Sep 6, 2011, 4:31 PM EDT
On Friday, Venezuelan reporter Carlos Zambrano (no, a different one) reported that Indians pitcher Carlos Carrasco was going to undergo Tommy John surgery. That was hearsay — he heard it from an Indians farmhand who is friends with Carrasco — but it turns out to be right. Carrasco will undergo the procedure next Wednesday.
Carrasco will almost certainly miss the entire 2012 season as a result. Pretty devastating for both him and for a team that needs every available arm to contribute in order to compete. Indeed, it’s no accident if you track the Indians success this season with Carrasco’s presence and effectiveness in the rotation, there is a huge amount of overlap.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (198)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)