Sep 5, 2011, 6:40 PM EDT
6:40 p.m. EDT update: According to the Boston Globe, Josh Beckett will have his injured ankle examined Tuesday by Dr. George Theodore in Boston.
“It felt like it was locked up and then like it popped in and out of socket or something,” Beckett said after the game.
The Red Sox should know more about his status after the evaluation tomorrow.
“It’s pretty bad timing,” Beckett said. “But I could be back out there in six days. We’ll see. Let’s not put the cart in front of the horse. Let’s do our due diligence.”
Update: The Red Sox have announced that Beckett has a sprained right ankle. No timetable for his return was provided.
On the heels of losing Erik Bedard (knee) for at least a week and Bobby Jenks (back) likely for the rest of the season, the last thing the Red Sox needed was another pitching injury. Unfortunately for them, Josh Beckett just came out of Monday’s game against the Blue Jays in the fourth inning with a leg problem.
Beckett had pitched 3 2/3 scoreless innings and struck out six before departing with a right foot or ankle injury. It’s unclear how he got hurt, but he couldn’t push off the foot and he came out without trying any warmup pitches.
With a 12-5 record and a 2.49 ERA, Beckett has arguably been the AL’s second best pitcher this year. If he has to miss a couple of turns, the Red Sox would be left with a rotation of Jon Lester, John Lackey, Tim Wakefield, Andrew Miller and maybe Kyle Weiland.
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 0
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 78
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 57
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (89)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)