Sep 6, 2011, 4:31 PM EDT
On Friday, Venezuelan reporter Carlos Zambrano (no, a different one) reported that Indians pitcher Carlos Carrasco was going to undergo Tommy John surgery. That was hearsay — he heard it from an Indians farmhand who is friends with Carrasco — but it turns out to be right. Carrasco will undergo the procedure next Wednesday.
Carrasco will almost certainly miss the entire 2012 season as a result. Pretty devastating for both him and for a team that needs every available arm to contribute in order to compete. Indeed, it’s no accident if you track the Indians success this season with Carrasco’s presence and effectiveness in the rotation, there is a huge amount of overlap.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 15
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 33
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 77
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 57
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)