Drew Pomeranz to make his major league debut on Sunday

Sep 6, 2011, 5:45 PM EST

2011 XM All-Star Futures Game Getty Images

Rockies prospect Drew Pomeranz — who came to Colorado in the Ubaldo Jimenez deal — will make his major league debut against the Reds on Sunday.  Not bad for a guy who had an emergency appendectomy a couple of weeks ago and was thought to be done for the year.  It takes me three weeks to recover from a sore hammy after playing basketball with neighborhood dads. Youth. Bah.

Anyway, Pomeranz is a pretty studly prospect. He has pitched in high-A and double-A in his first pro season, making ten starts with a K/BB ratio of 119/38 in 101.1 innings while posting a 1.78 ERA.  There is every reason to think that this kid is going to be a star.

At least to the extent we can throw any expectations on a young pitcher what with the fact that they tend to, you know, break.

1. tashkalucy - Sep 6, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Saw him throw in a Double-A game this year and was not terribly impressed.

A thrower not a pitcher. He was outpitched by a Pirate farmhand.

Doesn’t change speed well. Control is not good enough for the majors.

There are a list of prospects that overpower hitters in AA and AAA, only to hit a wall in the majors.

This entire Jimenez trade is looking to be a wash. Jimenez hardly looks like an ace, White has given up almost a run an inning against 2 terrible hitting teams, and now the Rockies are desperate and want t start Pomeranz.

Good luck with that.

• takemytalentstosoutheuclid - Sep 6, 2011 at 6:40 PM

Strasburg is more of a thrower than a pitcher, too, but he is supposed to be the next Cy Young. Give DP a chance. Given his age and experience, I do not think the ‘top of the rotation expectations” are out of line at this point. Will he get lit up this month? Maybe… but you still gotta say the Rockies got the better end of this trade.

• tashkalucy - Sep 6, 2011 at 8:20 PM

“but you still gotta say the Rockies got the better end of this trade.”

Why?

One guy gives up almost a run an inning, ant the other guy hasn’t even own a game at Triple-A..

• phillyphreak - Sep 6, 2011 at 10:22 PM

What’s the difference bewteen a thrower and a pitcher…..

Anywhoo @tash, I was listening to Keith Law on the Baseball Today show last week talking about how teams are now starting to have their star prospects skip AAA and join the big leagues. Interesting point to consider..and to see if that continues.

2. tashkalucy - Sep 6, 2011 at 11:19 PM

phillyphreak,

You serious?

A pitcher know the objective is to get the batter to hit the ball into the way the defense is set-up. Most outs are recorded by fielders, not strikeouts. Pitchers set-up hitters and get the batter to hit the pitchers pitch.

You don’t know this?

If you’e a “phillyphreak” you surely have seen Cliff Lee pitch.

As far as guys skipping AAA ball, sure, it happens at times over the years. No big trend. It’s like moving good you hitters to be catchers. It happens for a while until the trend followers realize that the taxing physical demands of the position cut down on the players ability to hit. The real baseball people never fall for these gimmicks.

The step between AAA and the big leagues is monsterous. Many don’t make it. Going from AA to the majors is fine for a few guys, but it hasn’t worked with any degree of success when tried in the past.

My point – I don’t think Pomeranz is that good, and the expectations and jumping from AA to he majors is plain nuts. Heck, the Indians were holding him to 5 innings a start in the minors this year.

Look at Andrew Miller now with the Red Sox. 3-4 years ago this guy was a can’t miss pitching prospect with the Tigers. The Marlins insisted he be put in the Miguel Cabrera trade and many though Miller was the ey to the deal. The guy washed out at the major league level and not the Red Sox are trying to get something out of him as a bullpen guy, where he has a 5.27 ERA this year to go along with his 5.75 career ERA.

This whole Pomeranz thing is nuts. Talk about Jimenez losing speed of his fast ball this year – fact is that Pomeranz lost 3 MPH off of his fastball the last half of last season in college.

When I see this guy become a phenom I’ll believe it. Trust me, this is not Stephen Strasburg II here. As bad as the Indians front office is, even they would have held onto him if they thought he was another Stephen Strasburg.

The game I saw, the AA hitters had success going to the opposite field against him.

• phillyphreak - Sep 7, 2011 at 7:09 AM

1) It was tongue in cheek soooooo yea. But my guess is that you’re concerned about his arm action and that made you say he’s a thrower more than a pitcher.

2) I’m glad you can make a judgment on a player after seeing him at one game. It’s always prudent to compare one start of a pitcher against another. I’m also glad that your impressive credentials as a scout can be shared with us here. For what it’s worth, he was ranked 14th by Baseball America at midseason. I’m not saying he’ll be an ace but you can’t write him off either.

3) I’m not saying skipping AAA works, I was just passing along information that I found interesting that I heard an actual scout/baseball person talk about

• tashkalucy - Sep 7, 2011 at 10:51 AM

See reply below

3. mjay424 - Sep 6, 2011 at 11:21 PM

Drew Pomeranz is worth a look at the MLB level. If I’m Dan O’Dowd, I hold off until next season but with the Rockies’ rotation a shambles of injury and ineffectiveness and Pomeranz pitching well all season, he’s deserving of an opportunity.

While I don’t expect him to overwhelm MLB batters he doesn’t have to right now. Just show he can be competitive, minimize walks and big hits, show he can strike out big league hitters and give his team 6-to-7 innings.

Ubaldo Jimenez will do better things in Cleveland down the road. The Rockies need Pomeranz to become a no. 2, White a solid back-end guy or strong bullpen piece and Joe Gardner to make it at least as a quality reliever.

Colorado Rockies Prospects Report

4. tashkalucy - Sep 7, 2011 at 10:45 AM

I’ve been watching professional baseball for over 50 years, and played in college.

You don’t want to take my comments seriously, that’s fine. I will tell you that I saw Carlos Santana play in the minors an said he was not ready to catch in the majors and had no baseball instincts. That has panned out. I will also tell you that the Indians love of Chisenhall is also off base – he is an average hitter that might hit 20 HR’s but he has no position that he can play and hitting .260 with little power is not the best credential for a DH.

As far as my seeing a player for “a game”, yes, it can be done. Were the guy hurting or something that would be different.

As fa as “Baseball America” as a reference, go find some 2-10 year old copies of that rag (or any of the others that rank minor leaguers) and see if you remember eve 1/4 of the prospects they list. And then see if you can find this years All-Star players on those lists, and where they ranked.

Baseball America is like ‘Jimmy The Greek’ was on CBS before football games – his predictions were terribly off-base, but they put him on week after week an people that did no research thought he was a guru. The rest of us found him comical.

• phillyphreak - Sep 7, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Wow. 50 years. That means that you are the most all knowing scout in the world. Good.

For what it’s worth Keith Law had him ranked 35 in his midseason prospect update.

Yep a game. Pitchers are perfect all the time. 100%. Yep. Good.

But I should defer to you…..got it.

• phillyphreak - Sep 7, 2011 at 11:58 AM

It should also be noted that All-Star players does not necessarily mean best/most talented players.

Of course every prospect list is going to have players that don’t pan out. The problem is, I guess for you, that I put more stock in respected reputable scouts then your opinion. And it’s not just one scouting report I like to look at- I read whatever I can get my hands on. Multiple scouts watching him a multiple games. Again, not claiming that he’ll be an ace but I’m not ready to write him off because you say he can’t pitch. I’ll give you an example why here:

In a game this season:

Player A: 4IP 7 H 4BB, 1K 7ER
      Player B: 8IP, 4H, 1BB, 8K 0ER

Crap. Player B is better because of this one game.

Player A is Lincecum, Player B is Mike Leake.

• phillyphreak - Sep 7, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Also for the record, I’m not saying you’re going to be wrong here either. I’m just saying it’s premature….

• phillyphreak - Sep 7, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Check out Baseball Today on 9/1 around 27 minutes to hear the discussion on AAA. They actually address why clubs skip pitchers over AAA, especially if the AAA is in the PCL, which is where the Rockies AAA team plays.. I think it’s at least an interesting discussion.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4717)
  2. M. Kemp (3742)
  3. M. Cabrera (2929)
  4. J. Kang (2797)
  5. J. Upton (2641)
  1. M. Morse (2626)
  2. W. Middlebrooks (2323)
  3. A. Rios (2288)