Sep 6, 2011, 5:45 PM EDT
Rockies prospect Drew Pomeranz — who came to Colorado in the Ubaldo Jimenez deal — will make his major league debut against the Reds on Sunday. Not bad for a guy who had an emergency appendectomy a couple of weeks ago and was thought to be done for the year. It takes me three weeks to recover from a sore hammy after playing basketball with neighborhood dads. Youth. Bah.
Anyway, Pomeranz is a pretty studly prospect. He has pitched in high-A and double-A in his first pro season, making ten starts with a K/BB ratio of 119/38 in 101.1 innings while posting a 1.78 ERA. There is every reason to think that this kid is going to be a star.
At least to the extent we can throw any expectations on a young pitcher what with the fact that they tend to, you know, break.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (124)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)