Sep 6, 2011, 4:31 PM EST
On Friday, Venezuelan reporter Carlos Zambrano (no, a different one) reported that Indians pitcher Carlos Carrasco was going to undergo Tommy John surgery. That was hearsay — he heard it from an Indians farmhand who is friends with Carrasco — but it turns out to be right. Carrasco will undergo the procedure next Wednesday.
Carrasco will almost certainly miss the entire 2012 season as a result. Pretty devastating for both him and for a team that needs every available arm to contribute in order to compete. Indeed, it’s no accident if you track the Indians success this season with Carrasco’s presence and effectiveness in the rotation, there is a huge amount of overlap.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 53
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 43
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 60
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 49
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)