Sep 5, 2011, 6:40 PM EDT
6:40 p.m. EDT update: According to the Boston Globe, Josh Beckett will have his injured ankle examined Tuesday by Dr. George Theodore in Boston.
“It felt like it was locked up and then like it popped in and out of socket or something,” Beckett said after the game.
The Red Sox should know more about his status after the evaluation tomorrow.
“It’s pretty bad timing,” Beckett said. “But I could be back out there in six days. We’ll see. Let’s not put the cart in front of the horse. Let’s do our due diligence.”
Update: The Red Sox have announced that Beckett has a sprained right ankle. No timetable for his return was provided.
On the heels of losing Erik Bedard (knee) for at least a week and Bobby Jenks (back) likely for the rest of the season, the last thing the Red Sox needed was another pitching injury. Unfortunately for them, Josh Beckett just came out of Monday’s game against the Blue Jays in the fourth inning with a leg problem.
Beckett had pitched 3 2/3 scoreless innings and struck out six before departing with a right foot or ankle injury. It’s unclear how he got hurt, but he couldn’t push off the foot and he came out without trying any warmup pitches.
With a 12-5 record and a 2.49 ERA, Beckett has arguably been the AL’s second best pitcher this year. If he has to miss a couple of turns, the Red Sox would be left with a rotation of Jon Lester, John Lackey, Tim Wakefield, Andrew Miller and maybe Kyle Weiland.
- Playoff Reset: Both AL Division Series Get Underway 31
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 22
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 52
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (83)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)