Sep 5, 2011, 4:44 PM EDT
So many of you people were agitating last winter for Wally Backman to be in the Mets dugout this season. Well, you’ve finally gotten your wish:
Triple-A Buffalo manager Tim Teufel will serve as an extra coach with the Mets beginning Friday through Sept. 18. Double-A Binghamton manager Wally Backman then joins the Mets on Sept. 20 for the remainder of the season.
Teufel and Backman? Platoon! Now if we can get Dykstra to join Mookie Wilson, then we’d really be in business.
Oh, wait. Sorry. That’s not going to be possible, is it?
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 2
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 44
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 86
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)