Sep 5, 2011, 9:33 AM EDT
Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that the Cardinals are very interested in retaining Rafael Furcal after the season ends.
Furcal, a free agent-to-be, hasn’t hit for average since coming over from the Dodgers, but he has played slick defense and has flashed nice power in his short time in St. Louis. Given how poor the non-Pujols portions of the Cardinals infield has been this season, he would represent a considerable upgrade if brought back and if he’s healthy in 2012. Of course Furcal being healthy is not the sort of thing one bets the farm on.
And it’s also worth noting that Furcal isn’t exactly the Cardinals’ number one free agent priority coming up after the season ends. They have a first baseman who’s pretty good and has probably earned himself a contract of some sort.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 5
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 17
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)