Sep 6, 2011, 5:45 PM EDT
Rockies prospect Drew Pomeranz — who came to Colorado in the Ubaldo Jimenez deal — will make his major league debut against the Reds on Sunday. Not bad for a guy who had an emergency appendectomy a couple of weeks ago and was thought to be done for the year. It takes me three weeks to recover from a sore hammy after playing basketball with neighborhood dads. Youth. Bah.
Anyway, Pomeranz is a pretty studly prospect. He has pitched in high-A and double-A in his first pro season, making ten starts with a K/BB ratio of 119/38 in 101.1 innings while posting a 1.78 ERA. There is every reason to think that this kid is going to be a star.
At least to the extent we can throw any expectations on a young pitcher what with the fact that they tend to, you know, break.
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 1
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 3
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 51
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 30
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 14
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (265)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)