Sep 6, 2011, 4:46 PM EST
He’s hardly an impact prospect, but it still seems odd to trade for someone and then immediately waive them. Obviously the A’s were hoping Rice would clear waivers, which would have allowed them to keep him in the organization while removing him from the 40-man roster, but the Indians ruined those plans.
Rice threw 85 innings with a 3.69 ERA and 89 strikeouts at Pawtucket, but the former 11th-round pick also walked 42 batters. All of which is a long way of saying that the A’s basically just gave Conor Jackson to the Red Sox for nothing. And considering his .634 OPS during the past three seasons that seems like the right price.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 25
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 80
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 143
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)