Sep 6, 2011, 4:31 PM EDT
On Friday, Venezuelan reporter Carlos Zambrano (no, a different one) reported that Indians pitcher Carlos Carrasco was going to undergo Tommy John surgery. That was hearsay — he heard it from an Indians farmhand who is friends with Carrasco — but it turns out to be right. Carrasco will undergo the procedure next Wednesday.
Carrasco will almost certainly miss the entire 2012 season as a result. Pretty devastating for both him and for a team that needs every available arm to contribute in order to compete. Indeed, it’s no accident if you track the Indians success this season with Carrasco’s presence and effectiveness in the rotation, there is a huge amount of overlap.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 3
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 10
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)