodore in Boston.
“It felt like it was locked up and then like it popped in and out of socket or something,” Beckett said after the game.
The Red Sox should know more about his status after the evaluation tomorrow.
“It’s pretty bad timing,” Beckett said. “But I could be back out there in six days. We’ll see. Let’s not put the cart in front of the horse. Let’s do our due diligence.”
Update: The Red Sox have announced that Beckett has a sprained right ankle. No timetable for his return was provided.
On the heels of losing Erik Bedard (knee) for at least a week and Bobby Jenks (back) likely for the rest of the season, the last thing the Red Sox needed was another pitching injury. Unfortunately for them, Josh Beckett just came out of Monday’s game against the Blue Jays in the fourth inning with a leg problem.
Beckett had pitched 3 2/3 scoreless innings and struck out six before departing with a right foot or ankle injury. It’s unclear how he got hurt, but he couldn’t push off the foot and he came out without trying any warmup pitches.
With a 12-5 record and a 2.49 ERA, Beckett has arguably been the AL’s second best pitcher this year. If he has to miss a couple of turns, the Red Sox would be left with a rotation of Jon Lester, John Lackey, Tim Wakefield, Andrew Miller and maybe Kyle Weiland.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Andrew McCutchen departs game versus Cardinals after aggravating injured left rib cage 2
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 12
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 14
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Report: Cubs calling up top prospect outfielder Jorge Soler 40
- Shin-Soo Choo to undergo season-ending bone spur surgery on elbow 13
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (142)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (89)