Sep 5, 2011, 5:03 PM EDT
Blanton has been out since mid-May with an elbow injury and won’t rejoin the rotation, instead filling a low-leverage bullpen role for now.
Blanton has made just five relief appearances in eight seasons, but had a 5.50 ERA in six starts before the DL stint and the Phillies obviously aren’t short on rotation depth. There’s a chance he could work his way into a middle relief spot for the playoffs.
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 7
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- 2014 Preview: Los Angeles Dodgers 21
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)