What took so long? Jesus Montero homers twice for Yankees in fourth career game

Sep 5, 2011, 4:16 PM EDT

Jesus Montero

Jesus Montero is progressing pretty nicely for the Yankees.

He went hitless in his debut, collected one hit in his second game, notched two hits in his third game, and homered twice against the Orioles today in his fourth game.

Not that there needed to be any more hype surrounding Montero at this point, but here’s a complete list of all the 21-and-under players in baseball history to homer twice in one of their first five games:

YEAR     AGE
Manny Ramirez      1993     21.096
Tom Brunansky      1984     20.234
Billy Conigliaro   1969     21.244
Don Money          1969     21.305
Curt Blefary       1965     21.286
Brian McCall       1962     19.248
Charlie Gilbert    1940     20.290

And now Montero, who is 21 years and 281 days old.

1. bigharold - Sep 5, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Cashman was quated as saying that he thinks this kid can is good in the same vain as Manny Ramirez. Well, the last Yankee that hit his first two HRs in one game was Shane Spencer. That should put a damper on the hype.

I think that he has the tools but it takes more than physical ability. I’d prefer it if all the hype was toned down and he was allowed to develop with a bit less scrutiny.

• yankeesgameday - Sep 5, 2011 at 4:34 PM

I agree, but the great thing about those homers were that they were to the opposite field and very deep. The book on montero was that he could handle the inside pitch, but to be able to extend out over the plate and go out to right field with two shots that did not take advantage of that short right field means we haven’t begun to see the greatness of Jesus montero yet.

• scastro87 - Sep 5, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Why should what Shane Spencer did in his career have anything to do with expectations for Jesus Montero. Shane Spencer was drafted in the 28th round, took 8 years to reach the majors at 26, and hit .274/.360/.454 overall in the minors. Jesus Montero is 21, got a $1.6 million bonus to sign, and hit .308/.366/.501 in the minors. Shane Spencer has nothing to do with Jesus Montero besides both being on the Yankees.

• bigharold - Sep 5, 2011 at 6:08 PM

I wasn’t comparing Spencer to Montero, .. I was commenting on the hype around Montero. Try to keep up.

• scastro87 - Sep 5, 2011 at 6:15 PM

I kept up just fine.

Again why should Shane Spencer also hitting two HRs in one game have anything to do with the hype surrounding Montero?

• md23rewlz - Sep 5, 2011 at 6:05 PM

I’m fine with hype. Dude plays for the New York Yankees and is a consensus #2 or #3 prospect in all of baseball. It’s not like the hype is coming for no reason. He’ll have his struggles, but the guy has all the talent in the world and I don’t really see why Yankee fans SHOULDN’T be optimistic for this guy. There are only so many top prospects out there. When one gets promoted, it’s natural to be excited. And when one gets promoted and has a two homer game less than a week into his major league career, all the better. Granted, any reasonable fan knows that he’ll go through his growing pains, just like every major leaguer this side of Albert Pujols, but so long as a fan understands that, I’m all about excitement. DO NOT TRY TO PUT A DAMPER ON THE HYPE. I ENJOY THE HYPE.

• bigharold - Sep 5, 2011 at 6:11 PM

“I don’t really see why Yankee fans SHOULDN’T be optimistic for this guy.”

i could live without the hype. Specifically, Cashman comparing him, to Ramirez. It’s going o be tough enough to be successful with out placing more burden on him than he already has being a top rated prospect.

• md23rewlz - Sep 5, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Oh, I agree that some of the comparisons are a little premature/much, but I don’t think they’ll have an impact on his development one way or another. If he’s going to be a good player, he’s going to be a good player, and if he’s going to be an average one or a poor one, that’s what’ll happen, regardless of what people say. His inevitable struggles will be talked up more, sure, but scrutiny and hype aren’t what throw him the pitches. If such things actually did have tangible effects on careers, then you would see small market franchises with a higher prospect success rate. Or something like that. #talkingjustforthesakeoftalking

I just enjoy being excited about a young guy coming up on my team. Same as when Chamberlain was first called up, and when Hughes was still thought of as a great prospect (before he blossomed into mediocre middling starter struggling to make the rotation). I’m sure hearing about a guy like Montero being talked up in the Manny Ramirez stratosphere is annoying for non-Yankee fans (and just silly to this Yankee fan), though…

• bigharold - Sep 5, 2011 at 6:46 PM

Optimistic I get, but I can’t see where he benefits from the hype.

“Same as when Chamberlain was first called up…”

And, he has not only had a difficult time living up to the hype but it some ways his efforts to meet unreasonable expectation caused regression. I like Montero a lot but in the end, the less hype the better for his development.

• ThisIsBaseball - Sep 6, 2011 at 1:08 AM

The less hype, the (hopefully) more patient they (media and fans) will be with him. I’d hate to see him chased away when he slumps. Us Yankee fans aren’t the most patient.

2. yankeesgameday - Sep 5, 2011 at 4:30 PM

And that second homer turned out to be the game winner.

3. yankeesfanlen - Sep 5, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Bout time that damn farm team payed off.

• bigharold - Sep 5, 2011 at 4:43 PM

Yeah cause those slackers, Hughes, Robertson, Gardner, Cano, Jeter and Cervelli are just dragging the Yankees down.

How does Cashman keep his job?

• yankeesfanlen - Sep 5, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Aw, c’mon harold, do I have to use an “s” for sarcasm in a circle? You know whose side I’m on.

• ditto65 - Sep 5, 2011 at 5:22 PM

I felt the “s”, Len, and merely thought he was upping the “s” factor. Could be wrong…

• yankeesfanlen - Sep 5, 2011 at 5:26 PM

Probably right, ditto, harold’s a cool dude. Was probably upset that “Build Me Up Buttercup” was #76 on ‘CBS-FM top 1001 and “Lyin’ Eyes” was #151.

• bigharold - Sep 5, 2011 at 6:14 PM

“…do I have to use an “s” for sarcasm in a circle?”

Sorry Len, I got that, .. I was just egging you on. I try to do a better job going forward.

• phukyouk - Sep 5, 2011 at 6:14 PM

you forgot the most overrated of them all. some jerkoff named Mariano Rivera or something like that…

4. proudlycanadian - Sep 5, 2011 at 5:02 PM

Nice, but 21 year old Brett Lawrie just hit a 2 out walk off in the 11th for a 1 to 0 win.

• yankeesfanlen - Sep 5, 2011 at 5:06 PM

And for that, we thank you.

• jimbo1949 - Sep 5, 2011 at 5:16 PM

buy that man a cigar

5. uyf1950 - Sep 5, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Thank god for Jesus.

I was just kidding god. It’s a joke.

• phukyouk - Sep 5, 2011 at 6:16 PM

wow… you guys are friggin crucifying this kid

• ditto65 - Sep 5, 2011 at 6:25 PM

aybe if he didn’t have so many disciples espousing his greatness,,,

6. aceshigh11 - Sep 5, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Aww…it’s so nice that something good finally happens for the Yankees.

Those poor guys usually can’t catch a break.

7. proudlycanadian - Sep 5, 2011 at 8:32 PM

He is the best 21 year old DH in baseball, but he is not the best 21 year old player in baseball. Lawrie is much better hitter and is a very good 2 way player. We have yet to see Montero catch, so there is no indication that the Yankees trust him behind the plate.

• dirtyharry1971 - Sep 6, 2011 at 2:23 PM

Lawrie will join the rest of the bluegay prospects over recent years like snider and draback among many others who turned out to be a total bust. wont be long until we have no baseball in canada and i cant wait!

8. littledill - Sep 5, 2011 at 10:53 PM

On a side note, I thought Jon Sterling would have come with something a little more creative than “Jesus on the loose!”

But seriously, if this kid can play a little defense Yankee fans just might have something really special for years to come.

9. 27xwschamps - Sep 6, 2011 at 1:04 AM

Do not trade this young man !!!! U hear me Cashman ???

10. Panda Claus - Sep 6, 2011 at 8:32 AM

Now that we finally have this milestone behind us, is there really any reason not to put his monument out there in the outfield right now? I mean it’s going to happen if you believe the team followers, so why wait?

11. purnellmeagrejr - Sep 6, 2011 at 9:31 AM

Tom Brunansky seems like a pretty good comp.

12. retief1954 - Sep 7, 2011 at 11:22 PM

I was on this thread last night talking about how Montero would fizzle and the Yankees couldn’t compete without a built-in financial advantage blah-blah-blah.
    I retract it all. I was bein’ a dick. It’s baseball. It’s supposed to be fun. The Yankees represent excellence in baseball, no question, playing within the system. I watch their results every day and i see how they just jump on top most games and they just grind out wins. Gotta give it up for that – they are CONSISTENT. When’s the last time they lost as many as four games in a row? Got swept in a series? I predict they’ll be the AL team in the WS and the NL team will have its hands full.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3048)