Sep 6, 2011, 5:45 PM EDT
Rockies prospect Drew Pomeranz — who came to Colorado in the Ubaldo Jimenez deal — will make his major league debut against the Reds on Sunday. Not bad for a guy who had an emergency appendectomy a couple of weeks ago and was thought to be done for the year. It takes me three weeks to recover from a sore hammy after playing basketball with neighborhood dads. Youth. Bah.
Anyway, Pomeranz is a pretty studly prospect. He has pitched in high-A and double-A in his first pro season, making ten starts with a K/BB ratio of 119/38 in 101.1 innings while posting a 1.78 ERA. There is every reason to think that this kid is going to be a star.
At least to the extent we can throw any expectations on a young pitcher what with the fact that they tend to, you know, break.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 56
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)