Sep 5, 2011, 6:40 PM EST
6:40 p.m. EDT update: According to the Boston Globe, Josh Beckett will have his injured ankle examined Tuesday by Dr. George Theodore in Boston.
“It felt like it was locked up and then like it popped in and out of socket or something,” Beckett said after the game.
The Red Sox should know more about his status after the evaluation tomorrow.
“It’s pretty bad timing,” Beckett said. “But I could be back out there in six days. We’ll see. Let’s not put the cart in front of the horse. Let’s do our due diligence.”
Update: The Red Sox have announced that Beckett has a sprained right ankle. No timetable for his return was provided.
On the heels of losing Erik Bedard (knee) for at least a week and Bobby Jenks (back) likely for the rest of the season, the last thing the Red Sox needed was another pitching injury. Unfortunately for them, Josh Beckett just came out of Monday’s game against the Blue Jays in the fourth inning with a leg problem.
Beckett had pitched 3 2/3 scoreless innings and struck out six before departing with a right foot or ankle injury. It’s unclear how he got hurt, but he couldn’t push off the foot and he came out without trying any warmup pitches.
With a 12-5 record and a 2.49 ERA, Beckett has arguably been the AL’s second best pitcher this year. If he has to miss a couple of turns, the Red Sox would be left with a rotation of Jon Lester, John Lackey, Tim Wakefield, Andrew Miller and maybe Kyle Weiland.
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 67
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 25
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 66
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 256
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (257)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now (93)