Sep 5, 2011, 9:33 AM EDT
Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that the Cardinals are very interested in retaining Rafael Furcal after the season ends.
Furcal, a free agent-to-be, hasn’t hit for average since coming over from the Dodgers, but he has played slick defense and has flashed nice power in his short time in St. Louis. Given how poor the non-Pujols portions of the Cardinals infield has been this season, he would represent a considerable upgrade if brought back and if he’s healthy in 2012. Of course Furcal being healthy is not the sort of thing one bets the farm on.
And it’s also worth noting that Furcal isn’t exactly the Cardinals’ number one free agent priority coming up after the season ends. They have a first baseman who’s pretty good and has probably earned himself a contract of some sort.
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 26
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 3
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 67
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (157)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (100)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)